NF.....thought I would post some of my work that I've done.

DT10Sam

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would post some of my taxidermy work that I have been doing lately and since the closure of the store I have been busy working out of the country but prefer to be at home doing my taxidermy work which I will be doing on a full time basis this fall.

I sure do miss seeing everyone that used to come into the store so now I keep a pot of coffee going for those that used to visit the store in the morning to shoot the breeze and tell lies are now coming to the shop and continuing with the tall tales. Beginning to be a good old boys club (bunch of liars that is), well enjoy the pics.

Regards,

Sam

IMG-20110901-00137.jpg

BrownTrout.jpg

Walleye.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

SpeckleTrout.jpg

Travers.jpg

MeensBuck01.jpg

GraydenBuck.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

Edited by DT10Sam

Some really nice work there!clapping.gif

Do you have a website or contact #? I'm looking to get a few done up. Thanks in advance

I just have a splash page up until I get all of my work ready for a website. You can email me from the splash page and I will post it in my signature as well.

The site is Sam's Taxidermy

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Sam

Really nice, Sam! I don't know about our furry friends but you certainly have the bass and walleye dialed in. Congrats to you.

Thanks Roy the furry friends were to excite TJ since he seems to like to post his deer hunt in here LOL, so I thought I would just excite him a bit.

Thanks Roy the furry friends were to excite TJ since he seems to like to post his deer hunt in here LOL, so I thought I would just excite him a bit.

Hell yeah, fur really gets his dander up. And you don't want to be anywhere near TJ when his dander's up. :)

Thank you for the kind words everyone and I will answer some questions that have been sent to me.

Most taxidermists price their fish from $8.00 - $15.00 per linear inch and the size of the girth does not matter. Also a good photograph will come in extremely handy in order to get the proper colouration of the fish. When a skin mount is ready for painting the skin is usually a very dark grey or black in colour so photographs are extremely important. Anyone who does do fish under $8.00 per linear inch is a sign of maybe checking there work to make sure that you will be satisfied with their talents. There is plenty of work out there for everyone and sometimes taxidermists will be secretive and have the ability to verbally destroy other taxidermists work. I have been doing taxidermy for a very long time and know all of the players in the field and am familiar with their work. The key is to do quality work for your client and hopefully make a little bit of money at it while working smarter than harder. Remember that full time taxidermists have a shop and overhead to pay for and my challenge is to keep it as low as possible when we are getting hit with rising costs in everything.

I also do reproduction work at least in the fish category as big game can rarely fall in the category of catch and release. LOL I know some are conservationists as we all miss our shots often enough.

As for my pricing it will not be a secret as everyone finds out whenever they call me. I charge for both cold and warm water fish $10.00 per linear inch and on cold water species I reproduce the heads so that it eliminates the oil leakage issue. I do use the same fins on all of my mounts and if you wish to have reproduction tail and fins then it will be $2.00 extra per inch on all skin mounts. Usually it is the tail and fins that get damaged on all skin mounts. I guess there are people that just have to touch fins and tails on a fish.

As for reproductions the range is normally a lot more and they start from $15.00 - $24.00 per linear inch and I'm at $16.00 per linear inch making it affordable for many that like reproductions. Habitat is extra depending on what the client likes to have with their mount.

As for deer head should mounts the price is $ 500.00. Again the going rate is anywhere from $350.00 - $800.00. Moose and Elk are more obviously as there is more involved.

The pic that I posted above are spring brown trout, large mouth bass and walleye are skin mounts and the small mouth bass and brook trout are reproductions. Presently I'm working on an elk mount and a reproduction rainbow trout that is going to Alberta when completed. I will post the pics when they are done.

Hopefully I have answered any concerns on pricing as if you have any questions feel free to email me or call me at (613) 397-2175.

Regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam