outboard help needed

mike rousseau

Mike, sometimes all these parts can get to your memory when it comes to putting her back together........my tip is have your camera near by and take some photos as your tearing her down....then if your not quite sure you can go back and look at your photos.

Just consider that "The Tip of the Day".... :D

Bob

Mike, sometimes all these parts can get to your memory when it comes to putting her back together........my tip is have your camera near by and take some photos as your tearing her down....then if your not quite sure you can go back and look at your photos.

Bob

yup i use my camera when i do teardowns as well, like when i put a 150 evinrude back together after 7 months apart

Bob

thats a good idea... maybe even video everything... then if it goes well...i can put her on the net to show others...

so for me to do the carbs i will will need 3 gasket kits...one for each carb right?

i think i found em here... #2 in the parts list... i think its all the gaskets within the carbs... is that all i need? 3 of those kits?

and maybe 6 of part number 22? just in case...?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2000/BF40AY%20LHTA%20VIN%23%20BAYS-3200001%20TO%20BAYS-3209999/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Did you replace the gas line yet?

i will... i just havent had time yet...

and my canadian tire only has the crappy gas line... so i have to find the good lines somewhere...

whether or not the gas line fixes the problem im still gunna clean the carbs because every so often my needle valve is getting blocked open... so i have debris floating around in there somewhere...

i will... i just havent had time yet...

and my canadian tire only has the crappy gas line... so i have to find the good lines somewhere...

whether or not the gas line fixes the problem im still gunna clean the carbs because every so often my needle valve is getting blocked open... so i have debris floating around in there somewhere...

Change the needle and seat,quite a common problem

well...

changed the fuel line and that did nothing.... but thanks for the suggestion...over and over and over...lol

turned out when i was having the top end issues and it was running rough... my spark plugs got really dirty... so i cleaned em up with sandpaper and brake cleaner...

took it for a spin tonight and all seems fine... running great.... full top end power for a long ride... and dropped to idle 5-6 time and smooth idle every time.... trolling great... nice and slow...

so i am still planning on cleaning the carbs because i have the parts ordered anyways... and i was having issues with the needle valve being blocked open... so a good cleaning and new gaskets should take care of that off and on problem... and the motor should be 100% again...

hopefully...

mike

So you changed the gas line, cleaned the plugs, and its running great. Imagine that! Great news! :thumbsup_anim:

S.

If that's how YOU wanna look at it.....Lol

IM looking at it as the primer ball and spark plugs were the only steps that produced results... And fixed the problems...

And the $100 for a new fuel pump....$6 for a fuel filter...and $20 for fuel lines and SS hose clamps... Did nothing but eliminate possible problems...

I also ran the boat on the water after each step so I knew wich ones worked...

Thanks to everyone for giving me a hand...

I'll be cleaning the carbs in a week or so and might have some new questions then...

Mike

Edited by Musky Mike

ok...

so my 2000 honda 40hp 4 stroke seems to starving for gas after running wide open for a minute or so...

it idles fine...

planes out and runs at full power for about a minute

breather on gas tank IS open

primer ball remains firm

ive already replaced the fuel pump

fuel filter has fuel in it

when it starts to lose power if i pump the primer ball it gets some more power back... thats what made me think it was the fuel pump...

please help...

thanks

mike

check your oil...I had the same prob on a honda 5hp last year turns out it was low on oil and has a built in shut down valve when it gets too hot.

Why do you think your plugs fouled?

It doesn't really matter to me, I could honestly care less, but If you had of just got the fuel line from the start, you would have been done with this long ago.

Anyways, enjoy your time on the water!!

Oh, and you should definitely replace those plugs!!