Some PIN help and a wee report

misfish

To warm for sitting in a stand so,I got out to the river again this morning,and this time decided to make the mile and a bit trec .Nice crisp morning, pushed a few deer,but sure was alittle sweaty when I got there.Making your own path through 5 ft of high weeds is always fun.LOL

When I got to the hole,to my surprise this huge steelie is jumping around. :dunno: Guess he was happy to see me so we could play.LOL

I drifted small 2-3 egg sacks for about an hour or so,then switched up to a pink worm.The fish were there,they were moving pretty good in this pool. Three drifts and wack,a small steel couple of jumps and off. Think he just had the tail or the worm. Lost my worm none the less. Grab a bag from the pouch,it,s the orange ones. Oh well,give it a try too. dozen or so drifts and thump and here we go.Rod takes a major bend,Im trying to let the rod do the work,allow the reel to spool abit. Come up and out,it,s a huge steelie,15 or so.Makes another dive and I dont give the reel enough relief pressure. Snap,right at the swivel. Oh well,I had a blast getting my first two fall fish on.

So you experince guys please help me with what I should or shouldnt be doing with big fish on a pin.

Oh ya,going back there in the morning again. :good:

You should be able to land big fish with your pin. Let the rod do most of the work for you by keeping the rod tip high and do not apply too much pressure on the spool. If you take your time it shouldn't take too long to land your fish. Be sure to use sharp hooks, and a decent brand of leader line like Drennan or Froghair and you will be fine. Best of luck!

Every two or 3 drifts and definately after every hit ya got to check your leader. 6lb is plenty, let the rod do the work, don't horse em too much. Quality leaders are the key, froghair, raven, dairikki. Hope this helps a bit.

DAN

Your already on the right track by going out again in the AM!! After 20+years fishing with a pin I still lose my share of fish.

The more fish you get into the quicker you'll learn what technique is right for you in order to horse those big girls in.

Your long walk sounds familiar whistling.giflol and if it is where iI think its I am surprised you don' bring a machete.

R

When I made this reply to Brian it was just in response to an inside joke between us.

Glad it,s funny to you Lew. :whistling::rofl2:

Your long walk sounds familiar lol and if it is where iI think its I am surprised you don' bring a machete.

What,make a path for others? NOT. :good:

Quality leaders are the key

I,m using Dragon Fly. I also have Maxima.Also other floro leader material.

They always look huge when they break off Brian.

:glare::D

Edited by Misfish

Brian, in that river with it's tinge 4lb Maxima Ultragreen is all you'll ever need. Even bump it up to 6lb if you want. If the fish wants to run, let it run.. You aren't going to turn a fish this early in the season. I had a 3lbr the other day that had my GL3 bent over like you wouldn't believe.

Fall fishing at it's best!!!!

Brian, in that river with it's tinge 4lb Maxima Ultragreen is all you'll ever need. Even bump it up to 6lb if you want. If the fish wants to run, let it run.. You aren't going to turn a fish this early in the season. I had a 3lbr the other day that had my GL3 bent over like you wouldn't believe.

Fall fishing at it's best!!!!

I hear ya on that Bill. That was my first thought to myself.These fish are much more athletic then the spring ones. It was , set and zoom,out they come. :w00t:

hear the deer were everywhere today

Once the corn comes down bud,I,ll be out there.

I want the cold temps to get here.

Edited by Misfish

Hey Brian, did the line or the swivel break?

I came across a bad batch of over priced swivels last spring.

The line Vin,just below the swivel.I use raven swivels. Im sure it was me putting to much pressure on the fish. Still a newbie at this.

I went 3/3 though :P

I know yer ole man,So stiffle. :P:lol:

I hope to do better in the morning.

And it is a great satisfaction to walk and find no one else there.BONUS.

Sounds to me as though you don't need any advice.

Experience is the greatest teacher, and you seem to be doing fine.

Thanks Mike. It,s not like Im new to the river,just the tools.

Edited by Misfish