Musky baits

Lunatic

I would like to try for musky this year,ive never caught one before,nor have i tried for them,but ive fished lakes that hold them and ive always wanted to catch one but i wouldnt know where to start. so im thinking if you could only take 2 lures with you to fish for musky what would they be?

any other advice or tips would be good too.

I am going to agree with you on that one Nipfisher. As for the OP question I am not at all experienced enough to answer this only went out for Musky on one trip did good but I got no clue on top lures. Good luck I will say one thing google search it. I did and learbt what to do when I was out there and lots more which paid off. Also make sure you have the right gear. For your own safety.

Thats exactly what I was gonna say...And there's nothing wrong with that. Muskie are big scary fish that are not easy to handle, and are easily killed for all their fierceness...Consider coming to a meeting of the Hamilton Chapter of Muskies Canada, we meet on the 2nd Wednesday of each month in Upper Hamilton.

If you'd like to get a feel for Muskie fishing I'd be happy to take you out this season.

2 lures? Bucktail(in-line spinner) and 10" Jake (crankbait)

^^^

What Pigeon said, and for lures, anything that's big and black!

If you can make it up to the Spring Boat Show, Muskie Sunday will give you the best head start you could ever hope for, seriously.

As an aside, is there an area you've decided to target them?

looks like im going to have to research some more on musky. i have a med/hvy rod that has handled big pike with ease? i have a rubber net.but ill need to learn more about handling them before i go further. im a catch and release guy anyway,so i dont want any accidental kills due to ignorance. ive only had too accidental kills in my life (both pike) and they were about 15 years apart. dont want to add to it lol

As far as lures go I would think about the style of fishing you are planning. If you want only two lures for everything I would recommend a large spinner bait and a an inline spinner.

As far a equipment goes your biggest problem would be a net. For musky you either want and extra large basket net or a craddle so that you can keep the fish submerged in water while unhooking it. Other things to consider are extra large pliers and hook cutters. I would take pigeontroller up on his offer as having an experienced angler in the boat is priceless. I know I was so excited and almost shocked after I caught my first ski that I was a bumbling idiot. A big thanks goes out to Fisherpete for helping me. He did everything except pose for a pic and ensured the fish was successfully releases.

a bucktail and a suick have caught fish for over a roy's age and (surprise, surprise) both in some form are attached to two of my rods just about all the time.

if those would be the only two lures available to me, i'd catch fish and do better than skipper in spelling class.

Edited by Raf

I always have at least 3 rods rigged in the boat.

First one has a very large black spinnerbait with orange blades on one rod.

Next rod always has a weighted strawberry Sledge

Third rod always has a bumblebee colored Double "D"

If one of those baits doesn't catch me a musky in the 1st couple hours it means there's no fish in the lake so I go home & have lunch. :lol:

Edited by lew

a bucktail and a suick have caught fish for over a roy's age and (surprise, surprise) both in some form are attached to two of my rods just about all the time.

if those would be the only two lures available to me, i'd catch fish and do better than skipper in spelling class.

:lol::lol::lol:

I like a big white spinnerbait with a big ol twister tail dancing around behind it and I will also suggest a super shadrap in perch flavour. Not the biggest bait but a good place to start. Trolls well, not too heavy to cast and scars up really well when muskies chomp down on it!

Hook and a Gipsland Earthworm. If I can't get those Australian worms at the local tackle shop, I resort to Sledges and Handlebarz tandem inlines.

Cheers, Ron...

I find that you could only catch tigers with gipsland worms. For pure stain muskies I prefer rigging live american eels.

Don't forget a leader, 12-24 inches. wire or heavy fluorocarbon leader material. the best swivel you can buy.

Would piss you off if you finally get on a fish of a lifetime and lose it due to poor terminal tackle.

I find muskies to not be too fussy. most are caught fishing for other species. they'll take anything including a minnow or

worm. hook size is important. basically the bigger the better. think about going barbless. I haven't had the balls but lots

of guys are going barbless.

9 inch weighted Suick, perch pattern

black and silver inline spinner (bucktail) with big white Kalins Grub

Don't let the Suicks' looks fool you. I avoided buying one for years; thought they just looked so basic/plain that they couldn't be effective. I was very wrong; I plan on throwing one alot this year.

Edited by Weeds

Exactly how and when do you use them?

Suicks are an excellent bait Capt and you can use them pretty anywhere muskies hang out, but their deadly over top of the weeds.

Work them real fast with short jerks when the water's warm and when it's cold make them loooong slow pulls with pauses in between.

Those big ole slimers can't resist them.

I'd change up the bucktail for a double cowgirl and spellel litil gooder then skipper.

Thanks Lew. Mine is out of the box. I think you weight yours. How and why?

I like to make them less buoyant so when you pause the retrieve the bait will hang where it is rather than popping to the surface.

The fish will often hit the Suick as soon as you make the next jerk.

Adding additional weights is very simple

Cut a groove with a chisel

Cnv1649-2.jpg

Drop in the weights

Cnv1650-1.jpg

Cover with 5 minute epoxy and repaint

No need to be fussy with the paint cause the muskies don't care what it looks like.

Cnv1651-1.jpg

Cnv1654-1.jpg

Those are small stick-on wheel weights that you can get from any shop that balances wheels.

Thanks Guys. So cast out onto a weed flat or along a weed edge. Rip it hard and let it pause? Twitch it as well? Is it supposed to mimic and injured fish?

Yup, just mix it up.

As I mentioned above, work it fast and erratic when the waters warm and slow it down when things cool off in the fall.

It's got an adjustible metal fin on the back that you'll just have to experiment with to get the right flutter and depth you want.

Being a wooden bait each one is a bit different and when they take on water that'll change the action again. Best baits are after they lose some paint and take on even more water and weight.

Their fun baits to work and they produce ALOT of nice fish. Just take the time to experiment and learn their individual idiosincrities.