First Musky Trip a SUCCESS!!

Live2fish85

Hey there every one. I haven't posted in awhile. This week is something the I figured was worth posting. My friend and I went on our first trip musky fishing, after talking with my cousin and reading lots on fall musky fishing we were of to the Kawarthas. We left friday around 10am to miss the traffic and got to our destination in good time. We launch the boat and figured out then that the battery was dead haha. So it was to late to go and get a battery so we just kept the boat in at the docks as we planned to do for the weekend. Rather then just give up and a bit of day light left we decided to cast from shore. Sure enough after about 20 mins BAM I got one on and get it in. Finally landed my first Musky. I don't have a picture of that one as my friends camera was right there and ready at the time. I didn't have a measuring tape ready so didn't measure it but I think it was around 30 or 32 inches. Nothing huge but still a great fight and great feeling. We fished awhile longer and then went back to the hotel for the night.

Next morning we were up early and got a battery then right to the boat. We get everything reasy and we are off. we were fishing for about and hour and this thing hammered my bucktail not once but twice and thank god he got it. It is my biggest musky yet and an awesome feeling.

39 Inch

IMG_1483.jpg

Well after that nothing could have made my day bad. I have read and heard of lots of people being skunked there first time and some first few times so I was happy to say the least.

Well we fished for awhile with out much action we had one chase my friends bait but would take it. Well all of a sudden I am turned around and talking to my buddy and this thing hammers my bucktail again scared the crap out of me. Well I got hin in quick knew he was smaller so just a quick pic and back he went.

2011-11-12134318.jpg

Well we fished for a bit longer and I know it sucks to get skunked and I let my buddy use the bucktail I had and was getting all the fish on. Well about a half hour later I hear him yell fish on. He got the fish in quick netted abd after a quick pic he put him back and didnt care to measure him. that ended up being it for the weekend.

IMG_1487.jpg

I can easily say my best and most memorable fishing trip. Nothing better then best friends since the age of 3 get there first musky each on there first trip. An I couldn't be upet with going 3/3 on my first trip.

Hope you guys enjoy and I hope to break the 40 inch very soon.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Live2fish85

Thanks again. I don't care about my grammar that much although after re-reading it, well it truely was horrible. Oh well and thank you for understanding that posting from a phone is not that easy but rather then wait to post it, I did it now.

Edited by Live2fish85

nice...

i hear it go the other way all to often...

"i tried musky fishing all day and didnt catch anything... i quit..."

even the best musky guys get skunked from time to time... but getting 3 on your first trip is sweet... and with a decent fish as well...

id start looking for more of those inlines...or similar ones...considering it was the only thing producing... you both could have been using one...

Thanks Mike. I told my friend to get that same lure in the first place as I was told to try that certain colour pattern and my friend said no lol. I did have a few other lure with the same colour pattern but they wouldn't hit. I also got 2/3 doing a jerk and pause and my friends was as well. It shows why these fish are so hard to catch. I will be selling some bass gear now for sure and be getting some more musky gear.

Edited by Live2fish85

Thanks Mike. I told my friend to get that same lure in the first place as I was told to try that certain colour pattern and my friend said no lol. I did have a few other lure with the same colour pattern but they wouldn't hit. I also got 2/3 doing a jerk and pause and my friends was as well. It shows why these fish are so hard to catch. I will be selling some bass gear now for sure and be getting some more musky gear.

talk to anybody you can about what to buy...and how to set up your gear...

your better off getting the right stuff up front instead of replacing items over the years... then when you figure out what YOU like to use... expand from there...

Yea I hear ya. I always ask about rods and reels before I buy them.

I am looking into getting a new reel for musky. I was lucky that they were hitting the bucktail as I spooled my citica with 50lb power pro. I know that reel isn't meant to throw big lures so I want something for around 200 that will handle good sized lures as well as musky bucktails and that. For the most part I will just be casting.

Any good thoughts on some reels for around 200.

Also for the rod I don't want to spend an arm and a leg so does any one know how the St. Croix Mojo Musky rods are? I have used the mojo bass and I had no problems with them. Also what would be the best rod choice a MH fast tip?

Any help is appreciated.

i like my curado 301e

you can get left or right handed models...

they are about 250 right now...

but most large capacity reels are good at the 200 range...

most musky guys go with round style reels because they are durable... but i like the comfort of low profile....

my first reel was an abu ambasador for 6 bucks.... still going strong 10 years later...

i dont know anybody with mojo musky rods... but all my rods but 1 are st.croix premiers and they are great... $150-200

my favorite is the 7 foot 6 inch heavy action... great all around rod... i have 2 now.... small fish are still fun on it and it can handle the big girls... i had a longer heavier rod and sold it to buy another one of these...

the curado on the 7'6" heavy is a combo you can cast all day...

but its not the best reel to troll with...

also keep in mind that when you casting you only cast 100 feet or so... so you dont need a huge reel full of line... musky dont peel 80-100lb line off of a reel... the important thing is how strong the drag is..

Edited by Musky Mike

Congrats on your first Muskie! St.Croix Muskie Mojo rods are nice rods, any St.Croix is a nice rod! If you'd like to get to know some other Muskie-addicts and have a night out consider coming to a Meeting of the Hamilton Chapter of Muskies Canada. Our Dec meeting is our Christmas meeting, bring a new lure for the prize table and recieve a ticket to win a St.Croix rod (a Legand Tournament I think, worth $325) We'll have a great lure raffle, and the Chapter provides the chicken wings! Guests always welcome, no pressure to join...

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/chapters/hamilton.php

Hey Mike thanks for that info. I would rather cast with a curado then a round reel as well. Like I said I like to cast more then I do troll, so the curado is something I think I would be more likely to get.

If I do decide to troll would my dipsey reel work they have 50lbs braid on them. Or would that type of reel not hold them well.

Hey Mike thanks for that info. I would rather cast with a curado then a round reel as well. Like I said I like to cast more then I do troll, so the curado is something I think I would be more likely to get.

If I do decide to troll would my dipsey reel work they have 50lbs braid on them. Or would that type of reel not hold them well.

trolling is where i get cheep

i use a diawa accudepth line counter...$60

they hold up just fine... i catch 90% of my musky trolling with these reels...

im sure your dipsy reels are ok... but ive snapped 50lb braid like dental floss on big musky... it can dig into itself on the spool of the reel... then you lose your fish and have to cut your line off the spool... you can give it a try... but i use 100lb power pro and 50lb mono...

if you can afford it... id get another counter reel and 80-100lb braid...

im sure some would disagree.... it kinda depends where you fish... there are lots of 50 inch fish caught here every year... so i need heavy duty gear...

if you fish kawartha musky...you may be able to get away with 50lb test and a MH st.croix musky rod... thats your call...

just remember... with trolling... your going 3-7mph... thatll strain the best gear...

That's awsome, especially getting one from shore with a dead boat!

Had my 1st musky experience last month and went 3/3 as well. (1st Musky in Avatar photo at 43") Definitely opens your eyes to new needs & wants for fishing. i.e. NEED to feel the rush of the top predator fish hitting your offering, WANT to get as much new gear to fill that NEED as can afford! :thumbsup_anim: (Although my 1st gear purchase after my 1st trip was actually a centre pin and float rod :blush: )

I've got my sights set on landing a 50"...one of these days. :thumbsup_anim: