busted transducer

rob v

So today I'm replacing my bilge pump and while doing that I knock my transducer by accident with my knee... and you guessed it - busted the darn thing. Not a happy camper. The arm/elbow that holds the transducer body to the bracket cracked in two. It's a plastic arm that just snapped. Transducer body is fine.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to fix it without replacing the darn thing. I was hoping to glue the two pieces back together Any suggestions ?

I'm thinking some crazy glue or contact cement, but I'm hoping someone else out there has experienced the same thing and can provide me with the benefit of their experience.

I did the same thing with the lawn mower. Was cutting the grass and just knocked it right off.

Buy a new one. I couldn't get it to stay together. Well, I did....but it always broke again when I needed it most. It was more frustrating than anything!

S.

So today I'm replacing my bilge pump and while doing that I knock my transducer by accident with my knee... and you guessed it - busted the darn thing. Not a happy camper. The arm/elbow that holds the transducer body to the bracket cracked in two. It's a plastic arm that just snapped. Transducer body is fine.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to fix it without replacing the darn thing. I was hoping to glue the two pieces back together Any suggestions ?

I'm thinking some crazy glue or contact cement, but I'm hoping someone else out there has experienced the same thing and can provide me with the benefit of their experience.

Sorry to tell you this but I think you are done like dinner on fixing that one, I have tryed to glue them with no luck at all. soon as I gun the boat BANG !!! its gone again. I wish you luck.

I'd have to see where and how it was broken.. but considering a $100 plus replacement I'd be workin on a $2 solution! :D

That easy to say when you got a machine shop in the back yard. lol

You have the same problem I have here on the farm when someone tells me that its broken I find myself saying "challenge accepted" then spending $200.00 for the tool to fix it because you can never have to many tools.

Art

I'd have to see where and how it was broken.. but considering a $100 plus replacement I'd be workin on a $2 solution! :D

I'm with you Wayne - here's a pci - not sure how well you can see it - but

IMG_1834.jpg

Edited by Rob V

I did the same thing with the lawn mower. Was cutting the grass and just knocked it right off.

Buy a new one. I couldn't get it to stay together. Well, I did....but it always broke again when I needed it most. It was more frustrating than anything!

S.

That'll teach ya for mounting a transducer on your lawn mower!

There is a two part crazy glue or super glue that's designed for hard plastic. The first part is a prep thing and the second part is the actual glue. I've only ever used it once but it worked fine for what I was using it on. Don't remember what that was either. Might be worth a look?

click on picture to see , you can't ruin it .... so drill a new hole , put the bolt back thru it , you might have to shim up both sides with barb type flat washers to keep it locked in place .

Edited by Skipper " D "

It's not on the side of the tube, but I'd try using Lepages PLP construction adhesive. Used it on all kinds of materials, including building up layers on the inside of a cracked and leaking toilet tank (dried out and glue built up to 1/4 inch or so)and it has worked magnificently. Perhaps using a 'plastic' glue for the joining surfaces of the crack to hold together, then building an exterior layer with the PLP will give it the strength the bond needs to survive boat speeds in water.

I'd attempt a $5 repair before I replaced it.

I'd use one of the kneaded epoxies.

Like this. Available at all marine stores, big box building stores and Canadian Tire

74-87104-2.jpg

And I'd drill small matching holes in the broken faces of the 2 parts and dowel them with a steel dowel made from cutting a common nail. Add extra epoxy around the exterior of the neck of the break to build up some extra support.

If this is a glass boat, mount it inside the boat.

Yep what BB said.

Find a spot on the hull near the transom. Clean and give a light sanding and whip the dust away. Take a small container like a small sour cream plastic container. Cut the bottom out. Place the container on the spot,fill with 2 parts epoxsy. Push the transducer into it.