Nasty weather headed our way!!

Headhunter

Thanks for the heads up!

Interesting that they'd go straight to the tornado watch instead of a severe thunderstorm watch first. They generally look at storm cells with rotation and a hook before issuing tornado watches and warnings. The system hasn't even developed yet...they are "expecting" it to this afternoon as a cold front sweeps through.

My perception (take that for what it might be worth) is that after a tornado they tend to issue watches/warnings a little more readily for a while. They run the risk of people not taking the warning seriously though, so they are darned if they do, and darned if they don't.

My perception (take that for what it might be worth) is that after a tornado they tend to issue watches/warnings a little more readily for a while. They run the risk of people not taking the warning seriously though, so they are darned if they do, and darned if they don't.

I think you are right. After that F-3 hit Goderich last weekend they seem to have a larger area and way sooner warning of potential. The watch extends from Parry Sound down to Windsor and nothing is to happen still for hours. Maybe nothing will happen even?

Tornado watch extended eastward now includes Toronto, Durham, Kawarthas, Bancroft, Belleville, Quinte.

Grey Bruce now has upgraded to severe thunderstorm warning.

Keep your eyes on the skies if you are out there!

If you are on the water and are reading the board with a smartphone, click on this link and your browser will open to environment canada's radar site...

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WKR

Link to weather watches and warnings...

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/warnings_e.html

Edited by ccmt

Tornado watch extended eastward now includes Toronto, Durham, Kawarthas, Bancroft, Belleville, Quinte.

Grey Bruce now has upgraded to severe thunderstorm warning.

Keep your eyes on the skies if you are out there!

Ya, all of southern Ontario east to Belleville/Pembroke now under Tornado watch. Never seen this before.

That F-3 last weekend in Goderich really has made them cautious.

Ya, all of southern Ontario east to Belleville/Pembroke now under Tornado watch. Never seen this before.

That F-3 last weekend in Goderich really has made them cautious.

I'm somewhat a weather buff and I agree, I haven't seen a Tornado watch that covers such a vast area. Batten down the hatches just in case everyone!

I'm somewhat a weather buff

Hey Cliff, I remember posting this picture a few years back of a very strange cloud formation over my house that I'd never seen before, and you came up with a name for it right away.

Hafta admit I was pretty impressed :lol:

Cnv0026-2.jpg

Hey Cliff, I remember posting this picture a few years back of a very strange cloud formation over my house that I'd never seen before, and you came up with a name for it right away.

Cnv0026-2.jpg

[/quote

Lew, I believe they ar callede Altocumilus]

Cnv0026-2.jpg

Wow. Amazing! What is the name of that kind of clouds?

Wow. Amazing! What is the name of that kind of clouds?

Those clouds are actually called mammatus. Mammatus are found on the back end of severe thunderstorm complexes only. You might see them today but they don't always occur.

Back to the weather...........

Whtas happening in your area??

06:30 PM Light fluffy clouds and blue skies to the east...dark ominus looking clouds to the west and moving eastward in a hurry...