Remote car starter

ketchenany

First thing you need to know is that most new vehicles have ignition disabling devices built in now. You need to know how to get around them in the installation of the unit.

If you are not proficient in automotive electrical get someone who is to install it.

I spent 20 years in the industry and it's not as simple as throwing it in and hooking it up.

Second is I would get a two way unit. ie it tells you via the remote that the vehicle has started. Also if you parking in very cold temps with no plug in available you will want one you can program to come on at a preprogrammed interval so your vehicle starts for you in the morning. The better ones can be programmed to say start up for 15 minutes every few hours.

some bugger up alarm systems

some you need your remote unlock/key/fob to be left in the vehicle to be able to start them

it voids some new vehicle warranties.. some insurance if you have to leave fob in car so it will remote start..

but I love them....the one I had on my new 2000 dakota worked great for 9.5 years before dieing

Ketch, I've seen them at Canadian Tire for around $50, but it's costs nearly or over $200 to install the system, unless you "know a guy" or can do it yourself.

We looked at them when they were on sale but I ran laughing when they quoted around $280 for everything. It's not worth it.... just pretend it's AC in the summer.

Yeah, you aren't going to find the cream of the crop installing at big box stores. :rolleyes:

I've had 3 Future shop installs done over the years. Press the button, and the vehicle starts. Not exactly rocket science.

Be sure you stick your ear out the door to hear it's actually starting. I remember well someone pointing his remote out the camp window at his diesel truck (-32c)... and it did exactly that die!

Two new batteries as soon as I got home.

Depending on how far you have to drive to work....you may use more gas warming it up then driving to work......and with gas pushing $5 per US gallon up there I would think twice...

I had one on my GMC Safari Van when I worked on the RR.....but I would get called in at all times of the night in the worst weather.... but now with the high gas prices, no way...

BTW after about 5 years it started to give the electrical circuits problems....you couldn't turn off the heater fan (even with the key removed)...the 4 ways would come on by themselves....weird stuff...

I don't know much about the aftermarket systems, but I used to have a factory remote-start on my '05 Chevy Malibu and it was great, I miss it immensely on those frosty mornings.

Didn't waste alot of that precious fuel either, it would shut itself off after 10 minutes if the key wasn't inserted within that time, just enough to de-frost the windows and get a little heat. I probably waste more now at times with the Civic by going out and starting it and going back in the house, getting caught up in something (usually OFC) and the car runs on for half an hour or more in the driveway.

Rather than waste gas you could install an electric car heater. Just plug the extension cord into the heater and when you get up, plug the extension cord into the wall or have it on a timer..... The anti idling people will leave you alone as well.....