Tent Garage

NAW

I need some NF help.

I've been waiting for these tent garage units to go on sale at CTC. They have one for 50% off, but there are mixed reviews.

Anyone have this exact same one?

I move into my new house on Wed, and need some extra storage for the boat and sled.

I have linked the flyer below. Page 10.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0371105P/no-autoshelter-instant-garage-10x20-ft-3x6m-reviews/reviews.htm

http://canadiantire.shoplocal.com/canadiantire/Default.aspx?action=entryflash&LanguageID=1&CityStateZip&icid=D348%20Flyer%20Preview%20En%202011&atr=SOURCE_REG&subid=2674733&linkid=Weekly+Flyer&et_cid=17654836&et_rid=500483512&linked=Weekly+Flyer

Edited by N.A.W

I just bought one. Installed the frame last weekend, and will be putting the tarp on it on the weekend.Took me 4 hours to assemble the dang frame.When i take it down in the spring, i will leave the frame pieces intact, and just remove the cross pieces.

It seems to be a good solid structure, but the instructions are difficult to follow.(translated from unknown language)

After you build the frame(if you are following step by step) you have to remove the end bolts for all the cross pieces to wrap the door sections around the end frame.wallbash.gif Get yourself some wing nuts and use them instead of the nuts provided.Comes with 2 anchors, you really need to get 4 more.

I bought the 12x20 garage a few years ago. The roof did tear. I contacted the company, sent some pictures and they sent out a new roof. (1 year warranty I believe) In between I just bought a tarp (50x30 I believe) and put that over to keep things dry. (Got about 8 months out of the tarp, UV killed it) Put the new roof over the old roof to allow for a bit of extra protection against the frame. So far so good but will put another tarp over it for the winter/spring until it breaks down.

Company service was good when I had the problem. The door and back panel are done and wish CT would sell the replacement parts. For the back panel I just tucked a blue tarp in and that has helped. the door still keeps most stuff out and isn't really a concern right now. I'd buy another but would watch for the sales. Might just buy another for the door and back panels as a door was almost as much as the whole unit when I looked into it.

Edit, second getting the extra anchors. Not sure I'd trust the wing nuts as a permanent solution for holding the frame, not sure if you'd get them tight enough. :dunno: . Might be handy until things at the full assembled point and then put the regular nets in place.

Edited by fishnsled

Just thought of another tip for these things. I use heavy duty 14 inch tie wraps to hold the bottom of the roof section to the lower cross piece, instead of the nylon rope they provide.That way you can tighten them if need be.Just cut them in the spring.

I have two of them that are 10'X20' and one 10'X10'.

My oldest one is now 5 years old and still in good condition.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I will tell you that it is best if you can put it in a place that is at least semi out of the wind.

The cords that attach the ends to the frame will wear out over time and this is accellerated in windy areas. The end panels can also tear at the grommets if it is in a windy area.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to knock the snow off the roof or the weight can damage the structure. I go out to mine when there is a couple of inches on them and use a broom to knock the snow off from inside the tent.

The best way I have found to anchor/mount these things is to trench out the area where the sides are going to sit and install pressure treated 6"X6" beams and back fill leaving the top of the beam level with the surrounding land and then using 2 1/2" lag screws and washers anchor to the 6"X6"'s.

The best way I have found to anchor/mount these things is to trench out the area where the sides are going to sit and install pressure treated 6"X6" beams and back fill leaving the top of the beam level with the surrounding land and then using 2 1/2" lag screws and washers anchor to the 6"X6"'s.

Good advice. Mine ended up in my maple tree last fall.Gave my nosey neighbors something to talk about all winterwhistling.gif

I use a 10 X 20 Shelter Logic for storing firewood out behind the garage and sofar so good after 2 seasons.

Sposed to stand up well against UV and is well built with a strong metal frame, although a bit of a pain to put together initially. As mentioned by Drifter though, you definetely need to knock the snow off the roof.

Once this one gives up the ghost though, I think I'll be either building or buying a permanent one, then no need to worry about it collapsing or tearing during big winds or heavy snowfalls.

Make sure you buy one with a sturdy frame. Most soft metal frames buckle in snow loads or high winds. I had one for my boat that was a wood frame, heavy ground anchors and aviation cable tensioners. When I sold my house it was 7 years old and in good enough condition for someone to buy it and reassemble at his house.

All too often, if you buy cheap, you will get what you pay for.

