Looking for plans for an ice hut

Big Cliff

Ok, I have decided to build an ice hut for this winter but I am having a hard time to find plans for one that would fit my needs.

Here is an idea of what I would like to build:

4 man (comfortably)

I don't intend to move it around a lot but it must be light enough for me to move by myself if necessary (I have an ATV so I can tow it) I do have a portable for those days I do want to move around a lot.

It needs to have some sort of a heat source, a Coleman camp stove would probably be my choice so I can cook on it but any ideas would be appreciated.

I don't want one of these "wood canvis" type things that fold down, I want to be able to drag it to where I want to fish and be able to walk in the door and have everything there and ready to go. It will probably be set up within half a mile of my house for most of the winter.

I have found some plans on line but anything that looks good want you to buy the plans, (money is tight right now so I need to keep the cost down)

So, any help would be appreciated! Oh and if anyone has a source for those aluminum printing sheets, that would be my covering of choice so please let me know.

Thanks!

I've got this Coleman Blackcat heater sitting here collecting dust Cliff and your welcome to it if it's any use to you for the hut.

You just need to attach a 1 lb. propane bottle and it's good to go.

It's great for a tent on cold fall nights but don't know how it'd work on frigid winter outtings, but if your hut is gonna be insulated it should be OK. :canadian:

Anyways, it's yours if you want it.

005-1.jpg

Here's the only one I found Cliff...Someone bought plans and scanned them for people to see for free...

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b674356b9fe71d086b21be4093fab7ac8d34602edb3b4a33a2d0568e5b24962e

Here's a step by step one someone posted on another board...

http://www.blfga.org/blfga/shanty/shanti.html

One more...

http://www.ontariooutofdoors.com/getPDF.cfm?ID=Dewalt-Ice_Hut

Edited by ccmt

You don't need plans. A floor, 4 walls and a simple sloping roof is all you need. However, a 4 man hut is quite a large thing. Are you sure that you will be 4 fishermen most of the time? For 4 fishermen....you will need at least a floor of 8' x 8' but to be comfortable, maybe 10 x 8 would be better.

With a sloping roof, make sure that you make the floor a bit smaller so that the panels for the roof overlap the edges of the wall a tiny bit so an 8 x 8 hut will actually have a floor more along the lines of 7 x 8.

To reduce the overall weight, do not make the hut too tall.

The floor supports should be made of 4" x 4" while the walls can be made with 3" x 3".

The wall and roof panels are usually made from 3/8 inch pressed wood chips. Paint the outside....starting out with a first coat of paint having quite a bit of thinner added to it in order to soak the pressed wood chips.

For heating, a propane heater like a Martin will do fine but we're talking about a heater that may cost around 150 dollars. Or, you can even make your own stove out of a metal container and 3 or 4 inch stove pipe. Add a good layer of sand to the bottom of the container. If you shop around, I'm sure you can find a small cast iron stove for around 50 dollars.

Use leftover panelling to make a fold-down table.

I forgot the runners. The fastest and lightest way is to use 2 lengths of 2" x 6" planks that are also used as floor supports. The ends of the planks are rounded off and you add a strip of 3/8 inch thick teflon to make it easy to slide the hut across the ice.

The trick to making a good hut is to build an awesome sleigh (floor), then add walls and a roof.

I don't have pics of ours here cliff, but its 8x10, very comfy for 4 guys, and I can move it with one hand myself. Floor is 2x4 joists, with a 2x10 outside runner, then a 2x6 screwed to that to make it a double, and it also supports the floor joists. We put 5/8 PT T&G floor ply on that. Its solid, and pricey, but its lasted us 12 years so far, so I can't complain.

The walls are just 2x2's, with styrofoam insulation, then comvered in Tyvek to keep any drafts out. Printers tin on the outside.

We heat it with a Mr. Buddy heater, but we used to have a small wood stove in there. The wood stove was a lot warmer, and kinda nice, but the Mr.Buddy does the job, and is more convenient.

We built the walls 5ft high, then peaked the roof up from there. There is just enough room for me to stand in the center, but when I'm sitting on the benches, there is lots of room above my head for hooksets LOL

We've had 13 adults in it all at once.....one time LOL. It was jammed full, but we were all in there. 4 guys and gear is no problem, plenty of room. CPH has been out to it a couple times, as well as Buckster. Its a great rig!!

S.

Cliff,

From what I have seen for the walls and roof is solid core underlayment with Styrofoam insulation glued to that on the inside....warm as hell...it's a bit more money but MUCH lighter and water resistant.

It the sled part that Sinker and others here have posted about that needs a lot of attention.....or use cement like Beans said... :rofl2:

Since your right there I would design the hut so I if need be I could add comfort things after it was set up on safe ice.

Now about these propane heaters without a vent....are they "SAFE"....if so that's the way to go....all huts I have ever rented were vented.

I wish I lived closer....I would love to give you a hand.

Good Luck Building,

http://www.halexcorp.com/halex_underlayment_4.shtml

Wow, a lot of great ideas and plans, thank you all so much! Looks like I will be taking ideas from a couple of them and trying to combine those to make the perfect 4 man hut! (and no Beans, it won't have a cement floor!!!!!) :rolleyes:

Billy Bob, I wish you were closer too, I can use all the help I can get!

About the propane heaters, they are nice when it comes to convenience, but, they give off a lot of moisture. I had one in a permanent hut, worked well except for the frost coated walls and roof. The floor vents were covered, so it's not coming up from the floor. A small wood burner is much nicer for dry heat, sure there's the ashes to deal with once in a while. But at least you're not getting dripped on.

About the propane heaters, they are nice when it comes to convenience, but, they give off a lot of moisture. I had one in a permanent hut, worked well except for the frost coated walls and roof. The floor vents were covered, so it's not coming up from the floor. A small wood burner is much nicer for dry heat, sure there's the ashes to deal with once in a while. But at least you're not getting dripped on.

Would some venting near the top of the hut prevent that problem?

2x4 base, and can go 2x3 walls on 2' centres, or 2x2 on 16's. I used coroplast panels for the roof, which worked well but the sun ate them up in about 4 years. I then got two large used aluminum sign panels for the roof. I made up runners from 2x8's and old arena boards ripped for sliders. Make sure you insulate the walls and roof, and if you really want to stay warm, get some of those 2' square foam jigsaw type pieces for the floor. Part of the fun is scrounging up the materials, so look around.

If you're going to use tip-ups outside the hut, make sure your windows are at a height you can see out when seated.

Edited by spooner_jr

Cliff, Check out the huts on kijiji (check all over Ontario). It will give you lots of ideas. If you can buy one that is 6x8 or 8x8 for a good price jump on it. You can make all the modifications you want to it but will still save you m oney and time.

My buddy just bought one for $75. It is 8x10 and he is putting a new floor, new roof, more windows and better door on it. It already had a woodstove in it. He figures he will be about $200 for the finished hut.

I got a steal on mine and I paid $600 for my 8x10 (see the pics in Nipissing GTG thread). If he can do it for under $300 it will be amazing.

Would some venting near the top of the hut prevent that problem?

I had 2 vents,about 4" x 8", one at each tip of the gable end of the roof, even with both open there was always some frost. Went I went outside to water the lake, it looked like a steam jet comeing out of the roof. Guys with the wood burners never had that problem.

I had 2 vents,about 4" x 8", one at each tip of the gable end of the roof, even with both open there was always some frost. Went I went outside to water the lake, it looked like a steam jet comeing out of the roof. Guys with the wood burners never had that problem.

Thanks, that is something I hadn't thought of, the idea of the windows being low enough is a good one too!

I'll check out Kijiji too, I did have a hut a few years ago before you could ice fish here but gave it away. :whistling:

Keep the ideas coming, this could end up being the perfect hut!