recipe's for wild turkey?

ecmilley

Just smoked a wild turkey on the way to work and it's a biggun as well say 18-20 lbs well since it's done a couple g's damage to the truck i am cooking it up, Big cliff already told me how to clean it, not sure on the cooking part though

Just smoked a wild turkey on the way to work and it's a biggun as well say 18-20 lbs well since it's done a couple g's damage to the truck i am cooking it up, Big cliff already told me how to clean it, not sure on the cooking part though

Get yourself a mylar cooking bag, comes in a pack of 2. add a couple of peeled/sliced apples and onions inside the cavity. A little bit of Thyme and Chicken seasoning(or whatever you like for spice) on the outside. Then put the bird in the bag, punch holes as indicated and follow the rest of the instructions. Cook at a slower rate than regular domestic fowl, no more than 275F, however add about an hour cook time. I did one for the guys at work, meat was fall off the bone tender and moist.

Was he on the road when you it him Ernie or in the air ??

There's all kinds of them over here and I see them everyday and just this morning going into town 4 ran across the road in front of me.

Awhile back though I had one fly across the road right in front of me 4' above the road. I was doing about 80K and didn't miss him by 20' and if I'd been about 1 second sooner he'd have come right into my windshield.

It'd be like hitting a brick that was thrown off a bridge. :stretcher:

It depends on how damaged it is!!! Unless you got a head shot I would pitch it, but by the sounds of it you got a good hit on it. I would pass on eating it.

Deep fried has been the best for me, and you can cook that bird in 20-30 min

yeah doing around 70 at the time, took it on the back, just finished cleaning it up, not in bad shape, no bruising i can see but since i am told it's 4 g damage i am cooking it anyway as i figure it never ate turkey that cost $200/lb

Your best to leave it over night in the fridge to let the meat settle. Other wise it will be chewy as heck!!

Enjoy your exspensive turkey!! Hope you had full coverage on the truck, then it is only $25/lbs LOL

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

wild turkey cubed and cooked in cream of celery soup in a slow-cooker was the greatest meal i have eaten in my entire life.

Be careful if using the bag method as wild turkey doesn't have the fat content as the domesticated ones do. I used the bag and cooked it for the prescribed time for a regular turkey and well the 3 stooges come to mind when they were spitting out feathers after eating something. Sahara dry would be the description. Fried with a coating of egg wash and panko or ground up chips would be good.

I like mine with ginger ale

LOL Straight on ice for me.

All my turkeys ,I have skinned and wrapped with a double smoked thick strip bacon. This spring Im going to try it like a spatchek.Think that,s how you spell it. Slit the breast,lay it flat and cook on the BBQ indirect heat,with a cajun rub and the same bacon.

Be careful if using the bag method as wild turkey doesn't have the fat content as the domesticated ones do. I used the bag and cooked it for the prescribed time for a regular turkey and well the 3 stooges come to mind when they were spitting out feathers after eating something. Sahara dry would be the description. Fried with a coating of egg wash and panko or ground up chips would be good.

That's why I said cook it at a much lower temp and longer. I had at least 3-4 cups of liquid in the bottom of the bag to make gravy.

Was he on the road when you it him Ernie or in the air ??

There's all kinds of them over here and I see them everyday and just this morning going into town 4 ran across the road in front of me.

Awhile back though I had one fly across the road right in front of me 4' above the road. I was doing about 80K and didn't miss him by 20' and if I'd been about 1 second sooner he'd have come right into my windshield.

It'd be like hitting a brick that was thrown off a bridge. :stretcher:

I had the same happen a few years ago...I was that second sooner...

2009_0506image0012.JPG

Don't know where the bird went and it was only a windshield...sure scared the crap outta me though.

I roll mine in Italian seasonings throw it in a Turkey Pot in Tenderflake Lard ....

Use an injection needle and flood it with Cajun marinade .... AFRIGGINMAZING!!! I do it all the time with little Chickens and Quail ... along with Partridge and Ducks ...

I roast them in the oven. I start with bed of sliced apples, onions & lemons, add liquid like beer/water, lay the turkey breast down for at least 1/2 of the cooking time, cover in bacon, make sure its stuffed. I find cooking breast side down keeps the breast moist as does the bacon. I also seal the roasting pan with tin foil so the moisure stays in. The breast meat is always good, the legs on a jake are fine but the legs on an older larger bird can be tough.

GEDC0080.jpg

grilled turkey at 70 km/h

ended up 1/4 the bird up and slow roasted it in the oven rubbed in cajun spice, was way to lazy to get the deep fryer out the legs/thighs were rubbery but the breat meat came out awesome tender and moist thanks everyone for t he tips