CRAPPIE REPORT

Pikeslayer

I played hookie for a few hours today and visited a little urban lake (somewhere in Zone 16 whistling.gif ) that is literally minutes from my home. I didn't expect anything other than a relaxing break from the day. Heck, I've rarely been known to fish from shore let alone for panfish. There was quite a few (a couple of dozen?) other fisherman there as well and when I saw them landing fish upon my arrival, things were looking up. I had a line in the water within 5 minutes of arrival, and a fish on 10 seconds later. A decent crappie. Very surprised. Within the hour, I had landed 2/3 of my possession limit. All good sized crappie + a couple of decent sized blugill. Another surprise.

So here's a couple of pics. Left out any of the lake and surroundings even though I don't think this place is a big secret.

P1000265.jpg

These were 'typical' size wise. A few a little smaller, a few a little bigger.

P1000268.jpg

Looks like I've found a nice little lake (more like a big pond) that I can 'retreat' to when I have an hour or two to pass the time.

Slayer

How much meat came off the rock bass, and what do they taste like? I've caught some slab rockies before but always toss them back.

Cold water they are awesome.Summer water thier crap.

So do you marinade them in the Crown? Nice brand BTW :clapping:

Edited by Misfish

How much meat came off the rock bass, and what do they taste like? I've caught some slab rockies before but always toss them back.

Not too sure Sinclair. The bottle was full when I started to clean them. Not so much when I finished :whistling:

As far as taste? Not sure there either. Everything went into the food processor together for another batch of cat treats.

Cold water they are awesome.Summer water thier crap.

So do you marinade them in the Crown? Nice brand BTW :clapping:

Actually, I was celebrating your belated birthday Brian. Looks like you had a good oneand many more to come :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Bri, try 40 Creek!

Tried it but not the same flavour. Decent enough though. 3 out of 5 in my book.

Nice haul. I have a little crappie/mudcat honey hole close to our house as well. When I work the afternoon shift I sometimes head over after an early lunch and fish for 2-3 hours before I go to work. Love it.

BTW I have a friend who loves rock bass. Whenever we catch any in the spring he throws them in my basket. After a few trips of this I kept a few to try myself. I actually liked them better then crappie. If they are coming from cold water I would highly recommend you give them a try.

Cats seem to like emwhistling.gif

CAT TREATS....you're feed those tasty crappies to friggin CATS... :w00t:

I going to report you to....to....to someone....I know there a law against this....there must be...RIGHT... :dunno:

Yuze guys must be 'dog people' :whistling::whistling: used to have one myself. Sega, a golden. She used to get venison treats. Now I make them for my neighbours dogs. They love 'em.

That does it, I'm coming down to your place this weekend, I can't seem to find any decent numbers of crappie up here. Nice catch! :thumbsup_anim:

If you do Cliff......don't bring your dog....he's not a dog guy....on the way maybe pick up a possum or something along the road and maybe Pike Slayer will share his spot with you.... :whistling::rofl2:

nice catch buddy...

our crappie bite shut down after that warm weather came to an end...never really got into any GOOD days of fishing...

Perch are by far my favorite fresh water fish. Nothing measures up to them head to head IMHO.

our walleye HERE taste as good as perch in my opinion...and e few other "perch lovers" have said the same...i gave a guy a pack the other day....it was his first time eating anything other then perch.... he said it was just as good...

little trick is to cut your fillets lengthwise to create 2 thinner fillets when eating bigger fish like bass...walleye...pike...etc...then your butter...batter...garlic...lemon...whatever you ad in has the same ratio to perch...