Drinking & boating

wjw

Andy, thanks for the detailed response and to everyone else that contributed.

Something that I should have added in the first post is that we rent our boat, alternate days of driving, and share all the expenses. Under the belief that I was in compliance, the alcohol was not an issue and totally his personal choice/risk. Any suggestion to keep it back in the cabin was simply for the purpose of saving him the expense/trouble. Now that the drivers responsibility has been clarified, something has to change.

All I meant was...

When you have a deluge of weekend warriors ripping all over lakes every which way in every type of PWC and boat available, I agree that a stricter stance on drinking should be enforced.

However, when a few fishermen want to have a couple beer and enjoy a day on the water, they can now be fined. Silly IMO.

Heck, part of the reason for it now being law to have your boaters card was because of the boat traffic on these busy lakes.

ya, it's also silly that I can't drink while driving my truck down the highway. I just want to enjoy the drive

:blahblah1:

We fish Ontario every year,coming in from the states. Years ago I would take a few beers out on the water when I wasn't driving the boat. I stopped that practice when the authorities began cracking down. I have a fishing buddy that refuses to leave the alcohol back in the cabin. I keep telling him that it is only a matter of time until he is spotted or checked. He just flatly refuses to leave the booze behind.

I for years had thought that I was not violating any of the drinking laws because I was not drinking. Recently, someone told me that by driving the boat I also was in violation. This person added that with a conviction, I could be banned from coming back into the country. Hence, no more fishing trips or vacations there with my wife. Does anyone know what the law is?

To answer your question, if you're the operator of the vessel and haven't been drinking you're fine under the criminal code. However, under thr LLA you're looking at about 4 or 5 tickets totalling about $600.....

And to clarify, if you are driving in Ontario and you get a ticket here it will affect your drivers license if you're from another province and the majority of the Northern states and vice versa for us Ontarians....

And to clarify, if you are driving in Ontario and you get a ticket here it will affect your drivers license if you're from another province and the majority of the Northern states and vice versa for us Ontarians....

And, if I not wrong and you don't pay, try renewing you DL or registration.

I thought, if you are tied up at your own dock, you can sit on your boat and drink as its considered private property.

I would be interested if anyone can confirm that?

It would surprise me if that was an offence as well. I do it all the time fishing from the dock, sometimes I sit on the rear pedestal seat in my boat. How is that illegal?

A buddy of mine was floating about 15' off the end of his dock in a paddle boat. He had a fishing rod, and a pint.

OPP roll up, and charge him for having the drink on the boat. Told him he got off luck, because he didn't have his fishing licence on hand, and a PFD was not on board.

I'll be the first to admit I like having a beer with lunch while I'm out fishing with the oldman. However this only occurs when we are way up north and in the middle of no where (Not like that makes it anymore legal). I rarely if ever bring beer with me fishing (Unless I'm on a flyin or similar)... I don't wanna know how much beer I consumed on our trip up to Eddies a few years ago.. It might have been a world record, lol!!!

Its a vessel, no different than drinking in your car so there is still a chance to be charged with care and control or over 80

But what about just having a beer or two, not to the point of impairment?

So the police have the power to enter my property and give me a ticket for having a beer while I work on my vehicle on my own driveway or on my boat tied to my own dock? :wallbash:

When did Ontario become a police state?

But what about just having a beer or two, not to the point of impairment?

So the police have the power to enter my property and give me a ticket for having a beer while I work on my vehicle on my own driveway or on my boat tied to my own dock? :wallbash:

When did Ontario become a police state?

Why is it that some people don't bother to get educated about things and then just babble. Unless you're a complete :asshat: and and doing stooopid things, working on the car/truck doesn't gather attention. Similar to having the boat anchored/tied up and having the required amenities.

I'll be the first to admit I like having a beer with lunch while I'm out fishing with the oldman. However this only occurs when we are way up north and in the middle of no where (Not like that makes it anymore legal). I rarely if ever bring beer with me fishing (Unless I'm on a flyin or similar)... I don't wanna know how much beer I consumed on our trip up to Eddies a few years ago.. It might have been a world record, lol!!!

ive learned to appreciate the lunch/afternoon pint/quart as well...just 1

but its always at a licensed restaurant on the water... or back at the boathouse...

That's like saying its okay to sit in your car, in your driveway drinking in the drivers seat....

;) so sitting on the back tailgate of my truck and drinking a beer on my drive way is a no-no.

Guess you can thank the government for this one.

Driving a golf cart while drinking is fine.. but sitting on your boat tied up to your own property is a no-no.

Will someone please JUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! :sarcasm: