ice fishing line question

peter23

i know its a little early to be asking questions about ice fishing but i have a question about line choice. im going to be targeting lakers and whities alot this year and wanted to consider using braid. has anyone used braid ice fishing for them before?does it affect how they bite?and if you think i should are there any suggestions of what brand of line i should get and what pound test?

thanks

I really like using braids

if fishing outside it has been known to freeze on the spool

otherwise you feel everything

I do put about 10ft of mono on the between the braid and lure that gives it a little more stretch as the fish gets close to the hole

I started using the Sufix ice braid last year and I really like it. I like the Hi-vis orange, makes it easy to find your line on the ice. It does ice up a bit more than mono but it's worth it for the increase in sensitivity.

I tie on a fluorocarbon leader. 18" to 5 feet depending on depth and water clarity.

I fish Simcoe for lakers and whities and I'm usually fishing in a portable hut. On my rods I use 10 and 15lb red power pro braid along with an 8lb, 5' long seaguar leader. On my sticks I use 17lb mono along with the previously mentioned leader. I've never had any problems with these set-ups and I ice fish in the deep water from ice-in to ice-out.

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by ckrb2007

gotta admit I am thinking about ice fishing as well ...

I use 8-10 lb braided line with a fluoro leader when fishing for lakers and whities on my reels, old school tip ups straight mono for the spreader

yes there is some freeze up on the braid but it has not negatively affected the fishing

If you use braid in the winter stay away from using your hands to bring in a fish.

It will cut your hand in the blink of an eye on a suprise run.

It hapened to me 4yrs ago and I wont use it nor recomend it for people that dont use rod and reel.

Personaly I dont feel that braided is more sensitive if any thing it is more unforgiving with respect to ice fishing. I want the line to stretch because the excitement of a hit causes most people to set the hook as if they were holding a 10ft fly rod.They pull the hook out.

I like to use a 8 pound mono lead (5ft)and 12-17 mono line. Fishing for lakers and whities on Lady SIMCOE. :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck.

tight lines and cold hands :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by saltydawg

i know its a little early to be asking questions about ice fishing but i have a question about line choice. im going to be targeting lakers and whities alot this year and wanted to consider using braid. has anyone used braid ice fishing for them before?does it affect how they bite?and if you think i should are there any suggestions of what brand of line i should get and what pound test?

thanks

Not early at all. I took these pics on Sunday. :thumbsup_anim:

Kluane3.jpg

Kluane2.jpg

Kluane1.jpg

I use nothing but braid on my laker and whitefish rods. 15 and 20 pound Power Pro and run about 10' of mono or flouro leader material connected via a double uni knot. I have found it really helps in detecting very subtle hits when the fish are inactive. I've had fish hit lighter than whitefish that I would never had known were there if I had been using mono.

It does tend to freeze up on the spool but it is not really an issue (you just need to strip line by hand when lowering your lure back down). It doesn't cause issues with lost fish because of this, it's just a minor inconvenience that I feel is offset by the better strike detection.

I can't wait til next month for some early ice action!!!! :clapping::clapping:

I use braid for almost everything. And almost always fish outdoors. Rarely in a hut. I love it. Never going back to Mono. You can't beat the sensitivity of braid. 8lb Fireline Micro-Ice.

Edited by N.A.W

I use Fireline and PP Ice on my "deep water" rods. Really like the superlines for this. I don't have a hut and do get ice build up when it's cold out. I haven't found a line yet that doesn't end up getting ice formation on it. I even used line conditioner last season, it may have helped but did not prevent ice formation. As mentioned, it's more of a nuisance than anything else - far worse on the rod guides than the line though.

If you have a hut, it's not a problem at all (well, at last not where I fish - maybe in Yellowknife!).

Larger diameter guides will reduce any major ice build ups while using braided line.

I've actually switched my ice lines back to mono just this year, as I found the braid absorbed too much water/ice and caused several incidents where the line completely froze to the spool or large ice beads would form at the water contact point, then get caught in the guides or the spool. I prefer braid in general, but during the winter I'm not a fan of it.

If you fish outside a shack... I'd have to say use mono...

I use fireline crystal or clear mono...

But that's inside a shack...always...

Totally agree with this one. I basically use the same lines I do trout fishing in the winter when fishing outside a hut.

Mono!

sensitivity ... heavier/braid lines transmit hits better

abrasion resistant ..the heavier the less likely to break from rubbing on the ice

heavier line doesn't twist up as easy

then the lighter line at the end is more flexible so a more natural movement of the lure

thinner...harder to see

and the light mono has more give as you get close to the hole with the fish so not as likely to get off

Do you use a fluoro leader? Also, why so light?

I can't break 6lb Fireline with my hands, I think it's good enough for Simcoe whities and lakers. Hell, my pier setup uses 6lb Fireline and I've had no problem with 30+lb Lake O chinooks.

As for a leader, its usually 4-6lb Drennan. If someone has a good reason for me to go heavier, I'm all ears.

Im confussed (again) LOL

Why do people use 20LB main line, then run an 8LB leader?

The leader is the maximum LB test of your entire line.

So why not just run 8LB line? :dunno:

When you fish by hand(no rod or reel) at 40-110 ft the heavy line is much less prone to damage or tangles when you have 90ft of line under your feet you need the heavy line.

The leader I think is a no brainer? :tease: