ice fishing prep - what do I need?

adolson

Instead of hi-jacking everyone elses' threads about ice fishing, I figured I'd start my own. (Sinclair, put all further invitations for me in here.)

So, as Boss pointed out in the other thread, Le Baron has this InstaShak on sale for around 1/2 price compared to Canadian Tire. The shipping is reasonable, and I am convinced ice fishing is fun (you guys say it, so it must be true), so I want to give it a shot.

Some kind of heater would be good, but I am not sure what works and doesn't break the bank, etc. (I assume you can use a small heater in one of these things?)

I have an old GX125 reel I was hoping to pull off my Ugly Stik and use on a cheap, small ice fishing rod. It's spooled up with 8lb Trilene XT. I also considered buying a Sedona 2500FD (only if I could share spools with my Spirex 2500FG - they look to me to be the same size, but I'm not sure) but I'd use it also in the summer on a second rod.

I would need an auger. Is the Eskimo brand auger any good? Le Baron has 6", 7", and 8" models for $38-44 - which size would you recommend? I've heard 6" can be too small if you hook a big fish, which is unlikely for me, but would be just my luck. Someone else said that 8" takes too long to drill. So I was thinking 7" maybe? It seems uncommon, though. Are the brands at Canadian Tire better? I know they had one by Swede-Bore I saw for about $75.

What other essentials would you suggest I buy? Keeping in mind I have to carry everything on foot and I am not rich. (I know I don't need the shack, but if I do get it (and a heater), I think I can convince the wife to come with me sometimes, and it'd be nice to have that wind break and less blinding light all day long.)

Thanks for any help.

950776.jpg

Edited by Dana

I bought eskimo auger from LeBaron last year and had to exchange it 2 times. Spend a little bit more and get a better one, Swede-Bore is great one - see if you can get it on sale.

Where are you planning to fish and what will be your primary target - if it's a panfish go with 6', bigger - 8'.

You will need a bucket for minnows and chair to seat. Probaly a tip-up as well. You will need a small sled - i got mine form CT last year 50% of to get everything to place.

I forgot about lures - at least couple rapalas jigging raps, small and big williams, bad boys.

Another member Hirk is selling a lot of staff 50% off right now - check classified.

Edited by Cosmos

Dana

There are a lot of guys using the Mr Heater Little Buddy Heaters to heat their huts.

They work well in the South (don't put out enough heat for our weather way up North, especially in the depths of winter).

You're going to want something to sit on.

I prefer those light folding camp chairs for use in my cube.

You are also going to want a sled of some sort for dragging your gear out to the fishing grounds.

Early ice I have an inexpensive CT sled that I have rigged with rope tie downs (drilled 5/16" holes 1 foot a part around the rim and threaded 1/4" poly rope in and out of the holes to give me a place to lash my stuff to) to keep my stuff from falling out.

Here is a pic of my sled.

KamLk_11_13_10_1.jpg

If you are mostly fishing for pan fish (perch, walleye etc.) a 6" auger is fine and is much easier to punch holes with. The 8" takes a lot more work. I have one of these for early season ice fishing and it works well. But I put it away when the ice gets to be a foot thick, then I pull out the 10" 3HP Strikemaster power auger.

Your reel should work fine. If you find it stiffening up open it up and clean out the grease and replace with some Quantum Hot Sauce or orher cold friendly grease.

Most importantly is safety gear (especially early and late in the season).

I carry a set of ice picks and a spud bar for testing ice thickness when walking out to my spot early in the season(spud bar can bee seen on the ice in the first pic).

Thanks for the heads up about the Eskimo auger. I checked the CT site again, and the Swede-Bore is only 6". I am hoping to go after lakers and walleye as well, so I'm thinking 8". The other brands I saw on there were Sub-Zero and Normark. There's also a Finbore, but it's $120, compared to $75 for the Normark and $60 for the Sub-Zero.

Well the gear can be very simple, or very in depth. If your trying to save money, I would suggest Kijiji and Garage sales (a little late for garage sales now).

I picked up a used auger for $10. I bought 4 rods, 2 reels, and 50+ ice fishing lures for $40. Camp chair %50 off at CT for $10. You will need a skimmer to clean the ice chunks out of your hole after you drill it, and as it freezes up during your day. I would highly suggest a steel one. The plastic ones break very easily.

You really don't need a hut. Just warm clothes, and a thermos full of hot coffee and baileys. If you just wanting to try it, a hut could be a big waste of money. If you're hell bent on getting one, go used.

As far as warm clothes go. I would suggest a floater suite. Most are very warm. See them on Kijiji for $100ish. I bought a mustang floater from the 90's for 25 bucks on Kijiji, and used it for 2 years before I upgraded to a $400 Salus.

You can get in to Ice fishing really cheap if you want. Or you can spend thousands.. Either way, once you get out there, you'll love it.

And yes. Blair's hut is AWESOME.. Nice and warm, and tons of space. Even has a crapper in it!

Edited by N.A.W

Dana, I only ever use a heater on a very cold and windy day in my Clam 200 hut. 90% of the season I bring it but never use it, you are farther North so you decide. I got a $100+ heater for $20 or $25 of a member here a few years ago. Other wise I would still be dressing warmer and heater free. It's your hands and feet that really get cold. For your feet to stay a WHOLE LOT warmer, I bring a rubber matt or something else to stand on. Anything between your boots and the ice/snow makes a HUGE diff. for your feet at the end of the day. In my hut I don't bother but let's say young_one and I are going out fishing and using his hut, I do my best to bring one! Same idea can apply to trying to sleep in a hut, get something that can insulate you between the ice and your sleeping bag.

If your local cdn tire has the fin bore auger, do a price match with lebarons price, there shouldn't be an issue since lebarons are located on Ontario. Also I think the little buddy heater was on sale at bass pro for about 100$, they had a pallet of them 2 weeks ago, dunno if they are still on sale though.

The 6 inch swede bore is ridiculously easy to use when the blades are sharp.

A cheap walmart rod works fine with a summer real, just make sure it'll fit in the reel seat.

For a seat I use my minnow bucket and a "hot seat" pad. Works fine and is cheap.

Can't help u with the hut as I'm a commando type ice fisher. (The hut not my underwear)

Good snowpants, jacket and plenty of those disposable hand warmers are your best friend when ice fishing

Dana. Let me back this thread up a couple of decades. To catch fish through the ice you need the following, and nothing more. Transportation to your lake of choice, some half decent winter clothing, a manual ice auger, a slush scoop, a couple of spools of mono, some hooks and sinkers, and some bait. You don't need any rods and reels, heaters, ice huts, gas augers etc.

Dana. Let me back this thread up a couple of decades. To catch fish through the ice you need the following, and nothing more. Transportation to your lake of choice, some half decent winter clothing, a manual ice auger, a slush scoop, a couple of spools of mono, some hooks and sinkers, and some bait. You don't need any rods and reels, heaters, ice huts, gas augers etc.

Yeah.. you're right. I think maybe I'll just get a good auger, and a rod for my reel (just because it's cheap, and I'd rather reel than pull by hand), and the other stuff you mentioned and see how it goes. I am sure the huts will go on sale again before next winter, if I really end up liking it. I do have a hard time passing up a deal of what I see as about 1/2 price, but it's better to not spend at all, than to spend less. Especially when I'm currently unsure.

GBW, I don't have a snowmachine (you mentioned this in that other thread). :(

Don't forget the COMPASS, you might be as comfortable as a bug in the rug in your hut, but when the wind blows up the unforecast whiteout, it will point you back to where you started from on shore. If you don't know how to use one reliably, get some old Army gruntto teach you.

Dana,

If you're not sure and just want to try out ice fishing for a bit, why don't you just head over to Cook's Bay for some perch? Pick a nice sunny day that's not windy, and you won't even need an auger because there are going to be a bunch of holes pre drilled for you :).

This way you don't have to buy any speciality gear at all. While fishing in a crowd in someone else's previously used holes isn't many people's cup of tea (or mine), it's good to just try something new out for a bit.

I say find out if you enjoy it before you spend a lot of $$$ on it. Skip the hut, skip the heater. Bundle up and head out on a nice day and give it a go. The best advice I can give is dress light for the walk out. I stuff my extra cloths in a waterproof bag. Do your walk and drill your holes. Once you have settled in if you start to get chilled start layering the extra cloths on. It's a lot better then wearing too much cloths out and getting all sweaty and then sitting out in the elements with damp cloths and getting a chill...cause that will ruin your day faster then anything.

I would also suggest sunglasses and a baseball cap to keep the sun/glare out of your eyes.

I use a 5 inch strikemaster lazer auger for 90% of my fishing..so I wouldn't worry too much about an auger bigger then 6 inches to start.

Get out and give it a go.

Nope that's the point of jogging. :whistling:

I think that Dana is just looking for a cheap way to get out and try ice fishing Dave. No need to scare him off. He doesn't need anything more than what I suggested. Think you're the king of cold because of where you live? Don't you work indoors? I worked outdoors in Red Lake last Jan., Feb., and March when -30 was a nice day. 3 years ago I worked north of Pickle Lake outdoors in -50 temps. And 6 years ago I worked in average -45 temps in Marten Falls, where the Ogoki meets the Albany, for 3 months . Bottom line here is that you can enjoy ice fishing or any other outdoor activity with decent clothing.

Dana,

as was mentioned perhaps go with a buddy once or twice to see if you want to drop the coin.

Just need your basics really, but am considering getting a hut this year too. I had ordered the same hut from Lebaron but the 4 man is on back order as of this week.

I already got the little buddy because I need it, and this year will bring a pad for the feet.

