Mouse in the cold room

Well,

Signs show I must have a mouse or couple in my basement cold room. Last couple weeks something is chewing on my apples I have stored there since last fall...not many apples left now but when I take the chewed ones out couple days later bammm new ones are chewed....We store apples in the cold room every year and never had a mouse finding them for the past 8 years but this one I guess was more creative....so we know it is a hungry mouse for sure :rolleyes: Must have got in through the vent...door to the basement is very well sealed so hope it doesn't escape the cold room and moves to the basement as then problems gets bigger....

So what is the best/quickest way to get rid of this invader? Poison? Trap? Both?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Well,

Signs show I must have a mouse or couple in my basement cold room. Last couple weeks something is chewing on my apples I have stored there since last fall...not many apples left now but when I take the chewed ones out couple days later bammm new ones are chewed....We store apples in the cold room every year and never had a mouse finding them for the past 8 years but this one I guess was more creative....so we know it is a hungry mouse for sure :rolleyes: Must have got in through the vent...door to the basement is very well sealed so hope it doesn't escape the cold room and moves to the basement as then problems gets bigger....

So what is the best/quickest way to get rid of this invader? Poison? Trap? Both?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

IF

Just put out a couple of traps and make sure your exterior vent is covered with some screen (metal not the chewable stuff used in windows and doors). The mice have found a way in and the only way to stop them from using it is to plug the leak. If you find a small hole or gap between the rim joist and foundation plug it with some steel wool (available at the hardware store), this will keep them from coming in.

Mice can get through amazingly small openings. You will need to find and plug them. To get rid of the ones already in there do not use poison. Just a mouse trap with a dab of peanut butter. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days.

IF

Just put out a couple of traps and make sure your exterior vent is covered with some screen (metal not the chewable stuff used in windows and doors). The mice have found a way in and the only way to stop them from using it is to plug the leak. If you find a small hole or gap between the rim joist and foundation plug it with some steel wool (available at the hardware store), this will keep them from coming in.

What is the best bait to put in those traps?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

OK...peanut butter it is...what is a good mouse trap I should buy to make sure it does the job the first time?

Hope not those $1.59 spring/woody things I just saw on Canadian Tire web site...as they do look cheapy...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/MosquitoPestControl/RodentDeterrentsTraps/PRDOVR~0593608P/Victor+Mouse+Traps%2C+2-Pk.jsp?locale=en

Also should I take out the remaining apples so the mouse has nothing to eat as then it must go for the peanut butter?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Yup x35 on the peanut butter, works hands down better than cheese. We use peanut butter in the bucket trick at the hunt camp and it clears em out real quick.

If you don't know the bucket trap ours works just like this...

Fille the bucket half full of water if yo uwant em dead. or just catch them and let them go if you want them alive....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxwCp7Iskvs&feature=related

Edited by jedimaster

Yup x35 on the peanut butter, works hands down better than cheese. We use peanut butter in the bucket trick at the hunt camp and it clears em out real quick.

If you don't know the bucket trap ours works just like this...

Fille the bucket half full of water if yo uwant em dead. or just catch them and let them go if you want them alive....

You do need a tripod. ;)

I was half expecting an owl to come swooping in and snatch micky. :oops:

Well bought two traps and just set them up with PB and cracker...waiting to see what happens tonight ha ha ha...took 4 more half eaten apples out....took all other food out of the cold room as well...so the mouse will either starve to death of be caught in the trap....either way works for me :thumbsup_anim: Thanks for all the expert info :clapping:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Once you have solved your mouse problem - Make sure you do a good clean up

of the cold room as mice poop & piss quite abit......

Yep I noticed while taking the food out today there were lot of black tiny droppings all over the shelves...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

One more important point no one mentioned yet. Mice and rats prefer to run/walk along walls, they feel safer. Place the mousetrap with the peanut butter side towards the wall. If you set it in the middle of the room, there's a chance the mouse will come in from the wrong side, trip the flipper and end up getting tossed in the air and escape. I've seen it in action, funny as hell.

One more important point no one mentioned yet. Mice and rats prefer to run/walk along walls, they feel safer. Place the mousetrap with the peanut butter side towards the wall. If you set it in the middle of the room, there's a chance the mouse will come in from the wrong side, trip the flipper and end up getting tossed in the air and escape. I've seen it in action, funny as hell.

It's only funny if yer not the mouse. :w00t:

Definitely put them perpendicular and right against the walls.

Edited by kickingfrog

OK...peanut butter it is...what is a good mouse trap I should buy to make sure it does the job the first time?

Hope not those $1.59 spring/woody things I just saw on Canadian Tire web site...as they do look cheapy...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/MosquitoPestControl/RodentDeterrentsTraps/PRDOVR~0593608P/Victor+Mouse+Traps%2C+2-Pk.jsp?locale=en

Also should I take out the remaining apples so the mouse has nothing to eat as then it must go for the peanut butter?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Spend a few more dollars and get this trap, CTC 59-1924-8. It has a larger trigger pan, and more likely to trap it. Use peanut butter as advised and place it along the walls do that the pan is facing the wall. That way when they run along the wall as they are wont to do, they will trigger the trap, even if they weren't after the bait.

I use this trap all the time and they can be set to be rather sensitive. I very rarely have an escapee. Sometimes though, they are not killed immediately and can/will drag the trap into a hidey hole while they expire. You will find out in a few days that they have expired by the smell. I usually attach the trap with a piece of wire to a heavy object if possible. Even a 12" stick tied in the middle to the wire would work.

Good luck.