outboard help needed

mike rousseau

You should of listened the first time I said it and got the gas line, then you would be out fishing right now :whistling:

I had the EXACT problem with my 40hp last spring. New fuel line, and a good dose of seafoam and she was good as new.....I did the same as you, replaced the filter, checked the pump, took a part the tank....it was the line, and that was it. When I took it off and cut it open, it was totally eaten up inside. I have a feeling you have the same issue.

I don't mind if you don't want to take my advice. I'm only trying to save you a few bucks and some of your time. A gas line is cheaper than your filter.....I got a new one at CT for less than $40.

S.

You should of listened the first time I said it and got the gas line, then you would be out fishing right now :whistling:

I had the EXACT problem with my 40hp last spring. New fuel line, and a good dose of seafoam and she was good as new.....I did the same as you, replaced the filter, checked the pump, took a part the tank....it was the line, and that was it. When I took it off and cut it open, it was totally eaten up inside. I have a feeling you have the same issue.

I don't mind if you don't want to take my advice. I'm only trying to save you a few bucks and some of your time. A gas line is cheaper than your filter.....I got a new one at CT for less than $40.

S.

I'm taking all the advice given... And thanks a lot... You've all been helpful... But once I realized my gas was draining out of the line back to the tank... Made me think that it is the check valve in the primer... If not... New lines.... I haven't done the lines because I hate the cheap crap lines at CT stores... Stiff as hell... The stuff I use stays soft and suple for years and years... But can't get it on the weekend...

The line I got at CT is soft. I know the hard ones your talking about, and I wouldn't buy one of them either. Mine is grey in colour if that makes any difference.

Hope ya get her going! There is nothing worse than an engine that's not working right!

s.

changed the primer ball and the fuel filter...both the old ones seemed fine tho..

took it for a rip... my top end issues seem to be gone... :thumbsup_anim:

however... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

now im having issues at idle...running super rough... but not all the time... just sometimes...then sometimes it idles fine for a while... then gets rougher and rougher...

i think im gunna just have to bite the bullet and get my carbs cleaned by a pro...

thanks for all the help...

ill try the fuel line...because it should probably be changed either way...but when i cut the fuel line to install the new primer ball... the inside of the hose looked like new...

and ive been running seafoam in every tank since October...2-3 trips out a week till christmas... then at least once a month this winter... so its seen some seafoam to say the least... im also having an off and on problem with my needle valve getting blocked in my carbs... i really think they need a good cleaning...

but ill try new gas lines and see what happens...

and this tank has 4-5 gallons of fresh super and half a can of seafoam...

As Sinker recommended.....you should change the fuel line Mike. Had the same thing happen to me last summer. Could not believe the problem was the fuel line; looked fine however the the inside had collapsed and was starving the engine of fuel under load etc.

I'm betting one thing that almost everyone forgets to do in the fall(those that drain everything) is to drain the hose and all other fuel lines under the cowl. Leave gas in there for 6 months and I'm thinking ugly things happening in there, and then first thing in the spring, you pump that into the carbs...yech.

I'm betting one thing that almost everyone forgets to do in the fall(those that drain everything) is to drain the hose and all other fuel lines under the cowl. Leave gas in there for 6 months and I'm thinking ugly things happening in there, and then first thing in the spring, you pump that into the carbs...yech.

The longest my boat went without hitting the water this winter was 3-4 weeks...

I'm pretty confident in myself that I could clean em... Problem is getting to em... There lots of other stuff if have to take apart to get to em...

I think I'll try to find a garage I can set up in for a day... Then I can set up a table to keep all the parts is order...

Can you just clean em up or do you need to replace gaskets and everything?

Unless they are fall apart clean, some of the paper gaskets may stick to one side of a part rendering them useless. Some rubber "O" ring gaskets can get deformed too and unless they are put back in exactly the same place.. may as well get a gasket kit..

Unless they are fall apart clean, some of the paper gaskets may stick to one side of a part rendering them useless. Some rubber "O" ring gaskets can get deformed too and unless they are put back in exactly the same place.. may as well get a gasket kit..

I figured that was the case...

Thanks

so for me to do the carbs i will will need 3 gasket kits...one for each carb right?

i think i found em here... #2 in the parts list... i think its all the gaskets within the carbs... is that all i need? 3 of those kits?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2000/BF40AY%20LHTA%20VIN%23%20BAYS-3200001%20TO%20BAYS-3209999/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Edited by Musky Mike