Helpful hint to hooking up to your trailers .

Skipper D

I've been pulling trailers for more then thirty years just like the most of you and it bothers the hec out of me when i see folks trying to get hooked up and keep missing the coupler to the ball over and over no matter how many times they try . So with no guides or any devices to aid you i'd like to offer up this hint to make life a little easyer on how they can hit the coupler dead on every time , keep in mind that this helpful hint only works with a trailer that is wider then your towing vehicle , for boat trailers the widest point is the out sise edges of the fenders . Next time your hooked up to the trailer and the vehicle and trailer are sitting in a straight line , take a look in both your rearveiw mirors . You will be able to see in each miror the sides of the vehicle and the out side edges of the trailer , take a note at what this space looks like , the space you can see in the miror from the side of the vehicle to the out side edge of the trailer , it could be six inches or 7" or 8" what ever it is and remember it , sitting straight it will be the same on both sides , just remember what that distance is and use that as your guide the next time you back up to the trailer and you will hit the coupler dead on provided you backed up straight inline with the trailer to start with . So many people have watch me hook up over the years and say ...wow how did you do that , your good at that , i say its so simple if you know your equipment . Try it and see if it helps . I've been wanting to share this for so many years and i think i found good spot to do it here this morning . Thank you and good luck . Now if i could only teach some how to back up with a trailer on .......lol .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I just use One of These :whistling:

When I want to hook up my trailer I just drop it on the hitch and back up.

No having to line things up, judge things in the mirrors. Just back up until the hitch contacts the aligner and drop the hitch on the ball. No need to worry about over shooting the ball by a couple of inches and dinging your bumper either.

Are there really people out there that can't back up to their trailers??

I used to have a 12" block of 2x4 I kept in my boat. Every time i would un hook the boat, i would stick the 2x4 behind my back wheel. Next time I backed up, I'd hit the 2x4 before I hit my bumper. Works great till someone moves my block of wood! lol

Its not hard to center up the trailer, but knowing when to stop before you hit the bumper is the trick!!

S.

Good advice Skipper.

It's surprising sometimes to see people back up their expensive boats and trailers. The best tip I got related to this topic was from my old man when I was a punk. Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Move your hand in the direction you want the arse end of the trailer to move.

Try backing up a wielder on wheels with a in-closed van.It only sticks out 6-8ft from the bumper and 4ft wide.

Once you get it right you will never have a problem hooking up to a trailer you can see.Even off angle.

Way too complicated for me Skipp. Simply back up until you hear a thud.Get out and lock into place.

Blame the dents and scratches on your bumper, on others bad parking skills at Wallmartwhistling.gif

Same here. It took longer to read that thread than it has ever taken me to hook-up!

Thanks for thinking that you are waaaaay better than the rest of us though!!

I bet you post OOS photos, and hold Muskies the wrong way as well!!!

Um.....can you tell I'm a little tired (read: drunk)?

Where are Wayne, Roy, Terry, and Spiel, to tell me how to think.......Danger Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson..... :stretcher:

Boy, can you guys believe this weather? I went to a river to try steelheading and actually had a guy stand inside of my pants with me while I fished!! He was really nice, but every time I looked at him his face went all swirly and I could not tell where he was standing. I finished up just laying my rod and reel in the water, then taking a picture of it.

Jim

Actually Skip, some good ideas there.I am one of those who is still new to trailer back ups. My biggest problem is left and right turns backing up. I now hold onto the bottom of the steering wheel.Seems my brain doesnt work quickly enough in transfering the left to turn right, and right to turn left, manoeuvredunno.gif

Also, i kinda stress a bit trying to get my boat in the water, so others in line can get to the dock also.

I am not afraid to admit, that i ain't no trailer jockey.

Same here. It took longer to read that thread than it has ever taken me to hook-up!

Thanks for thinking that you are waaaaay better than the rest of us though!!

I bet you post OOS photos, and hold Muskies the wrong way as well!!!

Um.....can you tell I'm a little tired (read: drunk)?

Where are Wayne, Roy, Terry, and Spiel, to tell me how to think.......Danger Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson..... stretcher.gif

Boy, can you guys believe this weather? I went to a river to try steelheading and actually had a guy stand inside of my pants with me while I fished!! He was really nice, but every time I looked at him his face went all swirly and I could not tell where he was standing. I finished up just laying my rod and reel in the water, then taking a picture of it.

Jim

No shortage of feed back is good , then you get one like this ???????????? Still a winning post tho ...................

