Musky report

Fisherpete

Between the new baby, unrelenting work schedule and a move to Whitby, I have not had nearly as much time on the water this summer as last year's 108 musky season. Less than twenty have found their way into my boat this year, although I did put my friend Pat onto his PB 48" in June. My last four trips, all to the same go-to lake, have resulted in skunkings. Last summer, I was only skunked four times THE WHOLE SEASON. No joke! Mid June to late October! I had began to doubt my musky whispering skills...

I don't usually like to fish on weekends, but the weather forecast looked great, and after a 60+ hr work week, I decided to get on the water with my bud Patrick and relax. We both finished work around midnight Friday, headed from Toronto to Whitby and picked up the boat and gear, and took off to the lake. We arrived a bit after 3am, quickly unpacked and hit the sack.

Aspirations of a 6am starting time quickly disappeared as my head remained buried deep in the pillows. I finally woke up at 11am, rustled up a big and greasy breakfast, and we were off. The lake was busy with what appeared to be a bass tourney... and the bass seemed to be on! We saw a bunch of nice fish landed as we headed from spot to spot. There was absolutely no wind, which left the water crystal clear - too clear - we could see bottom even 12 to 14 feet down. A few hours later, Pat broke the ice... fish on and a nice one - his PB pike at 37". Soon after I finally broke my musky jinx and landed a feisty low 30's fish whick was released at boatside without ever leaving the water. We were now at the spot where I landed my PB last September, and I felt a twinge of excitement... on my first cast, fish on! But again, not a big one, and a water release. At least the bite was on... now if only we could find some with size. The remaining four hours of daylight produced nothing. It was getting pretty dark, and as we trolled back to the launch, Pat's rod went off... and by the scream of the clicker, it seemed to be a good one. As soon as he picked up the rod, he confirmed that: "This one is heavy Pete!" Big headshakes and bulldogging ensued... and just as the fish got close to the boat it surfaced, shook it's big head, and out came the hooks. One powerful thrust of it's tail sent it rocketing back to the deep. Pat got a pretty good look at her, and estimated her to be a mid forties fish, and thick. The obligatory moment of silence ensued, as we reset the gear and continued on. "Damn" was all Pat said a moment later... "Yup" I replied. That was it for the day. Still, 2/3 with a bonus PB pike was not too bad of a half day on the water. If that big one at the end had been landed, it would have been a good day.

Day two once again saw a late start, as sleep and food trumped an early start. We got on the water around noon, and there was a nice chop on the water. It looked promising, and it delivered. Less than 5 minutes after launching, my rod got slammed with a solid hit. This fish fought by a champ, and as I got her close, I realized that it was a good sized tiger muskie - only my second ever! As she slid into the cradle, mouth wide open, Pat yelled "HOLY CRAP PETE! THE TEETH ON THIS ONE!!!" and he was not kidding. This specimen boasted the most vicious set of teeth that I have seen on any pike or muskie. There was a DOUBLE row of main teeth lining the outside of the jaws, and even the smaller teeth on the front were nasty. What a predator! Check out the pics! She measured 36", a PB tiger for me, and had beautiful markings along with her savage weapons.

1tiger.jpg

1tiger2.jpg

2tiger.jpg

Day two was looking up! Things went quiet for a bit, but then we trolled a stretch where Pat caught three muskies in 40 minutes! Again, nothing big, but the fast action was fun.

3pat.jpg

4pat.jpg

5pat.jpg

Our next location was where Pat caught his PB this June, and it took about 15 minutes of trolling before my rod doubled over. I had forgotten to turn on the clicker, but heard the rod groan from the hit! I keep my Tekota's drag almost locked down, and this thing was peeling drag like crazy! As soon as I pulled the rod from the holder, the adrenaline started pumping. This was a good one. She stayed deep, and made several powerful runs. She did not approve of the boat, and tried to dive under it... luckily my 8' rod helped keep the line away from the hull. I saw that she only had one hook in her, right in the tip of the snout... so I decided to give it a shot, and we cradled her even though she was still a bit green. YESSSS!!!!! I shouted out as a summer of sub-40 inch frustration came to an end! She was not a happy camper, and strong as hell, and it took both of us to hold her down in the cradle. The one hook was in solidly, so I cut it with the Knipex, and hoisted her up for a quick pic. 46" of beauty ski! To my Team One teammates - I'm sorry... I honestly didn't even think about the tournament sign when we were handling her. It wasn't even far away in the tackle bag, but I just wanted to get her back in the water ASAP after the unhooking took a bit longer than I like.

6pete46.jpg

7pete46.jpg

That was the last fish for the weekend... but not bad, 7/8 for muskies with a season best 46" for me along with a PB 36" tiger, and Pat's incidental catch was a 37" PB pike. The boat is slimy once more, and sick as that it, it makes me verrrrry happy! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Fisherpete