Slightly Different Kind of Report (pics)

Jigs

Hey guys, Hope everyone is doing well.

Thought I'd share something a little different. Although I do love catching fish I get a kick out of putting on a mask and getting down there up close and personal with them.

Keep in mind it's not easy especially considering I'm usually in strong current and about 20 feet down so the pictures aren't National Geographic quality but you get the idea. The one where the little walleye is staring at the camera came out pretty well though. I must have been 3-4 inches from his snout at one point. Curious little fella.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

Oh and I threw in a couple of nice ones I put in the boat from last weekend and one yesterday for good measure. wink.gif The first is 6.1lbs, the second 7lbs, which is my personal best so far this year.

snorkeling5.jpg

snorkeling6.jpg

snorkeling2.jpg

snorkeling4.jpg

snorkeling7.jpg

snorkeling3.jpg

snorkeling8.jpg

Juillet2011005.jpg

snorkelineW1.jpg

snorkeling1.jpg

Holy school of bass and walters batman!!

Awesome pics!

Yeah they school up together. The pics don't do it justice there were a lot more. I'd guess at least 15-20. Also I can only see so far I was on a sharp ledge that drops into 50 feet and fish were everywhere from 5-10 feet to as far as I could see so like 30 feet or so.

Really cool to swim with them in the current. I definitely need to get my scuba license.

Was that in the St. Lawrence? Is that an american eel? If so it's nice to see them. When I was a kid we used to catch them all the time around Lancaster. Apparently they have all but disappeared. Thanks for sharing.

Yes sir, It sure is.

I used to see them everywhere. When I was a kid they'd show up by the hundreds in the shallows at night. I saw one coiled up like a cobra once in 2 inches of water in a boat ramp. They were all over the place.

Definitely dropped in numbers dramatically. I've heard anything from damming to over-fishing to disease as far as explanations go. But one thing is for sure they are in trouble whatever the reason(s) may be.

Now it's pike that seem to be dwindling in numbers in the area. You used to catch pike everywhere here but now they're rare. dunno.gif

Walleyes and bass are doing just fine though it seems.

sweet pics... and congradulations on the nice walters... i keep thinking about snorkling my spots but never end up doing it... i can see bass and walleye from the boat... cant imagine how many id see with a mask...

keep it up... and maybe i will see you this weekend... mercman and mrs.mercman are coming up again and we are gunna try for some walleye...

Yes sir, It sure is.

I used to see them everywhere. When I was a kid they'd show up by the hundreds in the shallows at night. I saw one coiled up like a cobra once in 2 inches of water in a boat ramp. They were all over the place.

Definitely dropped in numbers dramatically. I've heard anything from damming to over-fishing to disease as far as explanations go. But one thing is for sure they are in trouble whatever the reason(s) may be.

Now it's pike that seem to be dwindling in numbers in the area. You used to catch pike everywhere here but now they're rare. dunno.gif

Walleyes and bass are doing just fine though it seems.

pike on lake st.francis are rare now... but closer to cornwall is still pretty healthy with pike...

pike on lake st.francis are rare now... but closer to cornwall is still pretty healthy with pike...

On our side of the dam Mike? Or up near Long-Sault you mean?

Nice to see you out there Saturday. I had a much better day Sunday btw.

And yeah snorkeling my spots is something I try and do pretty often. Use all the electronic or paper maps you want there is nothing like the real thing to pinpoint where the eyes are holding on structure. It's hard though with the current. You need someone in the boat to follow you unless the spot is small. I tend to not like venturing too far from the boat in the current especially on the weekend with the other boaters out there.

Edited by Jigs

On our side of the dam Mike? Or up near Long-Sault you mean?

Nice to see you out there Saturday. I had a much better day Sunday btw.

And yeah snorkeling my spots is something I try and do pretty often. Use all the electronic or paper maps you want there is nothing like the real thing to pinpoint where the eyes are holding on structure. It's hard though with the current. You need someone in the boat to follow you unless the spot is small. I tend to not like venturing too far from the boat in the current especially on the weekend with the other boaters out there.

Both sides... Big pike above the dam... And this spring I tried pike fishing... Got 16 in the Cornwall area with a couple 7-9 lb fish...

And Sunday was better for me as well... 11 walleye in 3-4 hours and lost a biggun

Edited by Musky Mike

Awesome shots Andre clapping.gif I'm gonna start calling you Aquaman ! Those fish look like they know you pretty well. Its like they are saying hi to an old friend.thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks for sharing with us.

Ha ha. I showed these pics to my neighbour when I got home last night and he said pretty much the exact same thing. Right down to calling me aquaman.

You're going to have a blast fishing with Mike next week my friend. Enjoy!

BTW... the guys i had out were asking if i knew "JIGGER"

i told em yes... then after we saw you i told em you were jigger from youtube... they were so exited... youd think they just saw bob izumi...lol

way to go rockstar...

rofl2.gif

Gold!

Little did they know they were in a boat with a much better fisherman. I just take a lot of pics and vids. biggrin.gif

Edited by Jigs

used to see them everywhere. When I was a kid they'd show up by the hundreds in the shallows at night. I saw one coiled up like a cobra once in 2 inches of water in a boat ramp. They were all over the place.

I watched a cooking show where they showed farming for the eels on the Larry. That could be the reason for the decrease. Large market for them. :dunno:

Great report.

I watched a cooking show where they showed farming for the eels on the Larry. That could be the reason for the decrease. Large market for them. :dunno:

Great report.

Thanks.

I had never heard of farming for eels on the St-Lawrence. I knew about the commercial fishery but not farming.

Makes you wonder where all the eels in sushi shops in Ott-Mtl-Tor come from.

Worth reading into.