Yearly Manitoulin Trip

Rod Caster

Another year passes, the rainbows make full circle and return to the shallows while the North Bay boys finish up smelting season and plan for a weekend road trip to the Island. Friday's weekend whistle blows as our fueled up and loaded vehicles await impatient drivers. Nearly 3 hrs later, we arrive on the Isle and rush a populated river. The water is very low but there are signs of success everywhere. A carcass here, roe bags there, an annecdote or two from a friendly wader-dressed stranger and our moods were positive. Wishing I had bought new waders, as my delaminating rubber-pants fill with water, the first hour of fishing, aligned with the last hour of daylight, proved unsuccessful. Unphased, we switch to camping mode and access our beautiful, lodge owner-permitted, not a soul around, campsite.

Up at 630, we pound back a pound of back (bacon) with taters and eggs that apparently run-free. Don't ask me how an egg can run...

Our initial location once again proves fishless for everyone in sight and so we drive to plan B, which produced for us last year. As we pull in to plan B with the vehicles, I can see my brother has his truck door partially opened and ready to pounce on that "first cast". "Not gonna happen" I say as I stomp the e-brake and bowl out of the drivers seat. I grab my rod, pre-loaded with a Mepps Aglia Longcast (rainbow pattern) and trip over myself trying to hold the lead ahead of my brother. Slippery and unbalanced rocks are no match for this steady mountain goat as I successfully take the virgin, prime location at the tip of a rock wall. First cast, nothin'. Second cast, SLAM! Fish on! After a great fight I pull in a 4lbs rainbow. My brother, as excited as I, takes his first cast and gets a bite but loses the fish. Three casts later he hooks into a second fish and lands it! Another 4lber! Mr. Joey Tier (Tiger) who has a much cooler head about fishing and doesn't seem to like first cast races, eventually joins the crew and he quickly lands into a 4.5lber. My dad ends up landing the biggest fish at 6lbs!

IMG-20120414-00013.jpg

IMG-20120414-00012-1.jpg

We got at least 10 bites from this spot and the fish eventually moved on...as did we.

We toured the island, had dinner, tried a few other piers but the fishing really slowed down. At this point we considered the trip a success, completed the evening fish, then travelled back home.

Joey stayed the night, since he had a much longer drive home. Here he is with his dinner on the tailgate of his accomodations.

IMG-20120414-00018.jpg

We usually only fish for rainbows once a year, so this trip is always a treat for us! We also keep every fish we can up to our limit because we know that's all we get. This year I took 2 home, much bigger than last year's 3.

Tonight I cooked up some Gravlax, thanks to Bluegills post a couple months ago. I'm really looking forward to trying this for the first time!

IMG-20120416-00019.jpg

IMG-20120416-00020.jpg

IMG-20120416-00021.jpg

See you next year, Manitoulin.

looks like a great get away Chad - nice goin'. Nothing like when your efforts are rewarded with a couple of sweet fish. Cant wait till the weather starts playing nice down here again, and I can get out on the water.