Snap Swivels for attaching lures

mercman

Ok Boyz !!!!!

Thanks for all your help. Biggest problem for us New Anglers is trying what everyone says to try.I will try all ov your ideas at least once for sure. I like Danbobs bestclapping.gif

''Never use snaps or swivels. Even on spinner baits with no loop. I just have a rod for every technique, less tying ''

Now i better start looking for a new place to livew00t.gifrofl2.gif

I use snaps, and I use inline swivels, but the only time I use snap-swivels is for great lakes trolling. I hate them, and I guarantee you will catch more fish without those ugly things on your line.

I use just a snap for jigging spoons, or crankbaits. Pretty much everything else is tied direct, unless I'm using a heavy leader for musky.

Try using an inline swivel to tie your leader from braid, then a snap on the fluoro/mono end for clipping on your lure. In some cases it will improve the action of your baits.

Make sure when you add the swivel between braid/fluoro you don't make it too long. There is nothing worse for your rod tip than casting an inline swivel thru it all day long. It will crack the tip eye for sure, over time.

S.

Try using an inline swivel to tie your leader from braid, then a snap on the fluoro/mono end for clipping on your lure. In some cases it will improve the action of your baits.

Did anyone notice this response? Shane beat me to it.

If using braid (which seems to be the trend these days) consider using a tiny 2-way "ant" swivel to connect braid and fluoro leader.

At the end of your fluoro leader tie on the smallest cross lock snap you can get away with.

The cross lock snap WILL NOT hamper the lures action and the tiny inline swivel will elininate line twist if using spinners.

This combination has saved me a TON of money as well. Small two way swivels and cross lock snaps are super strong and waaay cheaper than buying a bunch of expensive ball bearing snap swivels. Have you seen how much the quality snap swivels go for? It's ridiculous.

This combination has saved me a TON of money as well. Small two way swivels and cross lock snaps are super strong and waaay cheaper than buying a bunch of expensive ball bearing snap swivels. Have you seen how much the quality snap swivels go for? It's ridiculous.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part!

Option A:

A pack of 20 snaps.....1.99

A pack of 100 sivels...3.99

Option B:

A pack of 5 snap swivels....6.99..... :wallbash:

Way cheaper, and more effective with option A.

S.

Knotswallbash.gif All kinds of themwallbash.gif

I have to admit, i can tie them in the comfort of my home while getting ready to go fishing.It may take a couple of minutes to get right, but i can do it. But on the water, i always use really good quality snap swivels.

Some have told me that this negatively affects lure action, and suggest i am an amateur(which i am,just dont like hearing itwink.gif )

I always choose the smallest i can get away with for the type of fishing i am doing at the time.

What are the thoughts of my fellow OFCers on Snap Swivels versus tie direct?

Thanks guysclapping.gif

I tend to use the smallest swivel I can use safely on my main line (palomar), then tie with a lighter lb test fluorocarbon leader (palomar) on the other side of the swivel, then tie directly to my jig or spinner or make the leader into a carp hair rig then tie to the other end of swivel...except when using 4 lb test Berkley for panfish, then I use the same line below the swivel...

I have been known to use the Berkly # 1 snaps for most pickerel and bass lures except when trolling for musky, then it is mostly an eight inch wire leader...

I don't use braid, and will always tie direct unless I'm specifically esox fishing. I'm also not the type to fly through my whole tackle box in a days fishing.

You read my mind Joey B) cause that's exactly what I do... Snap swivel is only used when I target the bottom of the water column :)

All I can add is that if you do use them, don't go with the cheap barrel swivels, get the bearing type. They turn much smoother unlike barrel swivels which under stress can lock in place and then twist. Brands like Sampo or Spro are probably the best. As for the other end, coastlock, crosslock or duo lock are all fine wit me. For those that are a little visually impaired, the "No knot fast snaps" are great for attaching small hooks.

You read my mind Joey B) cause that's exactly what I do... Snap swivel is only used when I target the bottom of the water column :)

Edit: I should of explained myself in more details.... here we go :lol: I never use braid on my softwater gear, only mono and tie direct to the lures unless I'm targeting trout, where a snap swivel comes in handy for a slip bobber type rig :)

On hard water, I use braid and a barrel swivel between a mono leader to cut down on line twist since I'm fishing with a vertical presentation :) It's also true for softwater jigging :good:

Each and every fishing presentation dictates what kind of knot and if there is any snap swivel or snap involved.

I do a LOT of jig fishing so most times I tie my jig on using a Rapala loop knot. This allows that jig the most action while I finesse it into the fishy's mouth....LOL

For casting or trolling stick baits like Rapala's, especially at night I like to use a Berkeley Cross Lok Snap......

If a snap swivel is required to reduce line twist then I use a Cabela's Ball Bearing Cross Lock Snap....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Terminal-Tackle/Swivels-Snaps-Clevises%7C/pc/104793480/c/104779980/sc/104616180/Cabelas-Deluxe-Ball-Bearing-Cross-Lock-Snaps-150-Nickel/738685.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100372%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793480%253Bcat104779980&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104779980%3Bcat104616180

Yes they cost more but the do the job....

For all other terminal direct tie ups I employ a double improved clinch knot that I can tie with my eyes closed....(good thing as I can no longer see the line.... :wallbash: )

Edited by Billy Bob