Tip up with Rod/Reel

BucktownAngler

This has been discussed before and if I remember correctly they are legal in Ontario, no different than a rod set in a downrigger.

But to answer the question, I've never tried one.

must be a kind of loop hole....

cause it is illigal to...

• Possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30 m (98 ft.) of any waters. A spring gaff includes any spring loaded device which sets the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a gaff, snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff, may be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means.

this is why i havent bought any...

Edited by Musky Mike

must be a kind of loop hole....

cause it is illigal to...

• Possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30 m (98 ft.) of any waters. A spring gaff includes any spring loaded device which sets the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a gaff, snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff, may be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means.

this is why i havent bought any...

I'm aware of the regs Mike but this is not a "spring gaff," this set up is merely a rod bent over in a release, like a down rigger or side planer, no springs involved just a bent rod in a release mechanism.

Never used one, but they've been around a while. The Simcoe board seemed spammed with respect to the Slammer by a couple of users last season, so I'd imagine you can find them in the tackle shops in that area.

Are you referring to the old "Quickdraw". There was quite the heated discussion on the Simcoe board about this last year. I wouldn't use it myself, but thats just my opinion.

Cheers

Edited by motion

Never used one, but they've been around a while. The Simcoe board seemed spammed with respect to the Slammer by a couple of users last season, so I'd imagine you can find them in the tackle shops in that area.

is that what those 2 morons were talking about..... the Quickdraw piece of garbage

Edited by Terry

Are you referring to the old "Quickdraw". There was quite the heated discussion on the Simcoe board about this last year. I wouldn't use it myself, but thats just my opinion.

Cheers

Woops, my mistake. Yes, I mixed up the Slammer with the Quickdraw.

Lots of guys use them on Nipissing. I stick with the door-stopper spring tip up that way I dont have to get out of my warm hut if I know it is just a dink perch playing with my minnow. Once those automatic doo-dads are set off you have to go reset them.