Do you remember the Red Fisher Show?

16 Footer

Still, my favorite fishing show!

I met Red at the London Fishing Show in the late 70's. He was tucked away in a motor home, signing autographs. He a copy of his book of poemsfor me and my buddys..

We did notice that there was a distinct "aroma" inside the camper... if you know what I mean!

While we were there Red suggested that we check out a certain retailer who was selling tackle at a very fair price. He showed us a floating lure that he bought from the guy, it was called a Spinididdy... basically a larger version of the Tiny Torpedo, dressed in frog colours. My buddies and I raced over to buy as many as we could afford. Heck, if Red told us to buy it, there was no chance that we were going to let that tackle tip get by us...

I still have the lure and yes, I have caught quite a few fish on it!

We spoke to him for what seemed like hours... gotta love that guy!

I would really like it if they could find a way to capture the sound tracks of Red's fishing adventures. If you recall, there was no sound taken during his fishing with guests, just their commentary while watching the show with Red in the studio. Man, I can only immagine the colourful language and jokes that had to be flying, during their filming. Might not make it to long on regular TV.LOL

If there was a fishing show like that on TV today, I'd watch that!

HH

Red was in Kingston in 2002 to speak to a conservation group and was travelling home on the train when I worked at the VIA station, I sped home and got my camera and had a collegue take a picture outside for my fishing wall.

I am proud to say that he autographed his book for me that day also.

0224_RedFisher_David8x10.jpg

Cheers - we miss the old guy with his quirky habits, but it was a fishing show we mever missed.

David aka Superdad

Loved watching his show, one of the reasons I got into fishing, My Dad and Red Fisher. In college we did a spoof on his show that ran every week on CCTV in the college. Lots of fun sitting around "Scuttlebutt Lodge" but the field trips to blow things up with a shot gun went over the best.

I'd love to hear the sound track as well Joe! LOL!

One of my roommates was nicknamed Red for obvious reasons so when we were our fishing and he caught a fish we would say that we were on the Red Fisher show! At the end of the day my other buddy would say, "okay guys, let's head back to Scuttleslut lodge for a few"! We would say, "a few what?"

I always watched Red Fisher as a kid as well. I thought that it was great his guests who were athletes and other people that I admired loved to fish just like me! Fishing shows nowadays don't have such guests. Maybe the lodge owner who is giving them free accommodations but that is about it...

Yeah, I remember. My brother bought a crew-cab Volkswagen pick-up that had been used on the show to film an episode that was a moose hunt. Can't remember the name of the celebrity he had on that time but I believe he was a baseball player.

• 6 months later...

I remember watching the Red Fisher show as a kid and think this was the first fishing show on TV in Canada. If I remember right it was a half hour show with video of Red fishing in an open boat then a shore lunch and then his show finished with a "lodge" chat. I dont think Red threw all of his catch back like they do in today's shows. Does anybody know what happened to Red?

A float plane landed on the bay our cottage is located along last week. It circled overhead a few times then touched the water. It reminded me of the opening credits fof the Red Fisher Show. It docked a few lots down. Brought back memories of the show, and really gave our place a remote feeling.

A float plane landed on the bay our cottage is located along last week. It circled overhead a few times then touched the water. It reminded me of the opening credits fof the Red Fisher Show. It docked a few lots down. Brought back memories of the show, and really gave our place a remote feeling.

Welcome to the Group Mr Kovacsclapping.gifGonefishing.gif

Oh man... I loved that show. I started working Saturdays in '80 or '81, but until then I watched faithfully. As a city kid it blew me away to see WHERE these guys fished. I didn't know places like that existed at the time. When I did my first fly-in a few years ago it brought all the memories flooding back as I watched the plane come in for the first time to pick us up. I still get goose bumps standing on a dock way-the-hell up North watching the plane come in....