Oil Lantern

Entropy

I believe they were used on the railroads...probably worth $25-$30.

As Roy says... stop light on the rail line for ground worker to swing back and forth. Is it original or a repro.. the red glass looks a tad off for colour. Leah's father has about 30 of the things.

Here's a little more info I found.

Beacon #30 and #60:

The Dietz #30 and #60 Beacon Lanterns were each produced in three distinct versions. In all versions, the #30 model used a #2 burner, while the #60 used a #3 burner. In the #30 models an optional bulls eye could be ordered that was mounted on the globe plate. The #60 model was not sold with a bulls eye, but did feature a 5" mercury reflector mounted behind the globe. The oldest style was introduced in about 1898, and utilized the Charles Betts double wall chimney design which had a lift lever at the side of the top to raise the telescoping chimney section. In about 1908 the design was revised to standardize the chimney design with the Blizzard model, replacing the lift lever with a finger ring on the top. In about 1912 the tank for the #60 model was "modernized" with an elliptical tank, a change that would last until the end of production for the #60 in 1931. The #30 model was "modernized" around 1915 with a design change which involved utilizing the square tank common with the square tank wall lamps and later square tank version of the 8-Day lantern. The #30 beacon was produced up to about 1947. Before 1916 the standard finish was japan blue with a polished reflector on both beacon models, and after it was dark green with the reflector painted white,

My link

My link

Beacon%20GSW.jpg

Edited by Old Man

As Roy says... stop light on the rail line for ground worker to swing back and forth. Is it original or a repro.. the red glass looks a tad off for colour. Leah's father has about 30 of the things.

I says GSW Quality and Made in Canada on it.

The red globe is cut glass, which leads me to think it is original, not an knock-off.

I says GSW Quality and Made in Canada on it.

The red globe is cut glass, which leads me to think it is original, not an knock-off.

That is cool :clapping: remeber lots of stuff made by GSW as a kid, pails, wash tubs, garbage cans, high quality galvanized metals containers. At work we painted a lot of steel coils that eventually ended up as wrappers for GSW hot water tanks. Nice piece of Candian Heritage :canadian:

Here's a little more info I found.

Beacon #30 and #60:

The Dietz #30 and #60 Beacon Lanterns were each produced in three distinct versions. In all versions, the #30 model used a #2 burner, while the #60 used a #3 burner. In the #30 models an optional bulls eye could be ordered that was mounted on the globe plate. The #60 model was not sold with a bulls eye, but did feature a 5" mercury reflector mounted behind the globe. The oldest style was introduced in about 1898, and utilized the Charles Betts double wall chimney design which had a lift lever at the side of the top to raise the telescoping chimney section. In about 1908 the design was revised to standardize the chimney design with the Blizzard model, replacing the lift lever with a finger ring on the top. In about 1912 the tank for the #60 model was "modernized" with an elliptical tank, a change that would last until the end of production for the #60 in 1931. The #30 model was "modernized" around 1915 with a design change which involved utilizing the square tank common with the square tank wall lamps and later square tank version of the 8-Day lantern. The #30 beacon was produced up to about 1947. Before 1916 the standard finish was japan blue with a polished reflector on both beacon models, and after it was dark green with the reflector painted white,

My link

My link

Beacon%20GSW.jpg

Thanks, lots of good info there.

With it stamped GSW would that still make it a Dietz? or is it a Dietz like design or licence?

Entropy

Thanks, lots of good info there.

With it stamped GSW would that still make it a Dietz? or is it a Dietz like design or licence?

Entropy

My guess is that it would be a Dietz licensed production by GSW. But that's just a guess. The pictures of the Dietz Beacon does look similar.

Just found this

"red lanterns also gave the prostitution houses and streetwalker areas of the cities their nickname .... had to do with train crews leaving the lanterns by the front doors ..... "

There goes the idea of hanging it outside, eh. lol

Here's a pic of mine:

It also is a Dietz...very handy when the power goes off...

I fill it with pine-scented lamp oil...no idea of price...it was a gift...thumbsup_anim.gif

Edited to add:

Lights went out for an hour and a half after supper...used the lamp in the bathroom (no window) makes a good air freshener...rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by Beans

Just found this

"red lanterns also gave the prostitution houses and streetwalker areas of the cities their nickname .... had to do with train crews leaving the lanterns by the front doors ..... "

There goes the idea of hanging it outside, eh. lol

I still say hang it outside. You may catch your limit, LOL!!!!!!!!!