2012 Ice Fishing

MCTFisher9120

Good evening everybody, well with the busy holiday season flying by us we now are almost to February and I'm hoping the ice and ice fishing only get's better and better. I still haven't got out for lake trout or walleye yet but aim to next month. So far this season I have only fished just 2 lakes. One I won't return to and that's Scugog lol. What a joke, sure we caught a crap load of perch out there but they were tiny. All in good fun tho on the first trek out of the season.

Here is Gonefishin with the average maybe this one was a tad smaller lol.

ScreenHunter_01Jan251902.jpg

On our second trip out we decided to try our hand at some perch fishing on Simcoe. To be safe we went out in cooks bay fairly far up and found approx 10-12FOW

We were around weeds and fished from noon until sun down and had a phenomenal day out there with 3 lines down we hammered them. I had the school on the camera the entire day. We left because it got dark, the fishing was very good. With a average size of 6"-8" and seeking out jumbo's was key to making the day worth while...just too many smaller ones...u had to see the bigger ones to bring home fish of any size. All and all we kept all sizes and brought back a nice little feed of fish.

Fish were caught on a bunch of baits but one of my favorites is a off brand Jiggin rap thats very heavy compared to Rapala's

ScreenHunter_03Jan251903.jpg

Gonefishn with a double haha, first time ever seeing this

ScreenHunter_02Jan251902.jpg

Quick picture with some perch at the end of day perch break

ScreenHunter_04Jan251903.jpg

Hope they don't mind me posting lol, fun times ice fishing

ScreenHunter_05Jan251903.jpg

Anyway's a week later we again decided to try Simcoe but the mainlake now. Fishing the southern end we fished some 25+ FOW and caught steady perch all day. None were small, most were big that we brought up, lot's of 12's and 13's and some just monsters.

Kept more perch this time out, I was in at 20ish. Freezer is full and I'm a happy camper.

Decided to walk around and caught this nice pair

ScreenHunter_06Jan251903.jpg

Here is a pic of Gonefishns pile

ScreenHunter_08Jan251904.jpg

And my pile...I think his r bigger

ScreenHunter_07Jan251904.jpg

And of course the double perch pose

ScreenHunter_09Jan251904.jpg

Anyways guys thanks for reading and looking at the pic's. Let me tell you with a bunch of new gear this year ice fishing has been a lot more fun and easy.

btw that Propane power Jiffy 4-stroke I bought kicks butt. What a machine, cuts fast starts first pull and after 4 trips out and a lot of holes have been drilled and I'm still at 2/3rds of a tank. We are sold out of them down at Gagnon's but they were a good hit this year. I hope more people get them. It really makes u laugh at gas augers.

Anyway's guys thanks for looking. Hope to put up another report once February get's rollin.

Tightlines

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Nice work Mike!

You will get some bigger perch in Cooks thats for sure. Just have to sort through the little guys first.

I don't know what I like more...10 FOW and smaller but more action or 30FOW and bigger and less action haha. All in all I love perch fishing when there big, actually get some fight out of them for a minute

Thanks for the reply's guys!

Wow you take a couple of younguns out to your new perch honey hole..you GPS them right to the spot and one of them post it on OFC and never even mentions you in his write up. I guess gratitude isn't what it used to be :whistling:

You think it was good Sunday...I sure wish you could have been there with me the day before. Saturday was Unbelievable :P

We will have to hook up again Mike. I never did take your propane auger for a spin and I really did wanna give it a go, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Wow you take a couple of younguns out to your new perch honey hole..you GPS them right to the spot and one of them post it on OFC and never even mentions you in his write up. I guess gratitude isn't what it used to be :whistling:

You think it was good Sunday...I sure wish you could have been there with me the day before. Saturday was Unbelievable :P

We will have to hook up again Mike. I never did take your propane auger for a spin and I really did wanna give it a go, just to see what all the fuss is about.

I know you have pretty tight lips, Steve, but that's what you get for showing people your good spots! Your one of the only ones that gets straight up info from me! I hope you didn't take them to MY perch honeyhole!!!

S.

A quote from 'Tommy Boy' (the movie) "ouch, that's gonna leave a mark!"

I'm sure Mike was just to happy to have gotten out and away from work to post a thanks in the report. :unsure:

Hey Steve, hey sorry I didn't mention you bringing us out there last weekend. But know I know ur screen name on here...Rick knew u from OFC I just didn't know who u were haha. That's a nice area...I didn't think it was popular till all people talk about at work is the fishing out there :( Never a secret

Tightlines

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Ya I agree man, it was fun out there. Saving those people was a mission I had to do. I always talk to people now asking about that Auger. It's deffinately a game changer, too bad we only had in like 6 this year.

Anyway's sorry not to mention you Steve in the report. I like to go with screen names mostly but no excuse. When I have people take me out I don't mention the spot or who I was with just because u/they ask to keep it secret. :S

Anyway's I'll end it here, we will be out there again this weekend but not for Perch I think