Crushing Chrome - Saturday Was on Fire!

Aaron Shirley

I was unsure how Saturday would be with all the rain and higher stained water, but Tony and I gave it a shot anyway. I haven't been fishing a lot lately, as I've been spending time with my family since the addition of a baby girl this summer. So when I do get out, I try and make the most of it and pick my days. Unfortunately, it is rare when I can time the creeks just right to capitalize on a hot bite, as I work long hours from Mon-Fri, then have family obligations at least one day on the weekend. Fortunately, we hit it right on Saturday and after moving around to a few creeks, Tony and I put it all together and had an amazing day crushing steelies under the float :)

I tied up giant brown egg roe bags in pink, chartreuse and peach, while Tony tied up bow skein bags in similar colours. It didn't seem to matter much to the fresh run of chrome, they were crushing our baits and fought like stink! I really needed a day out like this. We hooked over 50 steelies and landed most of them. No tanks, but we got a couple good ones in the 10lb class.

The tributaries definitely got good runs of fresh steelhead after all the rain we had, so get out and enjoy the fishing!

We didn't take a lot of photos as my camera died in the morning and we didn't take pics of all the smaller fish. Enjoy the ones we did take.

I got one fish on the beach first thing in the morning trying out something new, then we headed up river to where the bulk of fish were :)

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_01.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_02.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_03.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_04.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_05.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_06.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_07.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_08.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_09.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_10.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_11.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_12.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_13.jpg

Trib_Chrome_10-2011_14.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

A great day for sure! Highlights were Aaron catching a fish not on purpose when his roe bag was dangling in the shallow water at his feet and a suicidal trout grabbed it and headed for the lake laugh.gif , a double-header and the sheer quantity of fish that we both hooked and dropped in addition to the ones that made it to the bank...they were fresh and feisty indeed!

Here's another pic off my berry.

img2011102200324.jpg

Looking forward to when hunting season opens and there are even fewer anglers, then sub-zero temps to thin the herds further ;)

Ya that's nice an all.......but

WHERE IS THE MUSKIE???

Ha ha ha

Some good Steelies ya guys got there.

Cheers, Ron...

wah...

thanks

Yep, BillM is bang on. I mostly use Spawn Net and pack as many eggs as I can into the mesh, typically about loonie sized bags. If I suspect the water will be really dirty and I just HAVE to fish, I'll use brightly coloured Red Wing scarf material and even go bigger. I'll use larger hooks and heavier pound test in dirty water. Also, expensive fluoro leader isn't needed in stained water.

Wow, I'm jealous(no luck latelywallbash.gif)

What sort of setup did you use for lake fishing? The usual float setup or plunking on the bottom with a big sinker? Wouldn't a float just drift ashore with the wind and waves?

Thx

We just used the float set-up in the current at the mouth of the creek, although it got rough quickly and it was too cumbersome to float against the waves. I've done well at river and creek mouths and piers casting spoons, spinners, rattlin raps, minnow baits, drifting roe or nightcrawlers (real worms in the spring), and I've caught fish with slip sinker rigs and roe bags with floaters as well.

Typically this time of year until the spring is prime for floating roe or artificials in the creeks, but there are usually fish around the mouth as well, expanding opportunities and techniques. It's always a blast having a fresh chrome bullet smash a hard bait :thumbsup_anim: