December fishing

fishnsled

Gotta love it when a plan comes together. CCMT and I had hopes that the weather would cooperate for at least 1 day this past weekend, hopefully both. We got somewhat lucky with 1 and a half days and some December slime hit the boat.

Day 1 started off with the alarm going at 3:30am. Coffee, food and gear load and I was off to get Cliff and the boat and we were soon rolling down the highway. Everything went well until we launched the boat. The motor decide that it was to cold to get going but after some words of encouragement and a lot of sweat, we were trolling.

Our chariot for the day.

IMG-20111203-01116.jpg

A beautiful day to be out.

P1000127.jpg

P1000126.jpg

We had been trolling for a couple of hours before there was any sign of action. Unfortunately the first sign was a fish on my line and lost shortly afterwards. We were hopeful that this was not a sign of things to come. As it turned out it wasn't. I redeemed myself with this one to start the day.

P1000130.jpg

Next up was Cliff with this chunk.

P1000134.jpg

Shortly after the lines were set, Cliff's rod starts screaming line. Before he could even get to the rod, the fish was gone. While reeling in to check his bait, my rod fires and I boat this little fatty. SO CLOSE to a double header!

P1000136.jpg

Another fish was on and off again, that ended the little flurry of activity for a while. I told Cliff he was up next but my rod fired and as I grabbed it and started to reel in Cliff says "I thought I was up next Will?" My reply "I'm having a really hard time handing over this rod judging by the weight of the fish" Cliff laughs and I continue my battle with my biggest Quinte fish of the year, a 10.2 pound hen.

P1000138.jpg

P1000139.jpg

We trolled into the darkness without another bite. Beautiful sunset ended our day.

P1000147.jpg

P1000154.jpg

P1000153.jpg

Stopped for a bite to eat and I got home around 9pm after dropping Cliff off. Unpacked the walleye gear and packed up the muskie gear for the next days adventure. Got to bed about 11pm and had the alarm set for 4:30am, it was going to be nice to sleep in.

The alarm goes off and before you know we are heading down the highway again. We arrived at the launch just as the sky was starting to get a bit light. Load up and were on the water to see one of the best sunrises I've seen in a long time.

P1000165.jpg

Just incredible. Again the day started off very slowly and took a while before saw our first fish. Cliff sets the hook and the fish comes up and with a shake of the head it was gone. Starting off the same way as we did the day before. A couple of casts later I set the hook into a nice clump of weeds. As I'm pulling the 4 foot strand out of the water I had a 40ish" fish come right out of the water chasing my weed choke bait. Never seen a fish that aggressive before with all the weeds. We fished for about another hour and I raised one more but couldn't get her to commit.

We decide to run back to where the hot fish was to see if it would show up again. A couple of casts and bang! I got a small fish on.....walleye. Popped the the hook and back into the water. We get past where the fish was the first time when I hear fish on! A nice fight and into the cradle it went, we were not skunked. Pretty sure it wasn't the same fish we saw as the other looked chunkier but a nice fish.

P1000171.jpg

We gave it another hour or so but the wind and waves were tossing us around pretty good. We called it a day and called it a season for the Kawartha's. A great weekend to be on the water for December and one to remember for a while. Thanks Cliff for having me along and hopefully we'll get the boat out one more time before ice up. canadian.gif

Edited by fishnsled

Wow....really beautiful fish, guys! Fantastic report. Will, you're sharing Lew's sunrise? :)

I'm sure we were clicking pics at the same time. A great day to be up early and see that sky lit up like that.

I hate you guys!!!!!

HH

Some really nice clean lookin fish... seems that they are starting to come in now... late this year....

I still hate you!

I hate you too Joe! :blush::D You'll hate us more if we can squeeze in another trip.

No we don't but he is the guy with the boat...

That's an easy fix... I'll get my music blaster, set it up in his backyard and put on Rush, 2112 on ten... he won't be able to resist it's calling... in the mean time, you hook up the boat and we are outta there... side one will give us 20 minutes to find his keys and steal his extra tank! :whistling::thumbsup_anim:

HH

That's an easy fix... I'll get my music blaster, set it up in his backyard and put on Rush, 2112 on ten... he won't be able to resist it's calling... in the mean time, you hook up the boat and we are outta there... side one will give us 20 minutes to find his keys and steal his extra tank! :whistling::thumbsup_anim:

HH

Maybe just make sure the first tank is full....:whistling: Count me in!!

Do WE have to bring CLiff! :whistling:

HH

No we don't but he is the guy with the boat...

HH

Maybe just make sure the first tank is full....:whistling: Count me in!!

LOL guys...suuuurrreeee...now that I'm the guy with the boat still in the water you should be nicer to me!!

Will, had a great time out there as usual! I still say you got the walleye while muskie fishing because of the negative karma from not handing over the rod on Quinte!!! :rofl2:LOL

If the weather gods cooperate we'll be out somewhere again...Quinte or closer to home...we'll see!

LOL guys...suuuurrreeee...now that I'm the guy with the boat still in the water you should be nicer to me!!

Will, had a great time out there as usual! I still say you got the walleye while muskie fishing because of the negative karma from not handing over the rod on Quinte!!! :rofl2:LOL

If the weather gods cooperate we'll be out somewhere again...Quinte or closer to home...we'll see!

:DB)

FishnSled

I had to read the post twice, I figured out that you weren't at Quinte for the second day. I thought you were and wondered where you got the musky?

Great pictures, especially in Long Reach and good report- nice to get the big mamas.

David aka Superdad,[

FishnSled

I had to read the post twice, I figured out that you weren't at Quinte for the second day. I thought you were and wondered where you got the musky?

Great pictures, especially in Long Reach and good report- nice to get the big mamas.

David aka Superdad,[

You are right. He forgot to mention we were in the kawarthas on day two!