How to start Musky fishing?

Sketty55

Ok, so i realize this is a broad topic, so maybe we can just start with resources on the web that I should review before proceeding any further. I'm a long time bassman and I realize that musky is quite different and I'll need knowledge on gear, species handling, techniques, etc before I can actually get out there. I'm not lazy so i'm hoping some of the more experienced anglers on here can point me in the right direction. Any articles or previous info I should take a look at? As far as gear, I'm not looking for top of the line, but I want to make sure i have the proper equipment so that I can release a healthy fish back in the water (that is if ever catch one!).

Check out Muskies Canada. If you become a member, you will have access to their web forums where you can read/ask about anything muskie related. If you're not sure you want to commit the membership fee, go to a local chapter meeting and sit in on the action. I'm sure once you get to see the passion these guys have for muskie fishing, you'll have no trouble reaching into your pocket.

Your best bet to learn about getting started is to hook up with a seasoned muskie angler. That's how I got hooked!

Check out a Muskies Canada Meeting, there is a chapter in Mississauga, joining MCI will shorten the learning curve drastically, check out there website at www.muskiescanada.ca as each chapter has regular meetings usually monthly, the website should give you names and numbers and location and times of meetings. This board has a lot of seasoned muskie anglers as well, and im sure will chime in once they see your post.

Get the following.

Big Net (bigger the better, or a cradle if you can't afford a big net)

Good set of Hook cutters

Pliers with a long handle for removing hooks

Get a big stout rod - A cheap but decent one is a Daiwa Heartland Musky rod

Grab an Abu Garcia C3 6500 or 6501 bait casting reel

Spool of 75-100 pound power pro

2 or 3 16-24 inch long 120-150 pound florocarbon Leaders with strong snap swivels

Now for baits

Start out with start off with a 12" jointed Hard body that you can drag around behind your boat

and

a Big spinner bait designed for musky, you can troll this or cast it.

These two baits will get you into musky without needing to get every single thing on the market

This stuff will get you into musky at a fairly decent price. You will want to upgrade stuff as the years go by.

Edited by jedimaster

As far as gear goes I'd suggest buying a quality Rod but used. I love the St. Croix line but in your research you'll come across alot of other good ones. You'll end up paying less than you would for a mediocre new rod and if you find you don't get into musky fishing in a big way you can resell it for very close to what you paid for it. 7'6 MH is a versatile rod. Likewise, don't go crazy regarding lures, although its fun and gets addictive quick. Start with 3 or 4 lures. Their was a recent thread where folks choose their favourites.

The smart :asshat: in me wants to say: "Start fishing for walleye". Cause those gumbas always catch 'skis.

Many with more, and better, experience than me I'm sure will provide lots of advice but the one bit I would say is: try to spend time on the water with someone who knows their stuff. Watch, listen and learn. No one starts off being an expert.

As just about everyone has said, learn from an experienced angler. they will show you the proper techniques for specific baits. How to "work it" properly. They will also explain and show you the proper release procedures once you have hooked and landed your first fish.

The other good piece of advice others have mentioned is to get out to one of the Muskies Canada meetings www.muskiescanada.ca. There is a chapter in Mississauga. They are open to the public and there is no pressure or obligation to join. Once you have met some of the guys you may feel it is something you wish to become involved with.

Oh Ya!!!! Get a bigger wallet :whistling:

Tom McCutcheon

Chairman

Kawartha Lakes Chapter

Muskies Canada Inc.

Lots of good advise given. Proper release gear is key. A large Muskie-friendly net is a must, the idea is to leave the fish in the water, so the net acts as a big holding pen. Mini-bolt cutters, many badly hooked Muskie would not survive the C&R process if it weren't for cutting hooks...Long Nose pliers. For all their size and fierceness, Muskie are surprisingly fragile creatures...Great group of guys at the Mississauga Muskies Canada Chapter...

Great advice so far but the required equipment could easily run into the thousands in rods, reels, net ,giant needle-nose, bolt-cutters etc. I'm sure once you try it you'll be hooked but considering the investment it may make sense to drop a couple hundred on a guided trip to one of the Kwarthas (numbers lakes) before making the large financial committment. This way you can get a chance to see how useful and necessary all the specialty equipment is and also get to see area specific techniques and lure choices.

