Ice Hut Build

Fishnwire

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but i can see a few things you will change once you get it on the ice. I'm just going to keep my mouth shut for now, though. I learned my lessons the hard way, and after offering some sound advice, that you don't want to take, I'll let you figure it out the same way :)

I'm enjoying the thread, and can't wait to see this beast on the ice!

S.

Sinker, I'm sorry if I came off like I didn't appreciate any of the suggestions or advise offered here, by you or anyone else...I did and do appreciate it. Don't confuse not taking the advise with not appreciating it...they are two different things. I'm not sure how you "learned [your] lessons the hard way" from me, because I don't remember being hard on you. At least I never intended to be. Once again, if I came off that way, I'm sorry.

While I can't guarantee I'll make any changes to accommodate the suggestions you offer, I can guarantee I'll appreciate them, and give them consideration. Even if I ignore them and suffer the consequences, at least others will benefit...as will I on the next build. ;)

Just so we're on the same page...I already understand your feelings about the shack's weight being excessive. You'll just have to trust me that I can get it where it needs to go. To anything other than "it's too heavy", I'm all ears.

Awesome project!! I started reading this post at the beginning, have really enjoyed all of the comments. This has me inspired to think of a new hut for next season. My fold down tarp/hut "thingy" may have to be retired.

I might be building a fold down tarp/hut "thingy" for next season if Sinker is right. If he is I'll change the title of the thread to, "Ice Hut Build...DON"T DO THIS!!!" Maybe you'll take the advice that I didn't.

Or on the other hand, things might go fine for me and you'll be inspired to build a hut like the 20'x14' (not a typo) that my foreman's nephew is building on the shore of his parent's house. A 280 square foot shack build by a teenage guy...I wonder if there will be any partying that takes place there.

If you weren't in Sudbury I would say yes it's too heavy to be on the ice....but with the cold you guys get, you will be fine....moving it in slush or deep snow may take some work though... Even if it dosen't work out as a hut, it would make an awesome bunkie for a cottager..

I meant I learned my lessons about heavy huts the hard way. No hard feeling dude. I think its a great hut, and your going to have some great times in it, with many memories made. After 20 years of having permanent shacks, I've seen pretty much all the gongs that can happen, but they always work out with a bit of hard work and persistence. I've modified my hut over the years from experience, not sitting in my driveway pretending to fish in it. Simple is better.....but this is all just my opinion, and you have every right to yours as well, and I can appreciate that.

I've always lived by the motto, "work smart, not hard." Over killing an ice shack for comfort, is not smart IMO, and you will be working hard to move it around and maintaining it. Just wait till you get 2-3ft of snow, with slush under it around that beast. Your jeep is going to be useless, and a 3/4 ton with a plow is going to be under gunned in that kind of snow/slush. Ask me how I know..... lol.

You would be just as cozy in a light hut is all I'm saying, I guess.

Like I said, I'm enjoying the thread, and can't wait to see this bad boy on the ice with some fish slime on the floor!!

Get 'er done!

S.

Nice work fishNwire and thanks for posting your progress. I built a hut back in 93 and went through many of the same planing/design issues you have had. I laid in bed many hours thinking on how I was going to make it. It almost became an obsession. You have built a good solid hut, you might what to use it as a bunkie in the off season. Keep the updates/photos coming. Looking forward to seeing the first fish through the hole.

You would be just as cozy in a light hut is all I'm saying, I guess.

I'm going to have to disagree with you a little bit there. But I guess it would depend on one's definition of "cozy". I already have access to a shack in the very location I plan on putting this one that is not quite as nice as the one in the pics you posted, but not far off. Like the people in that pic, I spend most of my time in that one with my coat on, and wouldn't dream of being able to take my boots off and put a pair of slippers on. I'm "cozy" compared to what I am when I'm sitting on my pail in front of the shack, but it's not like I get the feeling of having shut out the elements, or that I'm in an "interior" space. I could spend the night there...but my Dad, Father-in-law, wife, or anyone else who wasn't drunk probably wouldn't.

Maybe the actual difference of opinion is how "cozy" one needs to be. Perhaps what you mean to say is that I would be "cozy enough" in a light shack. Maybe your point is that wanting to wear slippers and trick myself into thinking I am in my living-room is entirely unnecessary when ice fishing...and you'd be entirely right. But that's what I want. I've wanted it for a long time and decided I'd give it a try. I know how much friggin' around smaller shacks require, and I'm willing to frig around ten times as much for (what I see as) one hundred times the "coziness". When I'm moving it, I'll probably wish I'd settled for something that is cozy enough, but when I'm sitting it it, I'll be overjoyed that I didn't.

The thing is that like I said, this is the shack I've always wanted. Unless I try I'll continue to want it. If it's a huge failure and major PITA then I'll at least know (when I'm building the next one) that what I want is not only unnecessary but unrealistic. Perhaps "Ice-9 version 2.0" will require spikes to hold it in place on days with barely any wind. Or maybe it will have indoor parking for up to four snowmobiles and an observation deck off the third floor. All I know is that before I try either of those design options I'm going to try this one.

