NF: Looking for a good hiking boot

steelie hunter

Hello all, looking to purchase a good hiking boot, mid cut, just seeing if anyone has any suggestions. Preferably waterproof as well. Something to wear outdoors fishing and hiking/canoe trips upnorth etc.

Looking around, dont see much on sale, and I have a couple months to sit on it, but figured some on here might have some good leads for me. Thanks.

Love my merrells. I have a model with gore-tex, but they also have some models with their own proprietary waterproofing which are cheaper. The pair I have has a nice sticky vibram sole which is good if you're going to be on the escarpment where there's lOts of wet rock.

I know I know Mr Advertising Mike is back haha. I bought this pair of Merrell's 2 weeks ago at the store and am soo happy with them. I walk lot's and needed a warm boot for walking. These things grip like none other and are maybe the most comfortable boot I've worn.

Check them out

http://www.store.gagnonsports.com/index.php?product=MER-J15035

Cheers

MTBF

And 20% off this month too on anything over 100...pretty good deal :whistling:

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I have a pair of Keens that I have put through the ringer. They cost me 190 bones about 4 years ago. Great boot. I had a pair of Merrels before and I really liked them also.

I just bought a pair of Keen mid cut hikers last month, absolutely love them.

Waterproof and super light.

The new style hiking boots are like running around on the rocks in what feels like a pair of asics and you look down and you have the ankle protection of wearing hiking boots. Combat boots are great for ankle protection and are rugged but they aren't as nimble as hiking boots. I could literally hit the treadmill with my Keens or my old set of Merrells.

I was going to post earlier to tell you to get a pair of re-issue combat boots for $60. But thought I might get flammed by the hard core hikers. But now that some others have mentioned it :whistling: :whistling:

I use a pair of combat boots for SAR, and put them thru absolute hell :devil:. They are also my primary hunting boot. And for the whopping $57 I paid for them, I don't really care if I wreck them. The Vibram sole is great.

Bought a comfy pair of insoles, and some wax polish. They are the most waterproof boot I've warn (rubber boots excluded).

I suppose if you where doing a 100km trek, something lighter would be nice.. But I usually stick to the weekend events.

I like merrell's but have found they don't take a beating as well as they use too.

I have some Keen winter boots and they seem solid after a couple years. Not exactly hiking boots but I did just get a pair of bogs at christmas and they are great for a high, warm, fully waterproof boot.

Merrell's are okay for boots that are made in China. But if these are something you'll wear a LOT, then I'd say spend the extra money and invest in a pair of Danners. Mine are over 10 years old and still look like new, despite having been worn hard every fall, winter and spring for the past decade. They're warm, they're crazy lightweight, and they're still completely watertight. Best $350 I ever spent.

I have a pair of Dannier hiking boots that are litterly indestructible as well.I have had them for 8 years and I beat the crap out of them.The only thing that wears out is the laces.They are gore tex which is important as well as a vibram sole that are still good even after 8 years of abuse.

I like the leather style boot over the "crosstrainer style" better for all round protection in the bush.

They are a bit pricey but worth every penny.One bit of advice that I have learned is no matter what you choose don't skimp out on a pair of boots because of price , just like a good set of rain gear spend the money and you won't be disappointed. Good luck

Salomon hands down. I've beaten mine to death and they haven't quit yet. Gore-tex waterproof upper, Vibram sole, lots of ankle support.. I won't be buying another brand anytime soon. Well worth the $$$.

I'm with Bill on the Solomons.

I've been wearing the same pair for probably 12 years now and their still in great shape and the Gore-tex lining is excellent for keeping my feet dry.

I payed $185 for them 12 years ago but it was more than worth it.

Lotsa guys seem to like the Merrells but I'd be suspect about their quality anymore as Craig mentioned.

I payed $115 for Merrel sandals 2 years ago and when I got them home I noticed they'd missed 1/2 the stitches when they were making them. I took them right back to the store for another pair and after only 2 weeks of wear most of the stitching was either fraying or just pulling straight out.

Had to make yet another trip into town to get my $$$$ back.

Last pair of anything I'll ever buy with the Merrell name on them.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have no brand allegiance but i will say that you get what you pay for. i have a pair of merrel's that i like, but i also have a cheaper pair of new balance and they work quite well also. i'd like to think that i put some harder than average miles on foot each year and i've been happy with the durability and waterproofing. the most important thing i learned in college was to take care of your feet! no joke! quality socks are just as important as the boots on your feet!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Dr.S is right on that. A good pair of polypropylene socks and a thin pair of wools ontop will keep your feet nice and dry! Cotton socks in even the most expensive boot will leave you with wet, sweaty feet at the end of the day after humping through the bush.

Socks are a big part of the footwear equation. So much so that the military developed a "combat sock system". All jokes aside, when you have manpower living in their boots 24/7, it was necessary to come up with footcare practices to prevent blisters, skin ulcers, athletes foot, trenchfoot, etc.... They have a three layer sock issue. Works pretty good for most. I could not wear the inner liners as they would disintegrate in one day. Worst socks to ever wear are cotton gym socks.

Spend the money on good boots ""and"" socks. Don't cheap out.

About five years back I bought a pair of Hi-Tek's mid's (about $60). They were so good, I went back and bought a second pair for when the first pair wore out. Turns out, it was 3-4 years before I broke out the second pair. They were full polished leather, sealed tongue, and amazing. The only reason the first pair kicked the bucket is I made the mistake of helping a friend shingle on short notice, and the sole melted off the boot.

Long story short, I now own a pair of Merrell's (low cut) ($100+) with a Vibram sole and I am very disappointed with them. I untie my hikers when taking them off and the inside of the heel is still mangled after only 6 months! The treads are doing well, but the inside of the shoe is falling apart. I was very surprised by this, so my recommendation is to attempt to get a hiking book that has a full leather trim on the inside to prevent this from happening. I don't have anything against Merrell's and may very well buy another model in the future.

Just my two cents!

Salomon hands down. I've beaten mine to death and they haven't quit yet. Gore-tex waterproof upper, Vibram sole, lots of ankle support.. I won't be buying another brand anytime soon. Well worth the $$$.

Are they cheap, the GT and Vibram are offered through Merrel

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher