Dogs and the Fishing Lifestyle

Joey

a cat you can leave alone in the house for a weekend

a dog you must find a place to stick them if you can't take them with you....

a stuffed animal is very self reliant....they don't bark or piss on the rug and you can leave them at home..always...something to think about..

LOL

After losing our beloved cat of 18 years earlier this year, I have been seriously considering getting another family pet. I have the resources and the love to give a pet, and am thinking maybe this time we should get a dog RON (I have owned dogs RONS before).

I am questioning this decision due to our fishing lifestyle and wonder how many of you have dogs and if it affects your fishing lifestyle in a good or bad way?

Do you take your dog RON with you on every trip?

A:I prefer to be taken on every trip

If you do, does he enjoy it, especially in the boat?

A:I enjoy any type of fishing, particularly in the boat!

If not, what do you do with the dog RON when you go?

A:If it were up to me, I would buy him a bottle of Whisky, nothing special, Crown Royal Black would do (the one with the D handle).

Do most hotels/motels allow a dog RON ?

A:So long as you don't tell them my last name, you should be fine.

Do most campsites/cabins allow a dog RON ?

A:See answer above

Any of your experiences, good or bad, would be very helpful in my decision, so thanks in advance.

A:I always said, there is an :asshat: in every crowd, even when I am by myself.

Joey

Hope this helps Joey. Heck, I even like my belly rubbed!

How about a dwarf dog Joey? I'm good with everything on that list plus, I'm small, I don't take up too much room and I clean up my own messes.

Ya, but she will have to train you not to lift yer leg on the coffee table, or drag yer butt on the carpet.

If you take the dog with you everywhere you go, from the time you get it, it will adjust to your lifestyle, no problem.

When I got Wyatt from Harrison, he was NUTS in the boat, and would drive me crazy at times. The more I took him out, the better he got. Now he has his place, and is no trouble at all. I don't think Phil took him fishing at all LOL. I'm sure he was never in a boat before....if he was, it wasn't often enough!! He LOVES it now, and I take him everywhere!!

Dogs will take after thier owner. As long as you spend the time with them, they are happy to go anywhere with you.

S.

My dog & my boat...never leave home without 'em..I'll leave the wife home, but, not the dog!

bassdoze-1.jpg

even on a week vacation to Oneida Lake..I rent places that allow my dog..he likes to fish, too..

dozerwperch.jpg

If my dog can't go...they can shove their cottage up their..

dozenap-1.jpgDSCN0036.jpg

My dog loves to go fishing, and she loves being in the boat. But I always make sure she's wearing a life vest.

A few years back on cooks bay, she jumped over board, and we ran her over. Almost got dinged by the prop.

This was a few minutes before the big jump.

DSC02200.jpg

And this was a few minutes after.. Not a happy dog. Coughed up water the rest of the trip. We bought her a life vest later that week.

DSC02204.jpg

Dogs are great, but they're not for everyone. It can be a bit of a pain when need to find a sitter for them. But well worth of effort in my eyes.

Edited by N.A.W

Well these are a lot of great tips and advice. Love the pictures too. The dogs sure do seem to be lovin it :thumbsup_anim: Well except for yours in the second pic NAW, glad he was okay!!

I have another question then, how do you handle it in the boat then when the weather is cold or hot?

Like what about BOQ fishing in November, ice fishing, or fishing in August when you're camping?

Well these are a lot of great tips and advice. Love the pictures too. The dogs sure do seem to be lovin it :thumbsup_anim: Well except for yours in the second pic NAW, glad he was okay!!

I have another question then, how do you handle it in the boat then when the weather is cold or hot?

Like what about BOQ fishing in November, ice fishing, or fishing in August when you're camping?

My dog doesn't like the cold, and I'm worried she would fall in a hole. So I don't take her ice fishing. As for the heat, there is a nice shady spot in the back of my boat that always stays cool. I throw a towel in there, and she will lay in there for hours, or until I catch a fish.

