braid issue

tightline

Just curious whether or not any of you have experienced this. Took my Ugly stick river fishing for smallies on Saturday, let the first cast rip, started to retrieve and I notice its not coming back??? I check my drag setting..all good..scratch my head..yep its still on right..start to reel again and to my surprise the line is actually not moving on my reel?? I've used this rod all summer for the river and never had an issue, figured I'd try to wet the line on the spool hoping it would cause enough friction to get it back but didn't work. To my dismay I spooled the whole dang thing off in the water and reeled it back in but why did this happen in the first place?

Thought it was an isolated incident but I just talked to another friend who said he had the same thing happen on the weekend. Anybody ever experience this...solutions??

Did you put any mono backing on the spool before you spooled up with braid?

If not, I'm very sure that could be the reason. I've had it happen a few times before with spools of straight PowerPro (no mono backing) always in colder temps.

You used it all summer and this is the first time this happened? That seems a bit odd. :dunno:

Mono or tape work very well.

I prefer to use the mono method 'cause I like to fill the spool up a bit with some backing to save on expensive braid.

Some of the new reels have arbors that you can direct tie the braid to them, I still use mono backing.

You used it all summer and this is the first time this happened? That seems a bit odd. :dunno:

Mono or tape work very well.

I prefer to use the mono method 'cause I like to fill the spool up a bit with some backing to save on expensive braid.

Some of the new reels have arbors that you can direct tie the braid to them, I still use mono backing.

You have more lures and rods than I could ever hope for and your worried about saving 75yrds of braid? Haha, I see your point though, I do the same thing ... The mono also helps fill the spool when the braid is very thin diameter.

You have more lures and rods than I could ever hope for and your worried about saving 75yrds of braid?

...by saving on line he can afford to buy more lures. I do the same thing, and then next year I'll reverse it from one rod to the other! Get double the use out of line.

I always use a backing, but I usually use tip-up line from ice fishing and I've never had a problem with my line slipping.

...by saving on line he can afford to buy more lures. I do the same thing, and then next year I'll reverse it from one rod to the other! Get double the use out of line.

And if he's got 8 reels to spool up that's 600 yards of line he saves. Depending on the application, I can spool 3 reels easily for bass and never see my backing with one spool of 150 yard braid. Then like rizzo said, switch it onto anther reel and it's almost like having new line! Braid can be very cheap or very expensive, it all depends on how you use it.

I'm a fan of filling up 1/3 of the spool with mono, then add braid. To the guys that use the electrical tape: as you near the end of your line on the spool, does the line slip then? I ask because you never know when the biggun will come and start peeling drag.

The exact same thing happened to me. Worst part is I knew better just forgot the backing. I like the mono backing, saves on braid.

I've never tried it but my buddy puts 6" of hockey tape on the arbor and then ties the braid on. No slipping there either.

I also use hockey tape, it works very well!

keep your hooks sharp!

The issue you're experiencing is probably the result of your spool getting wet, the line expanding, then drying. When the line dries it doesn't tighten back up and you're left with loose line and slipping. My preferred method of spooling braid is to use the foam stickies that come with a retail pack of PowerPro, and attach the line to the spool with an Arbor Knot.

IF you use a mono backing and fish for anything that just might possibly spool you could make sure it is not the mono backing that is going to break because if it is the thing to go then you just left a $#@@@ long length of line in the water:

A) for someone to catch their prop on?

B) for the first to drag around until it tangles something else and kills the fish?

C) to spend money on replacing it?

D) to ruin the rest of the day because you are down one rod?

E) all of the above?