However, my buddy had the same hut last year and had to return it twice because of one issue or another, so am in the process of sourcing a different one. Trying to find a pop up with thermal fabric.

fin bore III best manual auger takes alot less effort

the buddy heaters are great but being in a hut alone makes a huge difference because theres no wind

the shimano should be good to go but as suggested if it gets stiff check the reel grease

and a small sled to pull everything out in will make it alot easier

and as drifter mentioned safety gear for early and late season, spud bar and icepics

Alright, I have decided that here's what I'm going to try to get:

• warm clothing / boots / gloves
  • icepicks
  • spud bar
  • auger (FinBore or Swede-Bore, probably, 6" I guess)
  • cheapo ice rod
  • skimmer
  • rope
  • 2012 sports fishing license
  • sled (maybe, it'd have to fit in my car and I'd have to struggle carrying this stuff in a backpack first)

I have chairs and clip-on polarized sunglasses already, as well as a rod holder (my hands). I need to find a ballcap big enough to fit on my fat head (for summer fishing, too, it'd be a help). I'll skip the other, more expensive stuff until I'm sure I'm addicted, and at that point I'll probably get some snowshoes before a hut or anything like that.

There's still a while before ice yet, so I'll keep my eyes open for sales and used stuff. Even if I bought all of this new, I think it would be manageable.

Thanks for the input!

If you're not sure and just want to try out ice fishing for a bit, why don't you just head over to Cook's Bay for some perch?

It's like almost 6 hours south from me! That's a long drive just to get some perch... lol

There are tons of lakes around me. The hardest part of summer fishing was choosing which one to stick my canoe in. I reckon ice fishing will be the same., only with an auger in place of the canoe (unfortunately).

Edited by Dana

Alright, I have decided that here's what I'm going to try to get:

• warm clothing / boots / gloves
  • icepicks
  • spud bar
  • auger (FinBore or Swede-Bore, probably, 6" I guess)
  • cheapo ice rod
  • skimmer
  • rope
  • 2012 sports fishing license
  • sled (maybe, it'd have to fit in my car and I'd have to struggle carrying this stuff in a backpack first)

I have chairs and clip-on polarized sunglasses already, as well as a rod holder (my hands). I need to find a ballcap big enough to fit on my fat head (for summer fishing, too, it'd be a help). I'll skip the other, more expensive stuff until I'm sure I'm addicted, and at that point I'll probably get some snowshoes before a hut or anything like that.

There's still a while before ice yet, so I'll keep my eyes open for sales and used stuff. Even if I bought all of this new, I think it would be manageable.

Thanks for the input!

It's like almost 6 hours south from me! That's a long drive just to get some perch... lol

There are tons of lakes around me. The hardest part of summer fishing was choosing which one to stick my canoe in. I reckon ice fishing will be the same., only with an auger in place of the canoe (unfortunately).

I say that you should buy the pop up shelter. When it's cold and windy, you will be more than happy to have it. Next, buy a long plastic sleigh to haul your stuff. A five foot sleigh will cost less than 20 dollars. I think I paid 14 dollars for mine about 10 years ago and it has seen a lot of mileage. I even haul it behind my snowmobile. I have a manual 8 or 9 inch ice auger. I bought it about 35 years ago and I still have the original blades. I prefer the 8 inch size because I use it for fishing for cod and halibut in the Saguenay river. Buy a second set of blades because if you hit even a couple of grains of sand in the ice, the blades will no longer cut ice. The blades are difficult to sharpen and cost over 20 dollars for a new set. If you do not sharpen your blades yourself after every outing.....forget the manual auger. Most of the time, I use an ice spud that I made myself. The blade is about 2 1/2 inches wide and I keep it sharp. It takes about 5 minutes to cut through 2 feet of ice and make a hole that is about 10 inches in diameter. It's much easier to haul an ice spud than a gas auger or manual auger. The ice spud never breaks down either. An ice spud will also quickly open up holes that have frozen over. A 6 inch diameter hole will freeze up much faster than an 8 or 9 inch hole.

Yes....a heater/cooker is real handy. I use a 5000 btu heater and it's quite cozy in my 2 man shelter. When I mean cozy, that means that I keep my all of my clothes on yet I can loosen my coat and fish with my bare hands if I can warm them in my pockets every once in a while. Very little ice will form in the hole through the ice. A 1 lb propane bottle gives me about 4 hours of heat. I refill my 1 lb bottles myself.

Get the warmest boots you can find and buy them large enough for you to be able to add a a thick insole between the insulated inner felt boot and the sole of the boot. I use size 11 or 12 high snowboots rated for -74F on my size 10 feet. Buy a large sized parka with hood and wear an insulated vest under the parka. Also wear headware with ear flaps. No such thing as wearing too much clothing. Nothing worse than getting cold when ice fishing.

The people who do not like icefishing is due to the fact that they do not dress warmly enough. They are the sort of people who get out of their vehicles at the shopping mall and run to the door and once inside, they complain about how cold it is. When they do try to dress warmly, they still like their clothes to look trendy or sexy.

I doubt very much that you will use snowshoes. I've never needed them unless I went to some small remote lakes.

Edited by Dabluz