Fisher problems

NAW

We've had a mink at our house off and on for years. This summer he got in a little tussle with our dog at the door of the boathouse, what a vicious little bugger. Moosy tossed it in the air a few times and it took off. Both our cats had front row seats and didn't move a muscle.

He must still be around, just the other day my minnow bucket got cleaned out hanging from the dock. :wallbash:

I put a call into the MNR, and am waiting for them to call back. I want to know if this animal comes on my property, if I am allowed to shoot it. Or do I have to wait for it to do something crazy, like attack my dog..

If he's not on your property, I don't think there is anything you can do.

And to be honest, you moved to the country, what did you expect? Don't leave the dog out unattended or it will be dinner.

Nick - aside from your Fisher problem, a HUGE congrats on your new property! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks!

N.A.W.: That's a crazy story.... I bet your heart rate went up rapidly! haha.

I reached down to clip on my release, and the when I looked up it was 20 yards closer. That made me start to think a little faster!

I have no idea why people don`t expect to find " wildlife " in the woods. :clapping:

I've been an outdoorsman my entire life in this area of Ontario, and have never seen a fisher.

I'm sure that we can co-inside with this fisher with out any problems. My yard is fenced in, so my dog wont be able to wander far.

Don't get me wrong guys. I moved to the country fully expecting to see all sorts of wildlife. That's actually one of the reasons I moved to the country (or a tleast a change in the "Wildlife" I'm used to seeing in Barrie). I don't want you guys to think I'm some little nancy boy who's afraid to go in the woods because of the big bad fisher.... Just looking for some advice, or past experience you've had. The last thing I need after spending all of my savings on a new house, it a $2000 vet bill..

Edited by N.A.W

Sell little dog, buy wolf! Problem solved :) :)

Congrats on the new place, I love visiting my parents place north of Barrie. Always something interesting in the back yard!

:rofl2: I can't afford a divorce right now either..

Edited by N.A.W

This guy at Liberty?

100_0302.jpg

He/she was on shore when it saw me, then jumped in and swam right out to my canoe. It would have come closer had I not moved to take my lure out of his strike zone.

I don't think it's a fisher...

Yeah, something like that guy, but it was only on the shore when I was there. I see that huge stickerel in your shot too, I believe I caught that one a couple times. Might be a different one, since that lake is stacked with them and not much else.

If you don't think that's a fisher, what do you think it is? I looked up martens and fishers and weasels and whatever else I could find, and the one I saw looked most like a fisher.

Yeah, something like that guy, but it was only on the shore when I was there. I see that huge stickerel in your shot too, I believe I caught that one a couple times. Might be a different one, since that lake is stacked with them and not much else.

If you don't think that's a fisher, what do you think it is? I looked up martens and fishers and weasels and whatever else I could find, and the one I saw looked most like a fisher.

A mink I think.

Nick...I think I found your YouTube Channel! LMAO! Is this you? :rofl2:

Haha. Nope. Good find though. I'm thinking, if it becomes a problem, I will take Randy's advice. Live trap, and re-locate to my bosses back yard..

Aw thats just some of the joys of living in the country , you have'nt seen it all yet Nick ..... lol .

Can be sure without a size reference; but I say it is most likely a mink. Weasles, mink, marten, otter, and fisher all have the same shape. But they are different sizes. If it's in the water it is mostly either a mink or otter.

Haha. Nope. Good find though. I'm thinking, if it becomes a problem, I will take Randy's advice. Live trap, and re-locate to my bosses back yard..

Nick...thanks to this forum...I learned a lot about trapping rodents! And my friend almost did relocate the raccoon to her bosses backyard! But she chose a Gold Club instead! :rofl2:

We got one that lives in the river bank in a tree stump root were we fish. I've gone over to retrieve floats off the bank by the stump a few times and heard it growling at me from inside the stump. Needless to say I don't spend a lot of time near that old stump. This guy is a big full grown fisher and more than likely has a family in there as well.

The one I saw from nose to tail was about 3.5 feet long.

Where's Luc G when you need him! I'm sure he would know exactly how to tell the difference for you guys.

I'm 99% sure what I saw was a fisher. I'm going in the bush tomorrow morning, I'll try to grab a picture.

Edited by N.A.W

I just got my call returned by the MNR. We discussed a few options.

Option #1 - Have a trapper come in and make some money from the pelt (around $80).

Option #2 - Live Trap. Which will not likely work, as there is a law stating that you can not move an animal more the 1km in a live trap. He explained the reasons for this, I can elaborate if anyone wants to know why.

Option #3 - Leave the fisher as is, and just don't let my dog out un-attended in low light times of the day. Which for us Canadians is all the time in the winter..<_<

He went on to say that Fishers are incredible little mammals, and that they are not aggressive toward humans unless cornered. He believes that all of the negative thoughts about them is based on fear, and that they're not as bad and people make them out to be. He thinks the fisher was not charging me, rather then just running around in the woods, and didn't notice me because of my camo. (I don't believe that though, I was up and moving around)

He did confirm my concerns about my small dog, and the a low potential for an attack. I have a friend who is a trapper (new to the business), but he doesn't have a quota for Fishers. The MNR guy did say that if I get my trapper buddy in contact with him, that he would give him a licence to possess and sell 1 Fisher pelt. This would allow him to come help me trap the Fisher.

Thanks to everyone for the replies to this thread. I appreciate all for your input.

I think I will let this one play out. If I move in, and never see the Fisher near my dog, or causing damage to my property, I will let it be. But if it starts to get aggressive toward my dog, then I might take some further steps to remove it from the property.

I'd personally love to have one near my place. They are very, very cool animals.

Also WAY less of a threat to your dog than say, a group of coyotes (depending on where you live).

If a bald eagle nests in your backyard are you going to take it down as well? They like to eat little doggies too. :-)

I'd personally love to have one near my place. They are very, very cool animals.

Also WAY less of a threat to your dog than say, a group of coyotes (depending on where you live).

If a bald eagle nests in your backyard are you going to take it down as well? They like to eat little doggies too. :-)

I would discourage a blad eagle to nest in my back yard, but we all know that's a bad example, as it would be a 1 in a million chance of that happening in my area (I get your humor though). And coyotes are open season for me to shoot, unlike Fisher, which are illigal for me to shoot.

Edited by N.A.W

The one I saw from nose to tail was about 3.5 feet long.

Where's Luc G when you need him! I'm sure he would know exactly how to tell the difference for you guys.

I'm 99% sure what I saw was a fisher. I'm going in the bush tomorrow morning, I'll try to grab a picture.

Certainly not a mink, the one by my place is no bigger than a large squirrel.

You need a Redneck to take care of the problem....do you have any around...Is Randy close to you.... :dunno:

First thing a Redneck would tell you is, DON'T ever contact a government agency to help you because they will only make matters worse.

The rest I think you can figure out yourself now... :whistling:

Bob