FOREST FIRES AND FLY-IN FISHING

SIMCOEBOB

With the many forest fires burning in Ontario--I'm just thinking of the time we were caught norht of the Albany River caught in a forest fire. We were always told to get in the boat and stay in the middle of the lake and hope it passes through--Hopefully your not on a small Lake. This lake was a good size and seen the Thunderstorm two days prior with the orange glow in the middle of the night getting closer and closer--we grab our personal belongings and into the night filled with smoke and extreme heat from the fire--We were at one time thinking of getting right into the water with our life jackets on--but held off---it was like a freight train coming through and would leave no ground untouched--you couldn't outrun these things and besides the water was safer. So I'm hoping that all outfitters taht have people in there--either get them out or tell them the samr thing---it's not pretty as there's no place to run except one way. A scarey night it was and the next day the ground was scarred except where our cabin was--it seemed it jumped that whole area. But to see and experiance the night glow and how the lighting started the fire two days prior was amazing.

Keep SAFE Everyone and keep the boat filled with gas. Its a hot,hot dry season up there and more fires to come.

Cheers Bob

I highly suspect some fly in trips will be cancelled depending on the area.

We are currently in Stratford preparing to accept 200 evacuees from the fires up north. Due to arrive sometime tomorrow but these things have a habit of changing.

Rick

We have been lucky where are camp is located,,,,,,EddieNorth.com

There is a small fire 70 miles north of us and a small fire 10 miles south a few small ones 100 miles plus east of us.Weve a had a few smoke clouds come through but really nothing.West of us must be a disaster some of those fires 50 miles to our west are massive in size,,,,we have a sat phone and internet here for emergencies and we are at the camp full time throughout the year.Rained hard last night with lots of thunder and lightning.Some other outfitters are not so lucky,if I could help any of them out I would in a flash,,,,

Cheers,

Eddie

It is common for smoke to be in our forecast in the summer. Yesterday was a smoke day in fact. This morning when I woke up at around 6 am, I looked out the window and it was like I was wearing yellow tinted sunglasses. Everything had a yellow tint to it in the early morning sun.

never thought about fires

Saw you were flying out of Wawa Terry, where to?

Up here in Thunder Bay at my workplace, our local university Lakehead University, our student residences have been inundated with firefighters from out of province and in province. They are flown in here and stay here for 2 days of classroom orientation before they go out to the fire line. We just had over 200 of them from the Yukon and NWT get their orientation on working in Ontario and all the rules and regulations dealing with OMNR fire rules and regulations, procedures, etc.

Here is a fire map updated within the last 4 hrs. I believe:

http://forest.lrc.gov.on.ca/AFFM/fire/interactivemap/firemap_English.htm

Just got back from Nakina with the kids, GREAT trip! First 5 days or so the sky was entirely covered with fire smoke.

Wasn't really a concern, if the fire came close you could easily escape it on one of the main lake islands.

But then back in my younger days on one of my solo canoe trips north of Armstrong I was forced to portage through a forest fire and that didn't really faze me. :)

Not exactly the best flying weather right now. Hot, humid air and flat water makes for some very long takeoff runs, especially on floats.

This is so true , I work for Air Canada and last week a couple of our planes had to be brought back to the gate and the load had

to be re configured in the cargo holds because the weight and balance figures were off and the plane would not be able to take off(rotate)due to the high temps. and humidity.There is not much lift in that thick air and these big birds were using the "whole" north/south runnway too get off the ground,it is quite the site to see a 777 get a running start coming off the taxi way and power up so close !

But then back in my younger days on one of my solo canoe trips north of Armstrong I was forced to portage through a forest fire and that didn't really faze me. :)

Dude, we all know you're crazy :) :) Hope you had a good time bud!

Just got back from Nakina with the kids, GREAT trip! First 5 days or so the sky was entirely covered with fire smoke.

Wasn't really a concern, if the fire came close you could easily escape it on one of the main lake islands.

You certainly have to respect the power of the wilderness. As I know you do. Was that the 2005 fire on Wabakimi?

Pleased that you and your family had a great trip! Can't wait to hear.

You certainly have to respect the power of the wilderness. As I know you do. Was that the 2005 fire on Wabakimi?

Pleased that you and your family had a great trip! Can't wait to hear.

No it would have been the summer of 1994. Both sides of the Allanwater River were on fire as I paddled downstream towards Wabakimi lake.

That night I camped on the north shore of Wabakimi and watched the entire south shore burn all night long.

Quite a show, very cool.

No it would have been the summer of 1994. Both sides of the Allanwater River were on fire as I paddled downstream towards Wabakimi lake.

That night I camped on the north shore of Wabakimi and watched the entire south shore burn all night long.

Quite a show, very cool.

Clills down my spine.

You know I go to Wabakimi every year and have seen and witnessed much. On certain years we have a doctor in our party(seams like we always need him). He had to set a leg of some unforfunate guy who couldn't make Sturgeon falls. Another time, he performed emergency tracheotomy on another canoeist. We outpost guys ain't so bad.

I think that canoe trip from Allenwater into Wabakimi is very cool and on my bucket list if I could even do it.

Clills down my spine.

You know I go to Wabakimi every year and have seen and witnessed much. On certain years we have a doctor in our party(seams like we always need him). He had to set a leg of some unforfunate guy who couldn't make Sturgeon falls. Another time, he performed emergency tracheotomy on another canoeist. We outpost guys ain't so bad.

I think that canoe trip from Allenwater into Wabakimi is very cool and on my bucket list if I could even do it.

An emergency tracheotomy? Wow, it would be interesting to hear the whole story.

The Allanwater downstream from the tracks into Wabakimi is very easy.

Mild rapids, easy portages (as long as they're not burning :D ) great scenery and good fishing.

Anyone with the most basic of canoe skills could do that trip.