Question for the fly fishers

misfish

After what I seen today (which was fasinating to watch),I want to get a fly combo. Nothing to extream,just something that will please me.Weekend angler,and also if I don,t like it (Im sure I will)Just like I got hooked on the pin. ;) I see combos in a package.I,m thinking thats not the way. :dunno:

Questions,,,

Main Line

Backing line

Flys- wet/dry and whats the difference? When to use?

Im thinking a 10-11 ft rod. :dunno:

Ok got to go.wifes looking over my shoulder. :oops:

Thanks in advance.

PS No Chris,I wont need a custom. But if I do,I know where to go. :good::D

Thinking of targeting any particular species with the fly rig ? Pike and bass will need a bit heavier setup than trout (I was after small browns in a small stream). I have a 9' rod with 7 or 8 wt line for bass.

and btw, kiss your cc balance good bye ;)

You could use your pin and use dry flies,been hearing a lot about that Brian. Somewhat similar just have to vary your line speed back.

I have a fly rod pretty well rigged up,just need a good teacher sometime.:clapping:

You have a link about that Dave? Maybe you and I can go out together and catch a few branches on the back swing. :rofl2:

Edited by Misfish

You have a link about that Dave? Maybe you and I can go out together and catch a few branches on the back swing. :rofl2:

Lol, I don't think in those tight Quarters a fly rod is not .going to be any better,but if I remember correctly I caught more branches than you!!:thumbsup_anim:.If you have your waders there should be enough real estate from the side? No?.

Im looking at small creek/stream trout.Maybe up grade to larger rivers. Thats if I get it down pat.

Lost me on the,kiss your cc balance good bye. :dunno:

Some of the combos out there are quite good for the $$$. Looks at the BPS and Cabelas combos. If you are just going after small stream trout I would go with a light 4 or 5 wt setup, with a floating weight forward line (easier ot cast than adouble taper) and 20# backing. There are those that will tell you to get a 6 or 7wt but I would not if you are chasing smaller fish with smaller flies and tippets.

I used to fish the Grand for browns and my 4wt or 5wt were my rods of choice depending on what flies I was likely to throw on the day. 5wt was used when I was chucking large weighted flies like buggers and muddlers while the 4wt was brought out for tossing dries and nymphs.

A 9' rod is perfect for length unless you are fishing large rivers where keeping line off the water and mending at distance is required.

Heavier weight rods such as 7wt-9wt are best for fishing salmon and steelhead in bigger flows (I use my 7wt mostly for lakers and Kenai River silvers) and my 9wt is reserved for pike. The heavier rods are made for chucking bigger heavier and more wind resistent flies.

6wt-7wt are perfect for chucking flies for bass it that's what you're after.

There is no need to spend a ton of $$$$ on your first outfit, in fact a less expensive moderate actioned rod is much more forgiving of little mistakes when learning to cast.

Here's a great Deal on a Cabelas starter combo.

Hey,

For small stream trout as already mentioned a 4-5wt is probably a good start. I personally use a 3wt for my summer small stream trout fishing but it is up to you. If you are going to be fishing little creeks with lots or trees/obstructions you might want to look at a shorter rod maybe 7' 6" or 8', it will probably be a little more manageable.

As for a reel, no need to go expensive when going for small trout as it won't be very often that you get a fish peeling off drag, its mostly just to hold the line. Get a reel that balances nicely with whatever rod you choose and you should be happy

Others may be more helpful for line choices, but I have had good experiences with lines from the main manufacturers, Scientific Anglers, Orvis, Rio, etc. Definitly a WF Floating line will help ease the learning curve a little compared to a double taper.

Not sure of your budget but I use an Allen Xa 7'6" 3wt with a Orvis Battenkill reel and a 3wt Orvis Wonderline gen3 WF line. It is a very comfortable and light set up.

Good Luck

Sean

If you find yer really digging throwing flies, then you may get the itch to upgrade and that's a slippery slope which leads to trips to Labrador or BC or destinations further afield, which in most cases hurts the pocketbook ;)

It true!!!

Why do you think I live in the NWT and spend my vacations in places like Alaska? :whistling:

Whats the dif between, wet/dry fly?

Wet= sinking ie nymphs, streamers etc

Dry= floating ie. elk hair cadis, hoppers, adult mayfly imitations.

You can use wet flies on a floating line but dry flies don't work so well on a sinking line. ;)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Brian,let me check my flies. I think there mostly wet,I can pick up a half dozen recommended dry and use what we have and give it a go on Sat if you like?. If we use our spinning outfits with mono that will work in those conditions. No 3 km walk please Lol.:worthy:

Brian, Depends on what you want to fish. I currently have 21 Fly combos from 3 wt to 12wt. I have more Fly Gear then you can imagine. Be very carefull, fly fishing is an addiction like no other. I have exact combos home in Newfoundland and Here now. For what you want I would go with a 8'6" or 9' rod. 7 wt Mid arbour reel with a nice Wf-fl line. This will give you the ability to use both Wet and Dry flies. High quality line will allow you to have the best of both worlds. The smaller streams you will have to perfect the roll cast somewhat. Its not that hard. Even with a strike indicator that type of setup will also allow you to go into some nice Steelie rivers, Brooies even. 5 wt would be ideal for Brookies and resident Bows but wont be a nice combo for bigger fish. This combo will allow you to fish, Bass, Walleye, Browns, Brookies, etc.

I use a 9' 6 wt for resident brookies and browns in your neck of the woods. Sometimes it's a little much, but most of the time it's just right. Small bead nymphs under an indicator are usually the best bet, but when a big hatch hits and you start to see them busting on the surface, tie on a dry and hang on. :thumbsup_anim:

Yes it would.

My favorite Upper Credit rod is my little 7'6" 2wt. :)

I was out that way with my brother inlaw this weekend, had a blast but kept thinking man this 9ft 5wt is difficult to use in such tight quarters. Definitely need to invest soon in a small stream combo.

If you just want to dip your toe, something like this http://www.basspro.com/Redington-Crosswater-Complete-Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Outfits/product/10210402/48387 in the 9' 5wt or this http://www.basspro.com/TFO-Signature-II-Series-Rod-and-Hobbs-Creek-Reel-Fly-Outfits/product/11110505004914/310679 in the 8'6" 5wt would be perfect. The Redington comes with a decent (Rio) line too, whereas the TFO doesn't say so I'd lean towards the former. If you get the hang of it and enjoy it you could add an 8wt for bass and steelhead (bigger flies/ bigger fish).

I am relatively new to this as well but loving it. I have a 8'6" long 6 weight rod and research had told me and my weee bit of experience proved that this was probably the best choice for me. It is flexible enough to do both small and larger trouts. The only thing I wouldn't do with is fish the runs.

Miro