outboard help needed

mike rousseau

ok...

so my 2000 honda 40hp 4 stroke seems to starving for gas after running wide open for a minute or so...

it idles fine...

planes out and runs at full power for about a minute

breather on gas tank IS open

primer ball remains firm

ive already replaced the fuel pump

fuel filter has fuel in it

when it starts to lose power if i pump the primer ball it gets some more power back... thats what made me think it was the fuel pump...

please help...

thanks

mike

ok...

so my 2000 honda 40hp 4 stroke seems to starving for gas after running wide open for a minute or so...

it idles fine...

primer ball remains firm

when it starts to lose power if i pump the primer ball it gets some more power back... thats what made me think it was the fuel pump...

please help...

thanks

mike

Check the filter in the fuel tank.mikdor

Replace your gas line, with one good for ethanol, then run some seafoam thru it. I had the same problem with mine last spring.

S.

The hoses have been approved since at least 1996 for up to 10% ethanol.

Seafoam yes, did you actually see how hard it is to get the gas to flow through the filter?

Edited by Fisherman

sounds likw the filter is plugging up to me, but also a 12 year old fuel line is probably breaking down inside as well or possible small crack in pick up tube in tank or sock on pick up in tank is dirty, borrow a tank and line and try it if it still does it put in a fuel filter.

seafoam is a good idea for maintenance as well

im leaning towards fuel filter...

ive been running seafoam in every tank all fall and winter... so i dont think something got gummed up.... and my boat was used all winter...so gas didnt sit...

i think ill try the filter tomorrow...

keep the suggestions coming guys...

thanks

As much as it doesn't sound right, I use the slightly larger see through filters from Princess Auto instead of the crazy priced OEM dinky little Honda gas filters. If anything gets trapped, I can see it, and for the price they get changed on a yearly basis. If the intank sock(filter) is plugged, undo the fule line at the tank and gently insert a Robertson tip screwdriver against the ball bearing on the tank fitting. Any fuel left in the line will run down and backflush crud around the sock.

Edited by Fisherman

As much as it doesn't sound right, I use the slightly larger see through filters from Princess Auto instead of the crazy priced OEM dinky little Honda gas filters. If anything gets trapped, I can see it, and for the price they get changed on a yearly basis. If the intank sock(filter) is plugged, undo the fule line at the tank and gently insert a Robertson tip screwdriver against the ball bearing on the tank fitting. Any fuel left in the line will run down and backflush crud around the sock.

same here....

also got my fuel filter in the states... shipped to the border for $90 total... to buy in cornwall... $190+tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

always trying to save a buck

I had a friend with that problem last year and we figured out it was the primer bulb itself. There's a one way check valve inside to prevent backflow to the tank and if that's failed, the engine may not be able to draw enough suction especially at higher RPM. The bulb itself may appear to be full but fuel back flow is difficult to detect.

Just a thought?

Peter

ok...

it idles fine...

primer ball remains firm

please help...

thanks

mike

Start from the tank to The engine. My bet is that the pickup has degraded in the tank. Feul lines are ethanol resistant, not ethanol proof. The pickup sits in the fuel constantly. My

buddy had this issue last year. If this isn't it then look closely at the venting for the tank. Good luck.

Start from the tank to The engine. My bet is that the pickup has degraded in the tank. Feul lines are ethanol resistant, not ethanol proof. The pickup sits in the fuel constantly. My

buddy had this issue last year. If this isn't it then look closely at the venting for the tank. Good luck.

From my understanding...wich is based only on Internet research... Is that if it was a problem at the tank (portable in my boat) the primer ball would go soft... And it's staying firm...

At least there are only so many things to slow down fuel...

Thanks

I'm telling ya, try another fuel line. How old is the one on there now?

If you have to prime the ball for it to get enough fuel to run, your line is not working properly, or you have an air leak.

Obvioulsy the pump is working if its running at all, and clearly fuel is getting thru the filter.

I think the problem is getting fuel from the tank to the engine.

S.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

dumb question, but i can only ask it because i've done it myself... was the air open on the gas tank? :thumbsup_anim:

my first inclination was a fuel pump problem as well because priming the bulb in fact is replacing the action of a functioning pump. i'm not sure with outboards, but when a friends snowmobile was starved for fuel, i fixed the problem for him by buying and installing a fuel pump rebuild kit. it wasn't expensive and was easy to do as long as you pay close attention to the order and direction of the 3 membranes inside. do they make these for outboards?

as sinker has suggested there are all kinds of invisible problems you can have with your line as well... the fittings at the tank, bulb, and motor can wear and allow air to enter when the motor is drawing the hardest. as someone else mentioned, lines can actually collapse on the inside if they are well worn. i'm assuming you checked for visible cracks etc.

best way to check is to borrow a buddies gas tank for a day (just changing the lines won't diagnose a problem on the tank fittings, inside the tank). if your motor runs fine with someone elses tank then problem solved. if it doesn't you know you can look at your filter/pump.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

dumb question, but i can only ask it because i've done it myself... was the air open on the gas tank? :thumbsup_anim:

my first inclination was a fuel pump problem as well because priming the bulb in fact is replacing the action of a functioning pump. i'm not sure with outboards, but when a friends snowmobile was starved for fuel, i fixed the problem for him by buying and installing a fuel pump rebuild kit. it wasn't expensive and was easy to do as long as you pay close attention to the order and direction of the 3 membranes inside. do they make these for outboards?

as sinker has suggested there are all kinds of invisible problems you can have with your line as well... the fittings at the tank, bulb, and motor can wear and allow air to enter when the motor is drawing the hardest. as someone else mentioned, lines can actually collapse on the inside if they are well worn. i'm assuming you checked for visible cracks etc.

best way to check is to borrow a buddies gas tank for a day (just changing the lines won't diagnose a problem on the tank fittings, inside the tank). if your motor runs fine with someone elses tank then problem solved. if it doesn't you know you can look at your filter/pump.

Air was open... I've forgot it before and my Honda will colapse the tank before it effects performance...

I'm gunna try a new fuel filter today since I already have a spare...

If that doesn't work I'll borrow the tank and line off of my dads boat...

Hopefully one of those 2 works...

I'm really hoping the fuel filter works do I don't have to go to the cottage to get dads tank...

And they do make fuel pump kits for outboards... All makes except Honda...lol... That's why I changed the whole fuel pump...

Edited by Musky Mike

changed the filter and ran the motor at low rpms for a bit... and it seems my filter is emptying way to fast... like its draining back to the tank... so i think you guys are right about the primer bulb... so im gunna go get one and change that before i take it for a ride later...

and the old fuel filter seemed to be clean... i blew on the intake of the new and old filters with equal resistance...

also... some of my fuel line connections only have the spring type clamps... and i watched the fuel filter when i primed it and the connection leaked a bit... so im gunna get some small hose clamps to tighten up those connections properly...

hopefully ill have an update later today...and hopefully its good news...