Household deep fryers & Fish

Lunker777

This weekend I will be rapping 1" cubes of duck and goose breast with a hot pepper and B A C O N ....then placed on skewers and cooked on the BBQ at deer camp....probably wouldn't get a deer, but we'll eat good.

You yanks don't know what real bacon is.

In regards to bacon wrapped walleye,I've found frying better than BBQ or oven,by the time the bacon is cooked in oven or BBQ,the fish is overcooked.Imho

I'll second that! Fryer is the better way to go!

I have done them on the BBQ a couple of times, when I do I spritz them with Italian salad dressing. BBQ them on high heat and wrap slightly larger pieces of fish, it helps to keep it from over cooking too much.

As far as the oil thing is concerned; when we do a fondue we use peanut oil so there is no flavour transfer between the things we are doing. I guess it would too expensive to use for larger applications and probably not too good for people with peanut alergies.

Great on it's own, but accompaniments could include: Maple syrup, cocktail sauce, bbq sauce, dill sour cream dip or tarter sauce. thumbsup_anim.gif

Well, i must say, that was excellent. I tried the maple syrop, and it was fantasticclapping.gif Who would have thought that walleye and maple syrop would go well togetherthumbsup_anim.gif An i deep fried it. Deep fried bacon Yummmm, i can feel my arteries hardening already.stretcher.gif

I don't cook my fish in the deep fryer, but try using peanut oil. Apparently one of the advantages of using it is that it apparently does not retain the flavor of previously cooked foods in it.

Oops, didn't see BigCliff's above reply.

Edited by Hooked

Yes we do...it's you Canucks that are fooled eating ham thinking it's bacon...it's not B A C O N unless it's the real McCoy.

Actualy Billy we didn't call it Canadian Bacon, the Brits named it in the war. The rations were sent overseas and nobody knew what to call it so the term Canadian Bacon was coined and it stuck.

What is the one thing Canadian you can buy in the states that you can't find here? Or at least rarely, Canadian Bacon. Go figure eh. Up here we call it back bacon.

Actualy Billy we didn't call it Canadian Bacon, the Brits named it in the war. The rations were sent overseas and nobody knew what to call it so the term Canadian Bacon was coined and it stuck.

What is the one thing Canadian you can buy in the states that you can't find here? Or at least rarely, Canadian Bacon. Go figure eh. Up here we call it back bacon.

THANKS, always wonder where that name came from....

Bob

NP Billy, years ago I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find Canadian Bacon in the stores? Heard about it on the TV but couldn't get it. Wondered what the hell it looked like and thought wow! It must be really really special! Then I found out from my mother that C.Bacon and back bacon were the same thing, man I felt like an idiot. A few years ago I read an article about it and the previous post I made sums it up.