2011 brook trout season

Guidofisherman

I am finally getting around to tabulating my 2011 Brook Trout season. For me, it was a shortened season, both spring and fall, but my most productive ever. Despite the low water conditions and higher than usual water temps, I tagged and released over 80. This data has been forwarded to the MNR as part of their on-going study through “The Co-operative Angler Program”. In 2002 the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources formed a Brook Trout Committee to explore options for rehabilitating native brook trout stocks in Lake Superior, Lake Nipigon, the Nipigon River, and the lower reaches of their tributaries. The regs were changed in 2005 to a one fish limit over 22” and a review of the status of the Nipigon Brook Trout took place after a 5 year period. That report will be finalized this fall. I’ll share a summary when the biologists release it.

From my perspective only, based on the past 8 years tagging, the population seems to be stable, but susceptible if precautions are not maintained. This year’s data shows the weight and length of fish as average. While I didn’t catch any real big ones by Nipigon standards (28% in the 4-6 lb. range), almost one third were recaptures indicating that careful “catch and release” tactics work. Here are a few photos from this year. Enjoy!

http://members.shaw.ca/amuir/catchcharts.html

DSC_5339-Version2-1.jpg

untitled1-1.jpg

untitled75.jpg

untitled89-1.jpg

untitled12.jpg

untitled.jpg

Al, you're a fella who spends more time than anyone plying (and camping out on) those waters for those fish. AND, you also have several years in now fishing under the new management plan and contributing to the data that helps justify it's worth. AND AND AND, you're an educated man who I know full well studies the Nipigon fish and fishery's past, present and future. So... firstly, kudos to that dood! Great work, photos and life you have Al. I will take the job when I semi-retire at 47. :w00t: And secondly... my question...

Is there less or more angler traffic with each passing year? If more, what do you feel about it's impact on the quality of the fishery?

From my limited perspective... each year has been equal or better than the last, but seemingly pushing harder (or just learning more with each visit) to catch the same quantity of fish is necessary. Quality... well, only someone from Nipigon who fishes only those speckles, could ever complain. B)

Great shots and next year I think I will too get one on the fly gear. :good:

Fantastic photos Al. I did get out a few more times that last year, but just seemed to hit the wrong days more often than not. I had 13 and 15 fish days in May and early June, but there were lots of smaller fish in those numbers. My late summer fishing resulted in "you shoulda stayed one more day"! You know how that that works.

Haven't forgot about that old vhs tape that I told you about. I'll dig it out and surprise you with it one of these days. I'm pretty much spending the winter in either Red Lake or Dryden though, so it might be later rather than sooner.

I'll try to answer the questions raised with my personal observation and the data I have from the MNR Angler Surveys.

Is there less or more angler traffic with each passing year and what is the impact?

Angler traffic took a significant jump in the early 90s to a peak in 2003. For the past 5 years, the rod hours have lowered slightly and leveled off, however, at peak times of the season, there are more anglers. Annual fluctuations in the number of anglers seems more dependent on weather, water temps and flow. I have noticed an increase in the number of injured fish, mostly torn or missing maxillary lip plates, probably due to "horsing" in these fish.

The catch rate for both river and the lake has risen since 2005, but has never reached the MNR angling quality objective of "1 brook trout of any size for every 2 hours of fishing & 1 brook trout larger than 22'' for every 8 hours of fishing" except for the lake. Lake fish tend to be a little longer but not heavier than their river relatives. The one thing I have noticed and confirmed by MNR stats is the Brook Trout harvest is down significantly from the early 90s. More fishermen are practicing "C&R".

As for more and bigger fish since the reg change? I have caught more fish each year but it may be just getting better at it. I don't have MNR numbers on that other than the fact that the population remains stable but well below the goal of returning the fish population to the levels of the 1930s. Also, I found that the size (length) of the annual fish population fluctuates on about a 4 year cycle reflecting growth rates. The bottom line is that it is a relatively small and fragile population in Lake Nipigon, Nipigon River and Nipigon Bay (Coasters) compared to historic figures for the 30s. We need to continue monitoring the populations, practicing good fishing techniques and study the life history of this fish species if it is to survive.

Alan

untitled1-2.jpg

Some familiar background in those pics there Guido,It was nice to see you guys out there in the bay last week of august.Definately lots of trophy brookies caught that week although the weather and temp were way to nice and it kept the numbers down. Would love to bring the fly or float setup next time and hook into one of those brutes. Although we didn't see any "damaged" brookies we did see quite a few hookup injuries on the northerns which leads me to believe maybe the fishing pressure is greater on them. Although we did see a drop this year in numbers of fish caught,the quality was way up. We never caught one under 3lbs and broke the 6lb mark on a few occassions. All reaseased healthy.I have never fished barbless before Nipigon but after only dropping one fish all week I am converted. I now almost exclusively pinch the barb as we all should.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. if you are still wondering who we are,we were the guys camping on the point across from the launch and we chatted you guys up at the mouth of the river by the lodge...cheers

Edited by sirfish

Hey Guido, great fish and pictures. I'm not an experienced brookie fisherman, but while catching a few up in the Albany River watershed, we noticed they weren't releasing very well (ie swam away slowly, sank down and had trouble keeping up-right). Is this common and do the larger fish have a good catch and release survival rats in your opinion? We stopped fishing early because we didn't like the way they were recovering.

thanks

Chris

I've been hesitating to open your post as I figured I'd be battling serious brook trout envy.

I was right. :lol:

Beautiful fish Al, congrat's on a great season.

Hey Guido, great fish and pictures. I'm not an experienced brookie fisherman, but while catching a few up in the Albany River watershed, we noticed they weren't releasing very well (ie swam away slowly, sank down and had trouble keeping up-right). Is this common and do the larger fish have a good catch and release survival rats in your opinion? We stopped fishing early because we didn't like the way they were recovering.

thanks

Chris

Chris water temps are the critical factor. I've caught many myself in the Albany and with several notable coldwater tributaries aside, the water temps once you get past early June are quite high up there.

The fish are restricted to spring holes or extremely turbulent fast water.

When captured they quickly become stressed in the warmer temps.

The system that Al fishes is perpetually cold. If handled properly I highly doubt there's any issues with stressing the fish or delayed mortality.

I have kept stats on the recapture rate for my own interest and to track the repeats. In certain " high pressure" areas, the recapture rate average is 20%. This varies with each season and the average size for each season. Generally, the bigger fish tend to have a higher recapture rate and fewer smaller fish are recaptured. Possibly the larger fish can tolerate the return better? Solopaddler is right, water temp is a significant factor in their release. Over the years, I have also found that once the water temp gets to 60, these fish struggle when released, so that is when I quit fishing for them because reviving takes a long time. Also, if I see a fish is struggling after a good battle, I don't tag it but let it go. This is about 10% of the fish.

Fishing3879.jpg