Canoe trolling motor size?

scugpg

Hey all I had a ? For the canoe folks I was wondering what size trolling motor you use for it? I was thinking about 40-55lb motors and although probably overkill it might be more useful long term not to mention use less battery. The 45+ adds about another 5lbs over smaller ones. just wondering what your thoughts would be on this.

Thanks

Hey all I had a ? For the canoe folks I was wondering what size trolling motor you use for it? I was thinking about 40-55lb motors and although probably overkill it might be more useful long term not to mention use less battery. The 45+ adds about another 5lbs over smaller ones. just wondering what your thoughts would be on this.

Thanks

I'm curious myself. I have a 14ft square stern that I was going to buy a motor for in the spring.

When I had my 14 ft. fiberglass canoe back in the 80's I had a 14 lb. thrust Minn Kota. It moved us along really good. In fact, even at the slowest setting, it was too fast sometimes for the type of fishing I was doing.

I think you might be able to water ski with a 50 lb. :lol:

I plan on using the canoe when I tow my camper. Can't tow the boat at the same time. I plan on using the battery from the camper during the day and the camper can charge it at night, so weight of the battery is not much of an issue for me.

I have used a 30lb going upriver in current and it worked pretty good, so I'm thinking 40-45 would be plenty not sure if it would make any difference in speed past that. Just more power for current etc and have usefulness on a bigger boat if needed?

In my 12ft squareback, I usually run a 32# thrust, but have had a 55# in the back also. To be honest with you, the difference in speed between the 2 were minimal, except I think I'd say that the 55 was better at chopping through weeds.

If you're looking at running to a spot that is over 1km from the launch, just spend some time fishing your way out with the trolling motor on high. Use heavy jigs and hope for a reaction bite. This method's caught me a few fish last year and they're great bonuses when you've caught fish before you even get to the spot you were looking to fish!

Edited by EC1

Going back more years than I care to remember I had a 16' square back Sportspal with a 17lb thrust Sears Game Fisher, moved it along very well.

Also threw on a 15 horse Evinrude one day at my buddies cottage and tore the lake up, ZOOM ZOOM...... w00t.gif

That being said I'd think something in the 30 lb thrust range would be more than adequate.

Going back more years than I care to remember I had a 16' square back Sportspal with a 17lb thrust Sears Game Fisher, moved it along very well.

Also threw on a 15 horse Evinrude one day at my buddies cottage and tore the lake up, ZOOM ZOOM...... w00t.gif

That being said I'd think something in the 30 lb thrust range would be more than adequate.

I have a 14 foot Sportspal, pointed at both ends. For many years, I had a Minn Kota 15 (9 lbs of thrust). The motor worked perfectly and the lowest speed was a tad too fast for slow trolling. However, the max speed (10 km/h) was too slow for any long distance or against the wind. Now, I have a 32 lb thrust motor and it's just plain too fast for slow speed trolling.

If I ever buy another electric motor for my canoe, it will have variable speed so that I can slow things up as much as possible. On top of that, I may even add a foot switch on one of the battery cables so that I can control the speed even more and also be able to troll in spurts.

One thing for sure, a larger electric motor does not consume more than a small electric motor when you are just moving along slowly. A larger motor comes in handy in emergency situations.

I use a 1000 cra deep cycle battery and the 30lb thrust endura I believe is the model, tells you on the top of the motor approx hours of use on each of the speed settings.Having said that been out all day and never have come close to the battery getting low.

As a rule of thumb when fishing a river or lake I start out heading against the wind or current when possible and if a problem ever was to happen you could use the wind or current to your advantage getting back.Or heaven forbid we'd have to use the paddles lol.

36 pounder on mine.

Runs great, and last a long time. I bought the largest batery I could find.

Pushes a lot of weight! :canadian::thumbsup_anim::whistling:

Mycanoe.jpg

mycanoetwo.jpg

Where can I find a canoe like that?

I used to have a 12' cedar/canvass with a Minn Kota variable speed on it. Problem is I can't remember the model or the thrust rating on it. Whatever I get will definitely be a variable speed and I always have the paddles for backup. I have never been up a creek without a (spare) paddle.

A little 2-4hp gasser will be much easier. I can't imagine lugging a 70lb battery around (Actually yes I can, that's what I use on the back of my pontoon!)

I hear you - unfortunately a few ponds/lakes I frequent don't permit gas...else I'd go that route like a small 4 stroke or something. It'd actually be a lighter setup than a 30lb motor and 45-60lb battery vs the 40lbs of the gas and a spare litre or two.

Using a higher end motor with minn kota's maximizer or motorguide's digital motors should help save battery considerably at lower speeds, and thus not need a really big battery at least for smaller trips. Can't beat the gas there.

Not sure if any one knows big Tony at slash water canyon just north of Barrie , Tony is a neigbour of mine and a bit of an inventor , for his canoe he put together a straight shaft weedeater with a prop on the end of it , says heloves the thing .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I hear you - unfortunately a few ponds/lakes I frequent don't permit gas...else I'd go that route like a small 4 stroke or something. It'd actually be a lighter setup than a 30lb motor and 45-60lb battery vs the 40lbs of the gas and a spare litre or two.

Using a higher end motor with minn kota's maximizer or motorguide's digital motors should help save battery considerably at lower speeds, and thus not need a really big battery at least for smaller trips. Can't beat the gas there.

I see... I ran into a similar problem when I wanted to bring a motor into Algonquin park but couldn't use gas and didn't want to lug a battery around. I ended up picking up one of these guys, light weight and thrust depends on how hard you want to crank it!

Troll.jpg