Lost a True Friend

tightline

Well St.Paddys day will never be the same around here, to me it will be the day I lost a great friend due to sombody's negligence. While doing some celebrating I had the Humane Society show up in my yard on Saturday asking if I had a cat named Smoke, said the neighbors had called and she was looking like she was hurt. I immediately went to her and no doubt she was. The problem was she was hurt by poison. The vets best guess antifreeze or rat poison. Seems somebody trying to keep away skunks or other rodents may have inadvertently poisoned my cat. He said there was no hope for her that it had some affect on her brain and she was suffering terribly so I made the adult decision to put her down. I spent the remainder of the night in tears blaming myself for letting her play outdoors.

Yesterday I picked her body up from the vets and buried her with a few of her favorite things...toy mouse, check, toy ball, check, and a bag of temptations to send her through the pearly gates. She was my first ever cat and although I have always been a dog person I wouldn't have traded her for anything, I Loved Her dearly.

So to all you folks who set out poison for pests try to remember that you may not only be killing them. Here's a pic of when she first came into my life. I know this is a fishing forum but needed to rant a bit and know that allot of yous feel the same way about pets as I do.

smokey.jpg

Very sad you here about you loss.

Don't beat your self up. Cats are ment to be outdoors. It is in no way your fault.

Hopefully you can who has the poison out, and see if you can get them remove it. There's no need to be poisoning animals..

Edited by N.A.W

Terribly sorry for your loss. Cats are wonderful pets and part of the family. I had my Felix for 18 years, and he played outside for 18 years. Thankfully, nothing like that happened to him. Just remember the good times and try to find that damn poison so somebody else's family member does not die needlessly!!!!!!

Very sorry for your loss. I am a cat person and without a doubt would be devastated if that happened to one of mine.

Remember the joys she gave you, and do your best to find the idiot that poisoned her. Inadvertently or not they need to know and should be stopped before another family looses a member.

Edited by d_paluch

Sorry for your loss,we have cats as well,but they don't go outside. Thinking of all the mouse and rat feed that makes them eat and want water which in the end kills them. Most sources of water are outside the house and if they were to find one suffering and/or eat it,what are the options?. Very sick or die. Luckily in my area there are a couple veteran cats I'll say keeping the mice population down and have also dogged a bullet for now. It's sad that cats have to watch what seems normal in there lives.

That's truly unfortunate and tragic, I'm very sorry to hear this.

I used to put out those hidden maze traps with poison for mice until my brain fart lapsed and remembered we had a neighbourhood cat who loved coming to our yard. There was no way for her to access the poison but if she found any mice or rat that had eaten some...Well the poison bait stations are in storage now and we're a poison free home. Spring traps in garage nooks and that's about it.

Hopefully your neighbour will hear this and realize that it was probably their poison and find alternative ways to deal with pests in the future.

Edited by woodenboater

Such a sad event. I am sorry you had the experience. Such a terrible thing to cause such suffering, and the loss you endure.

A few years back, we had a fellow in Beamsville who left dishes of antifreeze out at night, and a number of cats and dogs were cruelly killed. I sincerely hope that is not the case this time.

Thank you all for your kind words, day three and I'm still waiting for her to pop up around the corner of the yard, or thinking I hear her little collar charm ding off her food dish...This is tough, I feel cheated out of years of happiness and theres nothing I can do about it.