Fishing Definitions

Lungelarry

After seeing many posts about monsters,giants and even behemoths, I think internet message boards needs a standard set of words to describ big fish. I know to everbody its different and one guys trophy is anothers dink, but come on,certain words should only be used IF it truly is a behemoth.I don,t mine if in your topic title you write,monster for this lake,but don,t put monster and its only a 48 in. muskie,cause its not even near being a monster.Certain words are being tossed around much too easily these days. My rant for today :blahblah1:

ah....beauty is in the eye of the beholder

if you fish an area where a 40" fish is a monster

who am I to burst his bubble...

if it's a monster to the guy posting great

if it's a small fish to you well good for you , pointing it out seems like an arrogance to me..but that's just me

I got an 8 pound large mouth from the Kawarthas a few years back and for this area that really is an outstanding fish, even to a serious bass angler...which I'm not.

Many would have called it a monster, a giant or even a behemoth.

A tournament bass guy from southern Florida or Mexico would have called it a ho-hum fish and not given it a 2nd look.

Lotsa variables when describing a fish.

if it's a small fish to you well good for you , pointing it out seems like an arrogance to me..but that's just me

You pulled the words right out of my mouth Terry. Well said.

If it's a monster to the guy who catches the fish, let him feel as good as he does. If you don't think its a monster, pass by the topic and move on.

We have to remember that no everyone has the opportunity to fish certain bodies of water where others are more privileged. Not everyone gets to fish x amount of hours.

I don't know why this would bother anyone. There are far better things on the winternet to complain about :mellow:

It depends on who is saying it and where they are saying it.

A 16" bass is caught

-if a little kid is saying I caught a HUUUUGGGGEE bass I will agree with them and tell them.

-if a guy that rarely fishes and is not a known jerk then it is pretty big or big for this lake.

-if a blowhard says it then I either say nothing or laugh a little and shake my head or say it out right OR say it is big for this lake.

On the same topic when the walleye are on fire and the guys say they boated a tremendous 30 walleye. How does this compare to Limeangler's hauls? Does it make 30 a lesser number? Anyone going to say "my buddy caught 150 in less time?"

I have a 18lb Pickerel on the wall.What class would this fall into when I have caught alot of double digit Pickerel.

Or is just a trophy fish since I still have a chance of catching a bigger one.

I also believe in the eye of the beholder.

ART IS ONLY A BOYS NAME!

After seeing many posts about monsters,giants and even behemoths, I think internet message boards needs a standard set of words to describ big fish. I know to everbody its different and one guys trophy is anothers dink, but come on,certain words should only be used IF it truly is a behemoth.I don,t mine if in your topic title you write,monster for this lake,but don,t put monster and its only a 48 in. muskie,cause its not even near being a monster.Certain words are being tossed around much too easily these days. My rant for today blahblah1.gif

x2

A 16" bass is caught

-if a little kid is saying I caught a HUUUUGGGGEE bass I will agree with them and tell them.

-if a guy that rarely fishes and is not a known jerk then it is pretty big or big for this lake.

-if a blowhard says it then I either say nothing or laugh a little and shake my head or say it out right OR say it is big for this lake.

On the same topic when the walleye are on fire and the guys say they boated a tremendous 30 walleye. How does this compare to Limeangler's hauls? Does it make 30 a lesser number? Anyone going to say "my buddy caught 150 in less time?"

good.gif

I caught my first Musky this year, and compared to some, it was small, but to me, it seemed like a huge toothy beast.I'm not sure, buy i think i used the word MONSTER in my thread. If it bothers someone to see the words Monster, behemoth, Pig, gigantic,used for so called mediocre fish, then maybe they aren"t enjoying the fishing as much as the competition.

A 16" bass is caught

There are usualy quantity or quality...

Up north... Usualy quantity... So when guys like limy post about bigger then average walleye... Good for him...

I get walleye over 5lbs almost every time out... And small ones for me are 2lbs... So when someone like me posts about good numbers... Good for me...

The biggest thing is YouTube... Those titles are misleading... At least on the forum you can compare to the posters previous posts

After seeing many posts about monsters,giants and even behemoths, I think internet message boards needs a standard set of words to describ big fish. I know to everbody its different and one guys trophy is anothers dink, but come on,certain words should only be used IF it truly is a behemoth.I don,t mine if in your topic title you write,monster for this lake,but don,t put monster and its only a 48 in. muskie,cause its not even near being a monster.Certain words are being tossed around much too easily these days. My rant for today :blahblah1:

I believe this is called raining on someone's parade

Terry, you said it beautifully!

Keep your hooks sharp!

Edited by monsterfish

Since we're fishermen (and women) there is one simple rule; If there are no pictures and no witnesses (or at least no witnesses who are willing to tell the truth) then they are monsters, if there are pictures or witnesses then they could be either monsters or dinks. In my case they are usually monsters (I often fish alone without a camera). :whistling:

Strange post...maybe. But with all the millions of words we have,why describe small and medium fish with the words that mean the biggest. Also I don,t mind if your TOPIC Title says" big to me" or "big for this lake",thats fine, but to say in your TOPIC TITLE monster,superdupper, than thats a lie and you wasted my time. Also what happens when one of you guys caught a REAL MONSTER,all the words have been used up,you will have to say you caught a SUPERDUPPER,whiter than white epic awsome fish...........and I would never ,ever poop on a childs ccatch,they are always great fish......you guys are adults

I am going to take a guess at where this is coming from. This is not a bass, trout, walleye or even pike guy. This is a Musky guy.

They are almost the biggest and almost the meanest fish around here and since they are only share the top of their food chain there are not too many (oh those pesky Pike). When someone catches a decent sized musky when they are casual fisherman that usually catches other fish of course they are going to be excited and say it is huge because it is compared to the other fish they have caught.

I am not sure what the tarpon and marlin guys say about Musky. Maybe they say I had tarpon snap off many 1000lb rated hooks/line this season you call that 55lber a monster???<_<

:whistling:

It comes with the territory....your stuck with it and the youtube juveniles "must see" videos.

Well i guess if this site was full of "PROS" , then half the fish caught here would never make it to post.We are AMATEUR sport anglers who enjoy the catch, not the competition.To me, a 13 inch perch is HUGE ! and a 42 inch Musky is a MONSTER!!! Maybe you dont think so, but I DO.

I think someone is just a bit crankylaugh.giftongue.gif

I believe this is called raining on someone's parade

Terry, you said it beautifully!

Keep your hooks sharp!

Dude, you need to change your avatar. Got anything bigger to put up? Wait a minute, how about your MONSTER Muskie you caught, seriously!

september232011newpersonalbest466m.jpg

Cheers, Ron...

Edited by Ron