Mouse in the cold room

hahaha well the score is even now, it took another night but one of the traps got triggered last night and here is what was in there:

WP_000189.jpg

The other one was still with the bait in it so I assume it was only one, or the second one got scared...will leave the traps there for a while longer to see what happens though.

Thanks to all for the good advice. :clapping:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

That appears to be a Deer Mouse Emil, be careful cleaning up after it as it could be a source of Hantavirus.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/EHSPHL/factsheet/hanta.htm

waooo never heard of it....hmmmm now you got me scared as I did wipe out by hands some of the dropping the other day and did move the trap by hand today even my son moved the trap with the mouse hanging in there....we all washed hands after words but you sure got me thinking....just read more on the net about the Hantavirus and it seems all cases have been west so far....but who knows....hmmmm.....got to see how to safely clean the whole cold room now....not to mentioned we all drink juice made from the apples that were on the same shelve where the dropping were....of course all washed and the part the mouse bit removed etc....but.....well well well....

Thanks for letting me know wish I knew it earlier....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

waooo never heard of it....hmmmm now you got me scared as I did wipe out by hands some of the dropping the other day and did move the trap by hand today even my son moved the trap with the mouse hanging in there....we all washed hands after words but you sure got me thinking....just read more on the net about the Hantavirus and it seems all cases have been west so far....but who knows....hmmmm.....got to see how to safely clean the whole cold room now....well well well....

Thanks for letting me know wish I knew it earlier....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

There have been reported cases in Ontario, while odds of contracting it may be slim you should at the very minimum exercise caution while cleaning up.

http://www.actionpes...hantavirus.html

A light solution of bleach and water ( 1:10) sprayed over the surfaces prior to wiping will take care of any Hanata Virus. A mask is also advised to avoid breathing in any dust. Dirty little rodents. Glad to see another one bite the dust :clapping:

Edited by Old Man

well I was panicking mainly because the kids got too close to the dead mouse and they have been in and out of the cold room where all those dropping were on the shelves multiple times...and as I said I did wipe the dropping two days ago with my bare hands and damped them in the kitchen garbage bin...now I read that hentavirus gets transfered by air...so you can imagine how happy I am with my own past actions...small mouse created big problems :wallbash: so quick read on the web...etc....even spoke to the local region health inspector who confirmed they haven't had any cases in Ontario, and very very few out West...apparently some mice were tested with this virus in Northern Ontario but no humans here ever got it.

I asked how best/safest to clean up the cold room now and he suggested HEPA filter respirator...it just happens to be super expensive and not easy to find...then he told me to go and by the best mask I can find and do the bleach and water ( 1:10) sprayed over the surfaces prior to wiping. Kind of after the fact in my case since I've done all that I shouldn't have already :rolleyes:

Long story short...no one enters the cold room until I figure out how to clean it safely...what a mess....brrrr....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Taking a few precautions isn't a bad idea, but I've spent a large part of my life on a farm in western Canada and have had to deal with my fair share on mice, rats and other rodents and haven't ever gotten sick from it. We had a family of mice move in and nest in the cab filter compartment of our combine one winter and by the time we discovered it late that summer when servicing it for harvest, it was a stinking mess. The chewed up a $100 cab filter an pissed and crapped every where. We cleaned it up the best we could and replaced the filter, but that cab stunk of mouse piss until the day we traded it off. I got stuck running that combine all harvest and hence developed a real hatred for all types of rodents. I say. kill em all. :lol:

Edited by Old Man

Try the humane(live) traps. They work amazing, are reusable and the little guys can keep their lives.

After all they are just looking for warmth and food like most animals. No need to kill everything we humans touch is there?

I put a small piece of stale bread or cracker in them with some peanut butter or soft cheese smeared into it.

Set the live trap with the opening pushed up against the wall and in line with it. Mice like to follow along walls and will be enticed by the dark hole of the trap and smell of something good inside. Check it twice a day or more.

After a successful capture and release, wash everything with mild dish soap and a few drops of bleach and wash your hands a couple times after handling them, the traps and bait and after cleaning their droppings.

Of course you need to find where they are getting in and block it.

Ours got in the dryer vent screen(chewed through the plastic grate) and then through the plastic discharge tube. I replaced the plastic dryer vent hood with a metal one that closed properly and also replaced the flimsy plastic tube with a thick aluminum one. No more mice.

Try the humane(live) traps. They work amazing, are reusable and the little guys can keep their lives.

After all they are just looking for warmth and food like most animals. No need to kill everything we humans touch is there?

I put a small piece of stale bread or cracker in them with some peanut butter or soft cheese smeared into it.

Set the live trap with the opening pushed up against the wall and in line with it. Mice like to follow along walls and will be enticed by the dark hole of the trap and smell of something good inside. Check it twice a day or more.

After a successful capture and release, wash everything with mild dish soap and a few drops of bleach and wash your hands a couple times after handling them, the traps and bait and after cleaning their droppings.

Ours got in the dryer vent screen(chewed through the plastic grate) and then through the plastic discharge tube. I replaced the plastic dryer vent hood with a metal one that closed properly and also replaced the flimsy plastic tube with a thick aluminum one. No more mice.

The Live bait method, Muskie and pike love them!

hahaha well the score is even now, it took another night but one of the traps got triggered last night and here is what was in there:

WP_000189.jpg

The other one was still with the bait in it so I assume it was only one, or the second one got scared...will leave the traps there for a while longer to see what happens though.

Thanks to all for the good advice. :clapping:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Ohhhh the horror. Is this a hunting forum now?

JK killed a 100 of them buggers in my life.

Nah, kill'em all

They are called a rodent/pest for a reason, one being they carry disease...