Size of a dog is really important, atleast it was to me Joey. My kids bugged and bugged to get a dog, and when I finally gave in we decided on a beagle. Lily is small enough to pick up and take anywhere, she hunts rabbits, rarely barks, although she does occationally howl when she is hunting or when she wants something. When she was a pup I made sure she was crate trained. Now she goes everywhere with me! The crate goes in the back of the car, she hops in and off we go. Since she is fairly small and the crate is light I carry her into the office and take her outside to play often. If she stays home I have a kennel outside with a dog house, however we don't often use it. She is never left at home in the house alone.

If you start when they are young and make them a part of everything you do dogs adapt to your lifestyle. She has been such a wonderful addition to our family, and honestly I love having her with me all the time.

Good points Jen. I am very lucky and live only 6 kms from work. I come home for lunch every day so that is a plus, and my boss would have no problem with me taking the dog to work either. We had another co-worker who brought his to work every day while he was a puppy.

Well you've all almost got me talked into it :thumbsup_anim:

:)

If you start them early, dogs can adapt to anything!

Gee, how bout dogs that ride on motorcycles, and service dogs that do it all.

I think that a mid sized dog would make things easier, but that is a personal decision.

So far in my experience, traveling with dogs, it's no problem. If possible ,just call ahead and most motels have rooms set aside for those traveling with their pets :)

Think it over and best of luck!

There is no love like that given by a dog :)

BTW....I can't wait to see your baby pictures ;)

Edited by Jewelbee

a stuffed animal is very self reliant....they don't bark or piss on the rug and you can leave them at home..always...something to think about..

LOL

LOL!

LOL

Cat Lover!.. :tease: LOL!

Edited by Jewelbee

I(n the hot summer, a dog will find a shady spot to hide. However, peanut does have a PFD and she would go for a swim during our outings. Small dogs may swim, but they can't stay afloat forever.

In colder weather, peanut has a coat. We are going to take her for a few ice fishing trips this year.

My big old guy, Bear, used to love riding in the boat:

2006_0409Image0057.JPG

This was one of his last trips when he was 13:

2010_0415pictures0003.JPG

I don't seem to have any pics of Moosy in the boat, but she loves it as well. Here is one out ice-fishing, give her a ball and she's entertained for hours:

DSCF3684.JPG

What I found with my dogs and fishing, is that they were much better behaved in the boat when I was out alone with them. With a partner in the boat, they seemed much more impatient.

My dog & my boat...never leave home without 'em..I'll leave the wife home, but, not the dog!

:lol:

Surprised I don't see a picture of your new pooch yet Joey. (Sorry Paul) If it wasn't for my work hours and commuting I'd have a dog. As for the the days on the water, a dog would be great company. (Joe and Cliff get on my nerves and they just never shut up....:tease:

:lol: ) Watch the hooks, a couple of trips to shore through out the day for a bathroom break I would guess (might make the Lake Ontario and Quinte trips shorter :dunno:), keep them comfortable, a friend for life, just like Joe and Cliff.

Riley liked to come with me icefishing but was not too keen on going in the "Tin of Beans"...didn't like the vibrations from the motor...

I would bring his "blankie" for him to curl up on in the box...

Edited by Beans

I have 2 large dogs and they can be quite a handful while camping or fishing with the kids. Back in the day before the kids they would have been no problem, but now we usually get a dog sitter for fishing trips or they stay at the cottage. I love my dogs regardless and would love to take them everywhere but it's not possible a lot these days. For week long vacations they always come though.

I don't see any problems with hotels or campsites.

I can see you guys being very happy with a new fishing partner.

223504_22011580104_746020104_500690_734_n.jpg

302433_10150871336265105_746020104_21072603_1879093062_n.jpg

How tolerant the dog will be to heat/cold really depends on the kind of dog you get. Regardless, for ice fishing, one of these can go a long way:foam_floor_mats_eva_floor_mats_interlocking.jpg