Misconceptions for the Nonfisherman

EC1

Hi all,

I'd like to give a little bit of background of myself.

I am a graphic design student and I was given an assignment where I had to make a small booklet that showed movement and told a story. Of course, I chose fishing since it was open topic ;).

While given the assignment, I asked MJL specifically for a few of his underwater shots, and Sebastian Wehr of Sword Customs in Germany to send me some pictures of fishing combo art. Both of their works are absolutely stunning! BIG THANK YOU!

In the end, I created a booklet that would explain to someone that doesn't fish that fishing really isn't a game of luck and waiting. I related fishing to Science, Geography, and Art.

I'll let the rest of the pictures tell the story,

Cheers!

6392648087_1e7223e78d_z.jpg

6489663839_aaf1c25401_z.jpg

6489664427_5ba4b278af_z.jpg

6392649469_29fab7f544_z.jpg

6392649121_592669d5eb_z.jpg

6392649805_c092e6a09c_z.jpg

6392650153_9e2ca40ba3_z.jpg

Edited by EC1

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Coreyhkh, you wouldn't believe some of the things I've been told about what they thought I did.

"so you just anchor there and you wait all day?!"

"8 hours and you dont get bored?"

"can you read a book while fishing?" :P

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Coreyhkh, you wouldn't believe some of the things I've been told about what they thought I did.

"so you just anchor there and you wait all day?!"

"8 hours and you dont get bored?"

"can you read a book while fishing?" :P

I heard Bernard Cribbins (British actor and well known UK fisherman) say this on a fishing video...

"There is more to fishing than catching big fish"

"It is entering a more beautiful, peaceful world, a place of water, of mist shrouded pools, of sun splashed lakes and rippled ponds."

And my eldest step-daughter couldn't understand what I meant when I said I felt closer to my God when I am fishing...

Nice work on that pamphlet !!!

Edited by Beans

I heard Bernard Cribbins (British actor and well known UK fisherman) say this on a fishing video...

"There is more to fishing than catching big fish"

"It is entering a more beautiful, peaceful world, a place of water, of mist shrouded pools, of sun splashed lakes and rippled ponds."

And my eldest step-daughter couldn't understand what I meant when I said I felt closer to my God when I am fishing...

Nice work on that pamphlet !!!

Thanks Beans. Me, being just a kid...just gets very excited the moment I am on the water (I also claim that I have a little bit of ADHD). LOL. I completely see how some people would take the calm, serene route... Maybe in my future.

Thanks JDS, and Harrison!

Very cool Edwin…Glad you liked the pics :)

I often get asked repeatedly by people why I fish…More often than not, I ask why they golf and there usually is a mutual understanding.

First and foremost, I fish to catch fish. Sure I enjoy the scenery and the sound of water, but I certainly could enjoy all that a couple mins away from home in the small ravine by my house and without a fishing rod in hand. To me fishing is another form of science that allows for the opportunity to study, observe and interact with things of another world. Similarly, fishing is an outlet for other sciences as well: Physics, chemistry, biology, political science, computer science, and more…I’ve used them all to become a better angler. I also enjoy the opportunity to enjoy the art in fishing. Through rod building, fly tying, photography.

I tell most people that I do 70% of my fishing at home before I leave the house, 10% of the fishing on the water and the other 20% of the time I’m catching fish. Being able to look at a flow chart, topographic map, weather report, regulation booklet, stocking records, soil composition report, piece it all together and know exactly where in that river fish will be holding, at this time of year, on this day, at this time of day, and predict it all, is something I’m always striving to do.

Very cool Edwin…Glad you liked the pics :)

I often get asked repeatedly by people why I fish…More often than not, I ask why they golf and there usually is a mutual understanding.

First and foremost, I fish to catch fish. Sure I enjoy the scenery and the sound of water, but I certainly could enjoy all that a couple mins away from home in the small ravine by my house and without a fishing rod in hand. To me fishing is another form of science that allows for the opportunity to study, observe and interact with things of another world. Similarly, fishing is an outlet for other sciences as well: Physics, chemistry, biology, political science, computer science, and more…I’ve used them all to become a better angler. I also enjoy the opportunity to enjoy the art in fishing. Through rod building, fly tying, photography.

I tell most people that I do 70% of my fishing at home before I leave the house, 10% of the fishing on the water and the other 20% of the time I’m catching fish. Being able to look at a flow chart, topographic map, weather report, regulation booklet, stocking records, soil composition report, piece it all together and know exactly where in that river fish will be holding, at this time of year, on this day, at this time of day, and predict it all, is something I’m always striving to do.

Great answer. It could have been longer and more detailed and showed that involved even more information that a fisherman needs to become more proficient but then it might not have been read thoroughly.

Hi all,

I'd like to give a little bit of background of myself.

I am a graphic design student and I was given an assignment where I had to make a small booklet that showed movement and told a story. Of course, I chose fishing since it was open topic ;).

(whole bunch of stuff snipped)

Great stuff. You could do the same thing for hunting.