What's your Must Have Checklist When in Bush

mirogak

Duct tape is good --- Gorilla tape is better!

Solo is right -- you can make do without a saw/hatchet. If you don't believe him though, get one of those bucksaws that fold up into one single aluminum tube. All the components come out of it, as it forms half the frame. Will cut through anything. DON'T get the plastic handled, folding bucksaws....the blades heat up and snap far too easily. Even if you think you're being careful.

To this point, needle and thread as well. Stitches are often required.

Crazy glue works great to seal up wounds in place of stitches. Not a bad idea to bring needle & thread either though.

Butterfly stitches (Steri-strips) are better than crazy glue (and hurt much less when a real Dr has to tear the glue off to correctly stitch you up) and much more hygienic than do-it-yourself stitches.

Dan

Edited by dannyboy

All the items listed are great. It may have been mentioned however don’t forget to leave your itinerary with the people at the park office (I believe the ask for it anyway) and leave it with someone at home. The park is a beautiful place when you’re prepared a nasty place when you’re not! Enjoy!

You can't put hard liquor in a nalgene dumb dumb. :)

Wups :wallbash:

What if it's mixed?

Vodka waters is one of my camping favs. Almost always in a nalogine. 50-50, with a shot of lemon.

Solo is right -- you can make do without a saw/hatchet. If you don't believe him though, get one of those bucksaws that fold up into one single aluminum tube. All the components come out of it, as it forms half the frame. Will cut through anything. DON'T get the plastic handled, folding bucksaws....the blades heat up and snap far too easily. Even if you think you're being careful.

I think those are a PITA. I just take a small( 14-16"?) bowsaw with the blade protected and just stick it in the canoe. I double carry over ports and I usually have hands free to carry light stuff.

Bring some of those waterproof cases for maps etc. I always like to have 2 copies of maps with me and store them in different locations just in case.

I am always kind of anal about trip planning so if you have a larger group its not a bad idea to create a trip planning document that outlines the route, checklists, costs, meal plan...

On the topic of food, make sure you have some nice jerky and GORP. Change of clothes at the car, lip balm (honestly my lips get just blistered after a couple days in the bush).

I have also started to bring baby wipes for cleaning things and myself. they pack easy and can be burned or packed out.

Also check the weather diligently before you leave. I have been up there in May and had 20 degree weather and also had 0 degree weather.

Edited by torco

Huh? Well obviously nobody brings in regular rice. Beyond the fact it takes forever to cook, it's also too heavy.

We do-- actually Carribean rice and beans mix(flavor plus more protein that way). I have a homemade wood stove so my fuel is limitless and I don't mind the time. (These are 'non-gonzo', non-fishing trips where we double carry)

**************************************************************************************

Instant rice on the other hand weighs absolutely nothing.(and is tastelesslaugh.gif)

Being a coffee freak I've tried every method under the sun. I like using a small lightweight french press at times, but when weight and space is of the utmost importance I use the Starbucks Via instant coffee.

There's a little metal filter that you can get from MEC that you place atop your mug.Works well)

A tarp. And not the traditional heavy Canadian Tire variety. You can now buy ultalight nylon tarps at places like M.E.C. that weigh absolutely nothing.

Unless I'm on a seriously long expedition I always have a single burner camp stove.

The lightest are the MSR Whisperlite or anything else (there are many) of a similar design. That is, a separate fuel tank attached to a small collapsable burner via a hose of some type.

They are indeed light...but fact is I hate them all LOL!

Perhaps it's because of the amount of use I give them, I'm hard on equipment, but this style of stove has given me nothing but problems. You have to prime them, the jets constantly clog as does the pump.

They're a wee bit heavier, but if you can find one the old Coleman Peak 1 stoves are fantastic. They also make a multi fuel version of the same stove that's great...you can run unleaded gas in it.

They're a single burner stove with an integrated fuel tank all in one. No priming, and absolutely bombproof. These stoves will never let you down.

*************************************************************************************************

Totally agree---those little jet engines are a PITA and sometimes dangerous. My Peak 1, OTOH, is great and weighs just slightly more.

*******************************************************************************************************

Another thing to consider is water. Some guys will treat the lake water with chlorine tablets or iodine. Many times I'll simply scoop it from the middle of the lake (less chance of windblown bacteria) and drink it untreated.

****************************************************************************************

Rather than iodine, these days many use Pristine which leaves very little taste on the water. Sometimes sold at CTC but, if not, at an outdoor store.

A REALLY great idea though are the tiny compact water filters that screw right into the lid of a standard nalgene. You can literally throw the hose into a rancid swamp and in a couple of minutes you'll fill that 1 litre bottle with sparkling clean drinking water.

Here's the one I have:

http://www.mec.ca/AS...ater-filter.jsp

*********************************************************************************************************

Does that 1 have a ceramic cartridge? My old MSR does and is quite slow compared to the paper type filters used by Pur, for e.g.)

****************************************************************************************

There's lots more, but that's enough for now. :)

(How the heck do you do that multi-quote thing anyhooo?)

I think it bears repeating that a proper first aid kit is a MUST. It should be able to cover most incidents you'll encounter. Anti-histamines, alcohol swabs, surgical/ medical tape etc..

Yes for back country camping where help is not readily available a full first aid kit is required.

Training on how to perform first aid is also very important.

Butterfly stitches (Steri-strips) are better than crazy glue (and hurt much less when a real Dr has to tear the glue off to correctly stitch you up) and much more hygienic than do-it-yourself stitches.

Dan

I'll second that.

a punch won't scare off a nosey bear when he's sniffing in your tent.

Yes it will!!!

Most times any way.

My friend had a grizz pushing in on his tent in AK last September and he reared off and drilled it in the nose with a colossal rigut cross and it left the area like it was on fire!!! He did have his trusty 44 mag as backup but firing off a hand cannon inside a nylon tent is a last resort as the muzzle flash instantly melts a giant hole in the tent!!! :w00t:

If you really want to go light one of these pocket chainsaws works well.

No axe, no buck saw just a small tin with a piece of chain and rope.

sawcases.jpg

Lots of good info here for sure , like others have said forget the axe/hatchet lots of blowdowns and beaver lodges in the back country, as well

you don't want to be putting an axe blade into your shin when your miles from civilization , seen it happen and was a real bugger getting back !

Also a small packet of baby wipes are really handy for cleaning your self up as well as a small bottle of sanitizer.

I might of missed it here but if your going into the back country you definitely need some bear bells , the last thing you want to do is stumble

into a bear and her cubs.

If you are going in the shoulder seasons May/September take a wool touque with ya , it gets surprisingly cool/cold in the north that time of year and

a nice wool hat can definitely take the chill off especially if it is cool and damp ,as well it is good to sleep with it on when it is cold at night,

trust me on this one !

Might think of some more stuff later

What no mention of the spork ??C'mon fork and spoon all in one???

Mike going to have to try that instant coffee your talking about. I miss coffee when on trips. All my meals are normally Noodles and Sauce with cut up dried sausage in it. Great flavour and meat doesn't need to be kept cold. When added to the pasta while cooking it, it moistens the meat and the meat leeches its flavour into the pasta

Lots of good info here for sure , like others have said forget the axe/hatchet lots of blowdowns and beaver lodges in the back country, as well

you don't want to be putting an axe blade into your shin when your miles from civilization , seen it happen and was a real bugger getting back !

Also a small packet of baby wipes are really handy for cleaning your self up as well as a small bottle of sanitizer.

I might of missed it here but if your going into the back country you definitely need some bear bells , the last thing you want to do is stumble

into a bear and her cubs.

If you are going in the shoulder seasons May/September take a wool touque with ya , it gets surprisingly cool/cold in the north that time of year and

a nice wool hat can definitely take the chill off especially if it is cool and damp ,as well it is good to sleep with it on when it is cold at night,

trust me on this one !

Might think of some more stuff later

Excellent advise

Most have been mentioned but how about : sun glasses, a lighter, antacid tabs, aspirin, prep H, sunscreen and a candy bar. The prep H is great for bug bites, relieves itching. Also splurge on extra toothpaste to wash hands after fish cleaning to eliminate that smell.

I used braided fishing line to give myself a stitch while fishig before. It got removed once I got to the hospital and a real stich got put in. Crazy glue does work well as well.

For a weekend you realy don't need alot. I mean think about it. Could you survive in your backyard for a weekend with nothing? yah probably. the length of your portages and the amount of weight your willing to carry is critical. I have spent alot of time in the backcountry in algonquin. I would bring the following

Basic first aid kit

Good hunting knife

Something to star a fire with(water proof matches put a pack in your jacket, some in your fishing bag, some in your sleeping bag, some in your backpack) if you take a dunk its not likely that everything will be soaked) The water is going to be cold still and fire is you buddy.

Cooking stuff(light as possible I have an ancient tin set)

Forget the grill most backcountry camping spots have grills already, and worse comes to worse use two thick green branches or some rocks.

Water tablets or water pump(depending on what lakes your on)

Drink crystals (I like gatorade to make lakerade)

coffee or tea whatever does your fancy

Some freeze dried soup mixes (enough for every meal) They are light and can be used to season fish, get some with noodles, some with rice, all with veggies...

Some bread and peanut butter

Toilet paper

A towel

Soap

Folding buck saw(lighter than a hatchet) or a rope saw they are good as well

I never bring bear spray but lots of people do. Don't spray it inside a tent unless you are ready to cry like a baby... saw that once.

I bring a spool of twine and duct tape... Twine is fairly strong and lighter than rope.

Tent and a sleeping bag.

Bring a compass and a map if you plan on going deep or getting off the beaten trail

(I just bring my gpd instead of that stuff now as I know where I am going and I just want to know how much

longer)

As for clothes pack the clothes you need then put half of it away and don't bring it. Your fishing and camping not in a modelling contest.

The blackflies will be on full force they were already out last weekend, so bring deet and a bug net for the trails.

Edited by jedimaster

Also, they ask at the gates and all, but hey, let someone know EXACTLY where you are going and the route you are taking. You can PM me the exact location if you wish ;) I think this is very important. I know you dont think things can go wrong, but they can.