You have a lot of great info here to start with. I can suggest that you don't need top of the line everything to start. I would suggest going to CTC and getting the three pack long nose pliers they go on sale all the time and have rubber coated handles.

For bolt cutters CTC puts them on sale for $4 they do the trick for getting started you don't have to buy $50 kinpex to start.

Look around as nets are sold all the time or take a heavy non coated salmon net buy some rubber coating and dip it then pull it out be sure to open the net up so it hardens in the open position.

For rods look at etackle.ca they have good starting musky rods for good prices.

Edited by Mike P.

Ok, so i realize this is a broad topic, so maybe we can just start with resources on the web that I should review before proceeding any further. I'm a long time bassman and I realize that musky is quite different and I'll need knowledge on gear, species handling, techniques, etc before I can actually get out there. I'm not lazy so i'm hoping some of the more experienced anglers on here can point me in the right direction. Any articles or previous info I should take a look at? As far as gear, I'm not looking for top of the line, but I want to make sure i have the proper equipment so that I can release a healthy fish back in the water (that is if ever catch one!).

Although, most of the suggestions are good. I think many of these board members forgot what they had for gear when they first started fishing for Muskie.

You say you are an avid Bass guy, so I would assume you would have a heavy flippen stick, say about 7ft or so long. If you are fortunate enough to have a good quality baitcaster, you need to only pick up up some heavy braid. I would suggest 65lb minimum but truth be known, 80 lb is better. 80 lb will not break on a back lash. Try in-line spinners for starters. You can get them in various weights so pick a couple up that your already existing rod and reel can handle. Favorite colors for the Kawarthas??? Walleye pattern- that would be light brown/yellow/white or light brown/yellow/orange. Rapala has a new lure, the gliding rap (about 3 yrs on the market). Pick up the Bluegill pattern, easy lure to figure out how to work.

Sure a net would be nice, but you know, I didn't buy a net until after fishing for muskie for 3 yrs. I did however, buy a pair of long needle nose pliers, crappy tire mini bolt cutters and a jaw spreader. If you do any salmon or rainbow fishing from piers, chances are good you have a landing net big enough for the majority of the Kawartha Lakes muskie.

Don't set your goals high for big fish when you first start out. Expect to catch fish in the max range of 40 inches, that seems to be standard for anyone who seems to just starts out fishing for muskie.

So, the long of it...

Buy: (prices are an estimate only)

80 lb power pro. 30.00

130lb flourocarbon leaders 12.00

long nose needle nose pliers 10.00

cheap bolt cutters 15.00

in-line walleye pattern bucktail spinner 18.00

Suick weighted 8" fire tiger pattern

Rapala gliding Rap (large size in bluegill or hot Olive) 18.00

There is about 150.00 spent just to see if you are going to enjoy it or not. It will be the best 150.00 spent if you find muskie fishing isn't what you thought it would be.

Once you get a taste of muskie fishing and you say to yourself "This is what I'm talking!!! Booh ya!", then you can seriously consider stepping up to the plate and upgrade your gear to "muskie grade".

There is my 2 cents worth of advice.

Cheers, Ron...

They say, on average a legal Musky is landed after about 200 hours of angling for them. I've caught two, twenty minutes apart (they generally travel in pairs), that were both obviously undersize and out of season and released, I was trolling for walleye.

Anyway, after twenty or more years, that's the only muskies Iv'e caught. If you know that pike and musky are in the lake your fishing and you know where the pike are, look on the opposite side of the lake for musky. Musky spend the day cruising there territory while pike have small areas they consider their-own.

Pike spawning happens earlier than musky, so the fingerlings will be of large enough size that when musking spawn, pike fingerlings tend to eat the eggs. Therefore both species stay away from each other to the extreme. Pike of course are in the lillypads/weed and musky live in the slots or holes usually. People I know, itcluding a guy who caught a 47 lb musky in Moon River that I'd seen, used a huge dark suick (it sorta immitates a wounded fish and has to be strak fished). It destroyed his hard-rod/Penn LW 209 reel.