12 volt trolling motor

rob v

I've been thinking about up-grading my trolling motor to something with a bit more power. Currently I have a minn kota maxum 55 running off a 12 volt source. Would upgrading to a 24 volt power source (two batteries in series) provide me with any more power - or would I risk damaging my motor ? I'm sure there's someone out there that's tried this ? is it possible ?

Two batteries on that motor would not give you more power, it would give you the same power for a longer period of time. Connected in parallel of course.

I'm using a 70lb 24v MK. That's two 12 volt batteries connected in series.

A lot of bass guys run batteries in series. You are still running 12volt, just a bigger power reserve and having double the running time.

Don't you mean wire 2 batteries in parallel which would give you 12 volts & double the amp/hour, that would increase run time but not thrust.

2 in series would give you same amp/hours but double the voltage to 24volts, but destroy a 12volt trolling motor.

Regardless it is better to upgrade to 24v trolling motor versus trying to modify an existing 12v if you want more thrust.

If you can swing it, a 24v x 80lbs MinKota Terrova with iPilot will really make fishing easier and more enjoyable. I love mine.

Cheers,

Ted

I ran a pair of 12 volt batteries in parallel on my last boat for years Rob and it definetely gives you a much longer running time, but you'll thank yourself if you upgrade to a 24 volt system and even go with a larger motor.

More $$$$ up-front but well worth the expense.

if i upgrade to a 24 volt system/motor is it possible to still wire in my 12 volt items into that system i.e. just wire them to the +/- terminals of one of the batteries in series? (I've got a couple of live-well aerators that hook into my trolling motor battery)

if i upgrade to a 24 volt system/motor is it possible to still wire in my 12 volt items into that system i.e. just wire them to the +/- terminals of one of the batteries in series? (I've got a couple of live-well aerators that hook into my trolling motor battery)

Yes you can do this.. Hook up the batteries in series + - + - for 24V for the new trolling motor.. But only hook up everything else to ONE battery + - for 12V

Or you could wire your accessories to the engine starting battery.

Yes, you can absolutely do that..as Gypsy said. I wouldn't be overloading my main battery though.

Do not hook up 12v too a 24v series battery.This is detrimental on the batteries.When hook up to a single 12v in 24v the single battery is only being use.

The other battery doesn't push amperage into the battery being used for 12v.So now you have two different amperage's in the batteries.Then you turm on the trolling motor,

Increasing the amperage draw from the 12v hooked up battery.More draw the hotter the battery gets causing damage.

In a multiple battery hook, Your batteries are only as strong as the weakest one.

You must use a 24 to 12v inverter.

Do not hook up 12v too a 24v series battery.This is detrimental on the batteries.When hook up to a single 12v in 24v the single battery is only being use.

The other battery doesn't push amperage into the battery being used for 12v.So now you have two different amperage's in the batteries.Then you turm on the trolling motor,

Increasing the amperage draw from the 12v hooked up battery.More draw the hotter the battery gets causing damage.

In a multiple battery hook, Your batteries are only as strong as the weakest one.

You must use a 24 to 12v inverter.

I must agree, what I stated earlier will work, but it's not ideal.. The one with 12V draw will be working harder than the other.

Bottom line is if you want more power, you need a more powerful motor. You can hook 10 batteries to your current TM and you will still have the same power....just more running time.

If your just looking for more running time, adding another battery will increase running time tremendously, and also keeps your single battery from getting as run down as it would.

I run two 27 series deep cycles on my 55lb MinnKota and I can troll non stop at 1.5-2mph in a good wind for about 5 hours. For positioning the boat, I can use it for days no problem.

S.

If they are in series, you will end up with 24v regardless of which battery you hook up to. You will be getting 24v.

Wouldn't you need to isolate one of the batteries with some sort of isolator to only get 12v from a 24v series set up?

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

If they are in series, you will end up with 24v regardless of which battery you hook up to. You will be getting 24v.

Wouldn't you need to isolate one of the batteries with some sort of isolator to only get 12v from a 24v series set up?

Entropy

You would think so, but no.. If you hook up stuff only to one battery, you wil get 12V, and the 24V trolling motor will be + on one, and - on the other, with the jumper wire between them ( - to + ) giving that circuit 24V

My co-worker has been running that set up for years.. He runs a 24V motor, but the rest of the boat runs on 12V.

I'm really thinking of a 24v for the new boat (It's got a 12v 65lb PowerDrive on it now) but I got a kicker to buy this year as well. I've got an extra space in the battery compartment for battery #2, so I might just run another one in parallel to get some extra run time...