It's round, has 2 bearings, and spins real nice!

I'mHooked

Wohoo! Finally took the next big step in my fishing addiction...bought new gear! :thumbsup_anim:

Some may think that after my rather successful 1st time Musky fishing 2 weeks ago, I'd be loading up with some Musky gear. (for those that missed it: http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57904 )

I'm sure John may even be a little disappointed it's not a new St.Croix Legend Tournament Musky rod, but hey, there are other worthy species out there as well. That's where today comes in.

Been getting frustrated the last few years trying to drift on fast moving water with a frozen spinning reel, so here's the new toy:

10272011403.jpg

10272011402.jpg

Was looking at the Sheffield as well as some of the Ravens, but settled on the new Okuma Raw-II.

Looks reel nice (at least I think anyhow), and seems to spin forever.

Now, I'm still only paired with a 10½ foot Pflueger Trion HM45 Graphite light action rod, but it's been serving a purpose the last few years, and it's going to get me broken in on the new 'pin' :clapping:

I'll just have to figure out how to sneak a 13½ footer through the front door one of these days!

Anyone else used this reel yet? Love to hear how it handles.

Now just have to figure out how to use the damn thing!

help edumacate me:

why is the fact that it spins forever or easily so important for float reels?

The longer it spins would mean that it has very little friction which in turn would mean that it would have very little start up inertia. This allows for the float to drift down without resistance leading to a more natural presentation. Or something along those lines :P.

I held this reel in a tackle store and for the money I think you made a wise choice. The start up of a CP is the most important feature , but the Raw ll does have both ,which isn't always the case. I think you will be happy with your purchase and that you will be impressed with pinning after you give it a try.

It holds their attention, Raf. In marketing circles it's called the Fisher-Price feature. :)

Yes, I've been sitting in front of the TV at night going "look honey, this thing spins forever!" with a bit of a glazed eye look!

I held this reel in a tackle store and for the money I think you made a wise choice. The start up of a CP is the most important feature , but the Raw ll does have both ,which isn't always the case. I think you will be happy with your purchase and that you will be impressed with pinning after you give it a try.

I'm hoping to be a lot happier than with cold coily spinner drifting. Was getting a little frustrating.

Sweet reel! Definitely some bling bling going on.

"Bow chica wow wow" :thumbsup_anim:

Im Hooked Im Shocked ... how can someone looking like this buy anything but a winch and a sling blade? Explain in a post with all your musky!!!

Well, there's still Christmas coming! Know any good places to catch Musky? :whistling:

flashy reel, i've been trying to find one but mainly a rawII 80, no luck, all pre-sold out...did you order online? mind sending a pm where you picked it up?

enjoy the new gear, good luck

Didn't order it. Hadn't even seen it before. Walked in to Fishing World to look at Ravens, and decided on this after a little fondling. (The wife just doesn't understand :rolleyes: ) They still had at least one more in stock.

Going to try and hit a rather large, high flowing river in the next week or so.

Do you guys agree with 50 yards of 20# for backing under 8# main line?

Guess who got the first one? LOL

It is a sweet reel.

I did take it out of the box and give it a spin,and yes,it spun for ever. Im waiting for the right match up for it. It should be arriving late spring. ;)

You did sir. First one in Canada anyways. Guess which handsome devil kept the 2nd?

I have more coming in soon, can reserve one if anyone wants. They sold out fast. Can pre-order the Raw II spinning reels as well.

http://www.etackle.ca/new-okuma-raw-ii-float-reel-1002/

Edited by Harrison

I would go with 100 yards of dacron backing and then fill it up with mono,I prefer 10 lb for my mainline.The test of your mainline should be at least 4 lb. heavier than your leader (5or 6lb.). Do the fish a favour and never ever use 2 lb. test unless you intend to keep all your fish. Any fish even after careful reviving will die due to the build up of lactic acid in their system after a couple of days if they were fought to exhaustion on 2 lb. test.Rant over.

Now, I'm still only paired with a 10½ foot Pflueger Trion HM45 Graphite light action rod, but it's been serving a purpose the last few years, and it's going to get me broken in on the new 'pin' :clapping:

I'll just have to figure out how to sneak a 13½ footer through the front door one of these days!

If you're going to use it, then it's worth it. Sell the 10 1/2 to someone who is just starting out, and get yourself a 13 or 13.5 - you won't regret it. ;)

p.-

Decided to bite the bullet and go for broke.

Picked up a 13' St. Croix Avid (AVS130MLM2) Steelhead rod to pair with the new reel. Out in the back yard trying to figure how to use the damn thing...good thing no body was watching! :blush:

Oh I know.

I was trying to spin the reel as I casted it. Didnt work so well. :whistling:

Thank goodness, to a helpful fellow angler.

Edited by Misfish

Oh I know.

I was trying to spin the reel as I casted it. Didnt work so well. :whistling:

Thank goodness, to a helpful fellow angler.

I'm hooked as well as Brian:thumbsup_anim: you'll love it and if your at the river different times like we were some one will give you some advice and after that away you go. Don't be afraid to ask as well.