NF - first accident

ch312

so, the gf was stopped at a red light and someone rear ended her which pushed my gf into the guy in front of her. the lead guy left after saying his car wasnt damaged. im hoping this doesnt come back on the girlfriend for stopping too close to the guy in front.

they exchanged info and the rear ender said she was going to the police to report the accident.

its my car and insurance so odds are ill be the one dealing with this.

what is the next step after the gf goes to the cop shop?

Before you call the insurance company make sure you want to go with them.

Once you call and report an accident it goes on your file as an claim weather you make a claim or not and can count against you in the future - had this happen with me where the repair was the same as deductible.

Dan

The lead guy she hit won't have anything to do with it, unless there is front end damage to your car and trying to claim it. When rear ended from behind the person hitting from the rear is at fault, so your GF shouldnn't have any issues. If the lead guy was making a report as well, your gf's defense is that she was pushed into him, but that's not the case (he not making report).

First of all, is your gf OK?

Second, she should have called the cops right then and there. Rear ending someone is an automatic charge of careless driving which is a serious charge (usually reduced to following too close in court). That way if the other driver (in front of your gf) ever did file a complaint, he could have been charged with leaving the scene since he didn't stick around. Was there much damage to the front of your car? It will be interesting to see if the person that rear ended your gf actually did go to the police and file a report, I doubt it, she was at fault! Call the police and find out now, I assume your gf got all the required information, call your insurance company and ask them what they need from you. You should be ok, uninsured motorest coverage is standard in Ontario I believe so as long as your gf can prove what happened you should be fine.

Let us know how this plays out, it will be interesting!

She who reports last.. ends up charged in most cases. I hope she went straight to a reporting station..

Yup - what he said. Make sure your gf files the report at the reporting station within the required time(24 hrs). Hopefully you have all the info on the person that hit you / her. If they happen to not have insurance (like they quit paying the bill after they got the slip for the full 12 months), um it gets interesting. I have the (mis) fortune of doing this as a part of my job - feel free to pm me if it goes sideways. I know a few people who can help. On the bright side, if they all have coverage, your insurance company will be able to subrogate the dude 's who hit you. With a fight, you can keep it off your record. We had a guy T bone us and roll us ove a few years ago r. I had to educate the underwriter a bit at renewal time - but we got no increases as a result.

thanks everyone for all of the input. ive been lucky enough to not have to deal with an accident until now.

reporting center said $1000. the corolla took it pretty good, but it needs a new bumper. id say it will probably be more than that. they went to the reporting center together but it was closed so she said she'd go back later.

the gf is at the clinic now with a sore back.

should we ask her pay the repair bill or call insurance to cover her ass if she has problems with her back? i wonder because of the somewhat minor visible damage to the car.

the cause? she hit the gas instead of the brake...

If your gf has back pain, get insurance involved,now. It may be nothing - nothing lost. It maybe more. You have a year report the claim, but with a potential BI, dont wait; waiting opens too many questions as to why you didnt report it at the time.

If your gf has back pain, get insurance involved,now. It may be nothing - nothing lost. It maybe more. You have a year report the claim, but with a potential BI, dont wait; waiting opens too many questions as to why you didnt report it at the time.

Yes, absolutely, definitely, go through insurance... do think the other drive is going to pay your girl friend's salary if she has to take time of work?

Also best to report the accident as soon as possible when it is clearly the other drivers fault. Also, there is no 24 hour period for reporting an accident. It must be reported right away.

Yes, absolutely, definitely, go through insurance... do think the other drive is going to pay your girl friend's salary if she has to take time of work?

Also best to report the accident as soon as possible when it is clearly the other drivers fault. Also, there is no 24 hour period for reporting an accident. It must be reported right away.

To just adress the 24 hour comment My link

you do have 24 hours

She got rear ended while at a stop light. There is no way in hell she is getting charged or blamed for anything unless someone has a video of her going in reverse. I think the fresh damage on the front will back her and you up too.

It would have been better if you got the license of the person in front of you, as someone already said the insurance might give you a hard time on the front depending on what the at fault driver says.

Don't let the other posts in this thread worry you, they are talking out of their ass if a cop wants to be a jerk they can do what they want but you and GF are safe.

You wont' get charged for leaving the scene of an accident. There was no injury, damage to property and it was a minor fender bender.

if the damage is below a certain amount it does not have to be reported to the collision center either. In Durham I was told it was a 48 hour window (by the collision center), in Toronto it looks like 24.

I found it interesting that the at fault person said they were going to call the police on themselves. The cops won't really care though unless they want to take a confession.

This is what I would/did do (the wife was in the SAME situation):

1) get license and insurance info from both drivers.

2) get the damage inspected and inform the rear ending person what the cost is

3) report to a collision center if you are going through insurance or are obligated too.

4) let the insurance or your at fault person take care of the bills. The insurance company may option to charge the deductable.

BTW: those collision repair centers they send you to are often garbage and provide the lowest quality of parts, labour and service. Don't be tempted by the insurance companies lifetime warranty talk. Find your own good rep repair shop.

Whitbyboatguy is correct...... she will not be at fault, and your insurance rates will not go up.

I was the front guy in a chain reaction rear ender. The only guy charged was the one who plowed into the group at the back, the other two were pushed into the cars ahead of them. The insurance for the guy behind me did call me and ask "how many impacts did you feel". I told them one. They were trying to determine if he hit me and then was hit in his rear end after the fact, in which case I would have felt two impacts.

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess