Commuter Pains

discophish

Does anyone commute from the Caledon area to downtown Toronto? If so, can you suggest a route? Let's pick a day without rain or snow, or any other variable that drips more sweat behind the wheel. I know that one route may not be much better than the next, but I am especially curious to know how people are driving to Toronto. Both myself and my girlfriend are plugged by work and home in the downtown core, but have been looking in the Caledon area for a new place to live. We are going to make a few trail runs at different time intervals on various routes next week. It's a weak measure, but the experience will give us a better understanding of the commute for a nine to fiver. Timing is circumstantial, I know. It's weird. All I can think about is how this moving business will cut into my fishing time! I must be mad. I have a "gone fishing" sign instead of a "for sale" sign on my front yard right now. What the heck? Where did that come from?

Move to the east end! The Kawarthas at your doorstep. I work at Yonge/Eglinton and its about an hour commute each way. I live in Whitby and I'm 25 mins to Lake Scugog and another hour gets you to to a ton of lakes to fish. Good luck in your house hunting!

Thanks! I work at Yonge/Eglinton too! I only check in once a week though, even though I live in Little Italy. I know the head office you are at then because I remember who you work for! I'm just across the street from you, above the PB. I bet we have crossed paths. I know many from the east, and friends with places north of the Kawartha's, but I'm in Parry Sound most weekends at the cottage. I'm shaving off some "warrior" travel time as much as I can. Thanks for the luck! Perhaps we'll bump into each other if we haven't already!

I second CCMT and I know the west end commute is far worse than the east end commute :wallbash:

vance

I hear ya. My girlfriend and her family grew up in Whitby after coming from Edmonton. Try to convince them the west is better! Not a chance, although her parents moved to Barrie and brothers east and west. It's a tug-of-war, but all in fun. I have lived downtown my entire life after my parents came from BC. I think my roots are from the west, so I lean towards there ... especially when the sun sets haha

Wow! I have worked at Yonge/Eg for 17 years...I go to the food court there at least once a week! We probably have crossed paths. Heading up to Muskoka/Haliburton is not bad at all...hwy 12 to 169 to 11...even on long weekends the traffic always moves. I can be in Hunstville in 2 hours.

One thing about commuting from the west end...and it may seem "insignificant", but travelling into the bright sun both to and from work is a real pain! Can you tell I am an east ender??? Lol.

Did I mention all those Kawartha lakes?? Lol.

Is the plan to drive to work or are you cool with parking at a commuter hub and grabbing a GO / TTC train ? Either way, rush hour on any 400 series is going to be a test of patience imo. I'd also go n/w in spite of the blinding morning and afternoon sun, nice pair of Maui Jims will help with that problem :)

btw, you sure you really want to leave Little Italy ?

Wow! I have worked at Yonge/Eg for 17 years...I go to the food court there at least once a week! We probably have crossed paths. Heading up to Muskoka/Haliburton is not bad at all...hwy 12 to 169 to 11...even on long weekends the traffic always moves. I can be in Hunstville in 2 hours.

One thing about commuting from the west end...and it may seem "insignificant", but travelling into the bright sun both to and from work is a real pain! Can you tell I am an east ender??? Lol.

It's been 2 years now at that location. I was going in regularly for a year, but have become a bit lazy and only go in once, sometimes twice a week. You guys from the east need to put on some sun block and head west more often! hehe

Is the plan to drive to work or are you cool with parking at a commuter hub and grabbing a GO / TTC train ? Either way, rush hour on any 400 series is going to be a test of patience imo. I'd also go n/w in spite of the blinding morning and afternoon sun, nice pair of Maui Jims will help with that problem :)

btw, you sure you really want to leave Little Italy ?

Planning to drive to work once a week for myself, however, it will be a daily drive for my girlfriend. Funny you mention Maui's. I bought the MJ Sports this past summer and love them! I've been in the immediate area for 11 years now. It's a great area, a lot of buzz and flash, but time to move on.

It's been 2 years now at that location. I was going in regularly for a year, but have become a bit lazy and only go in once, sometimes twice a week. You guys from the east need to put on some sun block and head west more often! hehe

Planning to drive to work once a week for myself, however, it will be a daily drive for my girlfriend. Funny you mention Maui's. I bought the MJ Sports this past summer and love them! I've been in the immediate area for 11 years now. It's a great area, a lot of buzz and flash, but time to move on.

Woody is the place to be "central" close to everything but far enough out for a quick getaway. I also worked at Yonge and Eglinton across from CT for 10+ years and love the 45 min commute to Woody.

if i worked at yonge/eg and cottaged in parry hoot i'd be lookin for a home along the 400 towards barrie. esp with the go service now. from caledon you're kinda euchred. the 410 is a cluster.... as you go through brampton. you might be able to get away with cutting across over top of the city to hwy 50, then down to the 407 if tolls are acceptable or even the 400. or drive to georgetown to the go terminal there. i think even if you moved to barrie, your commute would not be any longer than from caledon.

Edited by Raf

I live in Caledon (Bolton specifically). You basically only have two choices to get downtown that are reasonably fast and direct. South on Hwy 50 to the 427 or across King Road (etc) to the 400. Obviously both are busy at rush hour and you are looking at a long drive (over an hour each way).

Despite the commute, I love living up here. The whole area is stunning, with rolling hils and mostly natural settings. It's also a great jump-off point to go north for fishing, skiing, cottages etc. Best part for me is having world-class fly fishing opportunities for wild Browns within a 20 minute drive!

Edited by wallacio

If you're looking at bolton, caledon east, or palgrave...then go king to 400 and down.

If you're looking at caledon village or western caledon.....you might look at glen williams/terra cotta instead and GO Train in from Georgetown. Area is very similar, but you'll probably add a couple of hrs of free time to your week.

Edited by cram

I drive from Barrie to the airport area just to get my work for the day. Then I could be downtown, Markham, kitch/waterloo, london, Belleville, Niagara, Mississauga etc.. .......you get the picture. lol Helps that I have a company truck though. Ahhhh....the life of a fibre splicer. :) I love it!

Edited by ckrb2007

I live 5 min outside of Tottenham(north of Caledon)and drive to either Scarborough or Bay/Wellington 3 times a week. If I had to do it more I wouldn't live in Tottenham. When going downtown Bay/Wellington I take 27, 427 and Gardiner, it takes me about 1:15 mins. I have always commuted so I am used to it. Do I like it no...but I do it...I just leave real early. I do have the option however to stay home on a snowy day.

If I had to work downtown every day, I would buy a house/condo in the City or something very close to the GO Train.

+1

East end rocks.. i do the same commute north often

Had co-workers, a couple, who commuted every single day from north of Oro Station to downtown Toronto. Wife hated it but hubs was the driver. She would just roll her eyes when I asked why they didn't buy a basic shoebox and live there during the week. Reclaiming the hours of their lives lost to commuting would more than make up for the cost of a rental or purchase of a bach condo imo.

Is this something that would be feasible for you and your girl Disco ?

That's why Caledon is so attractive! Good to know your commute time to Woodbridge. Taking 50 from there should be a breeze.

We have probably bumped into each other here as well! Don't hog all of that free beer they give out in the square!

Now we are getting too close to the inlaws in Barrie if we moved there. Shhh! Keep it down! She may reconsider. So no 410. Take 50 down. Well noted. Thanks

Thanks for this information. This is greatly appreciated. We are amazed by the area as well. 50 to 427 or King to the 400. We will try both routes. An hour each way is not bad at all. If you see some guy on your tail all the way to your trout holes, it's me ... now where is my fake mustache

We don't have the loud woo-woo's like you have! Kitchener to Newmarket. 15 minute commute!

Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking within the triangular parameters of Palgrave/Bolton/Caledon east. I will try the king to 400 route.

Want to buy a 118 year old Bathurst/College house to cut down your commute??!!

Nice picture! But .. but .. but ... at least the leaves stay on our trees longer than the boonies :whistling: Looks like yours is about to fall off!