I'm sincerely thankful for all the feedback from everyone, even the stuff I seemed unreceptive to. It's given me a lot to think about (seemingly non-stop) and believe me, has weighed heavily on my mind at times. I know a few people are eager to see how things turn out...not least of all myself. I'll be man enough to admit if I should have heeded more adice. Everyone who offered warnings will either get a "You were right", or "What weekend is good for you?"...so there will be no mystery on OFC as to the outcome.

I laid in bed many hours thinking on how I was going to make it. It almost became an obsession.

Gee. I can't relate to that at all. Obsessed over an ice shack? Your wife must have thought you were a weirdo. Probably your colleagues got sick of hearing about it too. I'm glad this is just a casual interest for me that isn't something I think about when I should be concentrating on other things. I guess I'm in no way single-minded when I encounter something that interests me.

Wow. Perhaps the biggest lie ever told here...and this place is full of fishermen!

Gee. I can't relate to that at all. Obsessed over an ice shack? Your wife must have thought you were a weirdo. Probably your colleagues got sick of hearing about it too. I'm glad this is just a casual interest for me that isn't something I think about when I should be concentrating on other things. I guess I'm in no way single-minded when I encounter something that interests me.

Wow. Perhaps the biggest lie ever told here...and this place is full of fishermen!

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are. If you didn't laugh at that one, you ain't got no sense of humour! ha ha ha

I know a bunch of guys that built a hut similar to yours, they set it up a mere 3 meters from the launch ramp. Had outdoor plumbing and used it for their poker nights! Perfectly legal, no taxes and the Police could not harass them for drinking in a public space because they had a stove for cooking, a place to sleep and a bathroom. There is nothing that says you have to have holes in your floor for it to be an ice hut!

Looking forward to a report on your first catch.

Cheers, Ron...

With something as epic as this you need to smash a bottle of some kind when it's launched....but will it be beer, wine or.....??

Anyone who smashes a bottle of anything against my shack is banned for life. I'm sure a bottle or two will be emptied, but it will be from the top a little at a time and not out the bottom all at once. ;)

I like Wiser's and Pepsi in the evening and just about anything (no darks or reds) from a can while the sun is up. Just a little information anyone planning on stopping by might want to keep in mind.

You're 100% right. Homer most definitely is king.

My son Billy lived in Homer, NY for several years after he graduated from college.....then he got married and bought a house all the way over in Cortland, NY.....almost a 3 mile ride...LOL

Always thought there should of been a statue of "Homer" when you entered the small town of Homer....LOL... :rofl2:....great little town atmosphere with a lots of historical buildings.

Now lets launch that Ice Resort.....Get 'R Done......angry-smiley-8002.gif

Well, I think it is absolutly wonderful and you have done a fantastic job of desigining and building it. I have had many wonderful ice fishing trips but one that I remember most was an ice challet up on Nippissing. It was -40 out side and I was sitting inside in a t-shirt, in front of a nice fire place, enjoying a hot meal and catching fish.

Good on you for having a dream and doing something about it :worthy:

BTW.....has there ever been any thought by anyone to build a large ice hut that gets put together in easy to assemble panels once on the ice and then disassemble to remove from the ice at the end of the season....I would think with some pre-engineering this wouldn't be that hard to accomplish...then weight wouldn't be much of a problem....just saying...

BTW.....has there ever been any thought by anyone to build a large ice hut that gets put together in easy to assemble panels once on the ice and then disassemble to remove from the ice at the end of the season....I would think with some pre-engineering this wouldn't be that hard to accomplish...then weight wouldn't be much of a problem....just saying...

Many years ago, that is how I built my hut. Didn't take up a lot of space when storing it, easy to move, and comfortable. A bunch of nuts and bolts to hold the walls and roof together and a bit of sprayfoam and all was good. Except for when I was the only guy available to take it off at the end of the season. Managed to get one of the others to help out, put it away and was never used again. In the end it became a storage shed.

Fishnwire

I'm new a member and triing to figure this site out.I spent 3 years figuring out my shack (6x8 )to the way I wanted and it is built very comfortly for two, never have to block it up, never bank it with snow and it lifts up and ready to move in less than 30 seconds even when it is froze in the ice 3 inches usuing a battery operated drill. I have atempted to make videos and will get better at them and I building the site too,it's slow but you can see my shack

On the winter Video page click on the (Fishing Mikey Style) video and there is another ( raising the shack)

And the (ideers) page is the ice hut ideas

good luck

www.fishingmikeystyle.ca

My link

Major milestone...mini update.

After three consecutive days I could have had off but dedicated to "the Company", I finally had one to myself. I slept in a bit because I haven't been able to do so for a while and was at the build site by 10:30 or so. First we started the heater and then we spent a few minutes clearing the area in front of the shack (where the sawhorse is) of snow. Then we went to work.

By then end of the day we finished all the interior paneling. I think it looks awesome and clears the way to begin benches, shelves and wiring.

IMG_0543.jpg

I hear there are trucks on the ice where this thing is destined so I figure I'll do one bench and one shelf and then get it on the ice. I can finish the rest of the inside stuff there (using a generator for the power tools) and as an added bonus...can fish while doing so.

It won't be long, gents.