Skipper

Your advice makes good sense for us that have learned to use our mirrors. But I’ve been a passenger in a few tow vehicles where the only time the driver uses their mirror is to check whether they’ve parted their hair on the proper side that morning. As for depth perception in the mirror; dam I know people who don’t have it looking strait ahead through the windshield.

I had to tie a tennis ball to a lenght of string and then attach the string to the ceiling of the mother in-laws garage. Now when she pulls into the garage, she knows to stop when the tennis ball touches her windshield. Before that it was the wall that told her. LOL

Dan.

I am one of those who is still new to trailer back ups.

Also, i kinda stress a bit trying to get my boat in the water, so others in line can get to the dock

Fair enough. My suggestions:

- continue to keep your hand on the bottom of the wheel

- go slow whether it's speed backing up or turning the wheel. Quick lefts and rights move fast.

- if you need to occassionally pull slightly ahead from time to time to straighten out, go for it

- dont worry much about the other guys. They have all been there before. You'll be a pro in no time.

Skipper

Your advice makes good sense for us that have learned to use our mirrors. But I've been a passenger in a few tow vehicles where the only time the driver uses their mirror is to check whether they've parted their hair on the proper side that morning. As for depth perception in the mirror; dam I know people who don't have it looking strait ahead through the windshield.

I had to tie a tennis ball to a lenght of string and then attach the string to the ceiling of the mother in-laws garage. Now when she pulls into the garage, she knows to stop when the tennis ball touches her windshield. Before that it was the wall that told her. LOL

Dan.

Thats a hec of a good idea Dan ...lol . Another thing i do when it comes to depth perception when backing up to a trailer of mine , is when i disconnect i never quit take all of the coupler off the ball , you just leave the smallest amount over it , that still lets you pull out from under it , then what happens next time you are backing up slowly to it you'll hear it blop on to the ball then stop backing , you then just missed hitting your bumper , another good trick when backing up to the trailer is to keep one foot on the brake and the other one pushing easy on the gas pedel , then you can back up real easy and never lose controll by lifting you foot up and down on the brake peddle to controll your movement . But hEY if what i do and share helps some one thats great , if it don't and they have their own way then thats great too . Its not my habit to jam things down other peoples throats they don't want , but i do like sharing with those who do want to know .................. lol .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Actually Skip, some good ideas there.I am one of those who is still new to trailer back ups. My biggest problem is left and right turns backing up. I now hold onto the bottom of the steering wheel.Seems my brain doesnt work quickly enough in transfering the left to turn right, and right to turn left, manoeuvredunno.gif

Also, i kinda stress a bit trying to get my boat in the water, so others in line can get to the dock also.

I am not afraid to admit, that i ain't no trailer jockey.

It will come with time and practise. When I first bought my boat it took me 15min to back it into the launch with my fishing partner throwing his hands up in the air and offering to back it in for me (maybe he will chime in here) :thumbsup_anim:. The first time taking the boat out at the beginning of boat season I am a little rusty too.

On a side note, nothing is harder to back into the water then a sea doo with a pick up as you can't see the thing. I saw a girl struggling to do it at a launch so I offered to back it in for her but quickly realised why she was struggling. My eyes were struggling to stay off her as well :D

Bottom line is, no matter how many years we've been backing up trailers, or how good we are at it, we were ALL novices at one time and we ALL had to learn.

If your at a boat ramp and see someone struggling to back up his trailer and they seem confused by the process, maybe go over and offer them some advice or a helping hand.

I've done it more than a few times and they all seemed to appreciate the assist.

Bottom line is, no matter how many years we've been backing up trailers, or how good we are at it, we were ALL novices at one time and we ALL had to learn.

If your at a boat ramp and see someone struggling to back up his trailer and they seem confused by the process, maybe go over and offer them some advice or a helping hand.

I've done it more than a few times and they all seemed to appreciate the assist.

Yep. What Lew said :thumbsup_anim:

When I got my 'bigger' boat , I trailered it down to a 'quiet' launch in the middle of a weekday to practice. A couple of 'veterans' took the time to teach & coach me how to properly 'power load' my boat onto the trailer as well as launching. When time permits and fellow boaters are accepting of help, I gladly help them out. If time doesn't permit, I'll give them a friendly heads up and let them know that You Tube is a good resource for learning the basics.

I think most of us always volunteer to help out the 'solo launcher'. Especially when there's rods in the boat.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about the boaters that launch, tie up the dock and then go back to the car to retrieve the dog and the cooler and the wife from the washroom.