I have 2 of the smaller units. Use screw tightener on the bolts cause a season of wind will loosen them. I'll second the auger comment. High winds will bend those thick poles and trust me they are even worse to put together the second time. My tarps have taken a beating over the last year and a bit, small tears all over fixed with duct tape. Great cheap option but if you have cash pass.

My brother has had one now for a few years , it did'nt take long for the wind and snow to take its toll on the tarp , instead of buying a second new tarp he straped the steel frame with decking boards then close it in with sheet tin , it stood up well last winter .

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I ended up buying the $200 10x20 garage. But I have to honestly say, I don't think it's going to last for a long time.

The 3 main things that I've read which wreck these things it Wind, Snow, and UV. The place I'm storing it is the bush, with some good shade in the summer, and shelter from the wind. I'm thinking about adding some re-enforcement to the roof, and a few other things to extend the life.

It should work out alright for what I need it for, as long as I stay on top of the maintenance.

My ShelterLogic has a low pitched roof and sits in the open and I have to clean it off after every snowfall. Don't know how much snow it would hold but I don't take any chances. Not a big deal though as it only takes a few minutes.

My neighbor on the other hand has a tent with a high pitched roof and it sits under some cedar trees. The trees keep most of the snow off the roof and what does land basically just slides off. Never once last winter did his roof need cleaning.

Just something to think about.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I ended up buying the $200 10x20 garage. But I have to honestly say, I don't think it's going to last for a long time.

The 3 main things that I've read which wreck these things it Wind, Snow, and UV.

The oldest one I have is 4 years old and it's still quite servicable. The covers are treated against UV damage. A regular tarp lasts about a year and the roof on the 4 year old garage of mine is fine. As I said that major issues are wind and snow load. 4-6 inches of wet snow will buckle the roof trusses so make sure to knock the snow off. Having it in the woods will help a lot (until a tree falls on it). :whistling:

I have the Shelter Logic Large grey one with the domed roof. It is 12' x 24' & 10' high. I am on my 4th year and the ends are starting to show wear. The roll up door is almost done. I have never had to clear snow off and this thing is pulled real tight.

To anchor it down, we drove re-bar into the ground on an angle and then clamped U bolts to the rods. The structure is secured to the clamps with cables. The screw type anchors were useless in hard ground. They just snapped off while trying to screw them in.

If the roof stays in good shape, I might try to fill in the ends with plywood & add barn doors to the front. I paid $499.00 on sale at CTC.

The shape of the roof in the ones in your link look weak. I have seen a lot of that type collapse. I don't think the roof material is tight enough on those either.

To help keep the snow off, we ran 1/8” soft rope (almost like shoe lace but stronger) from the ridge pole down to the top side wall poles. Running the rope in kind of a zigzag pattern; that held the tarp from sagging between the joist poles and creating pockets for the snow to sit.

Another thing we did was to wash the roof tarp as best we could with soap & water and then spray it with a silicone/teflon automotive spray wax.

Bought a gallon jug of the stuff and used a weed sprayer to apply it. This sealed the tarp even more so, made it smoother and slippery; slightest bit of wind and the snow just slid off all on its own.

Dan.

To help keep the snow off, we ran 1/8” soft rope (almost like shoe lace but stronger) from the ridge pole down to the top side wall poles. Running the rope in kind of a zigzag pattern; that held the tarp from sagging between the joist poles and creating pockets for the snow to sit.

Another thing we did was to wash the roof tarp as best we could with soap & water and then spray it with a silicone/teflon automotive spray wax.

Bought a gallon jug of the stuff and used a weed sprayer to apply it. This sealed the tarp even more so, made it smoother and slippery; slightest bit of wind and the snow just slid off all on its own.

Dan.

That's thinking outside the box eh.. Thanks for the tips!

To help keep the snow off, we ran 1/8" soft rope (almost like shoe lace but stronger) from the ridge pole down to the top side wall poles. Running the rope in kind of a zigzag pattern; that held the tarp from sagging between the joist poles and creating pockets for the snow to sit.

Dan.

Good tips Dan!

• 2 weeks later...

Before:

DSC02498.jpg

I cleaned up, and roped off a 10 x 20 area of the bush. Fit just in between some big trees. I only ended up having to cut down 2 small trees.

After:

DSC02526.jpg

It only took about 4 hours. Went together very easily. I just have to straighten it out a little, then anchor it down. I think I'm going to make my own anchors out of re-bar.

Edited by N.A.W