Fishing Kasshabog Lake

Headhunter

Hey folks,

I have a cottage rented for a week starting July 23rd. I have never fished the lake, but looking at some on-line info, it appears as though there are not any Pickereyes in the lake.

Has this been your experience? I would be very surprised that a Kawartha area lake has no eyes...

Anyway, not looking for specific spots, just any experience you may have had on this body of water... pretty sure the kids and I are gonna put a hurtin on the pannies while we are there!

HH

There are walleyed in there, just hard to find. Try weedlines and rocky points. I ice fish there quite a bit and do decently on the eyes. This lake is stocked every other year with walleye. No pickerel in there though! Lots of smallies and some decent musky as well

Thanks to all who replied here as well as to the many who PM'd me!

As this is a family vacation and I have a 7 year old and a 9 year old, we will be hunting the mighty pan fish... should turn out to be a great week of fun!

Thanks again everyone!

HH

As this is a family vacation and I have a 7 year old and a 9 year old

As a kid in the 50's we used to camp at Kashabog all the time Joe.

Forgot I had this picture but that's me standing on the rock with my dad, and my bro on the raft in 1960. We probably started camping there around 1956 and I woulda been 14 at the time of this picture but I still have many great memories of the lake and hopefully your little guys will make some alot of great memories too.

I remember there used to be an unlimited supply of smallies but no idea about today.

Nov0504.jpg

Lew, it sounds like your family and mine camped at Kasshabog through the same time period. Ain't that a hoot? Many fond memories for sure. We're very near the same age, I turned 15 in Oct. of 60.

Lew, it sounds like your family and mine camped at Kasshabog through the same time period. Ain't that a hoot? Many fond memories for sure. We're very near the same age, I turned 15 in Oct. of 60.

Small world for sure Bob.

We used to camp near an old hermit that lived beside the lake in a beat up blue school bus. He was a good ole dude though and used to take me & my brother out fishing for catfish...ring any bells ??

Funny thing though cause I now live only a few miles from Kashabog yet haven't been back in decades.

We used to rent a cottage on Kasshabog back in the 70's and remembered the largemouth bass fishing to be great. I can remember fishing at the top end of the lake where there was a working mine where they used to blow the heck out of the side of the mountain. They never warned us about this when we rented the cottage but found out about it pretty quick we would go and sit in that bay fishing and hoping they would blast away great memories!! Not sure if they still mine in the area haven't been back since.

Kawartha Kev

No bells Lew. The place we camped was a free campground that had a little beach and a small island about a quarter mile out from the beach. We had a lot of feeds of catfish and froglegs done in foil in the coals of the campfire. I don't remember how many campsites there were exactly but couldn't have been more than 20. More than once I had a musky steal a bass off my line while fishing a big cabbage patch between the beach and the island.

• 2 years later...

Headhunter, how did that trip go?

We're considering a cottage on that lake this summer for a week. I've never laid eyes on the lake, and don't know anyone who has fished it. Just searching for some info on it, and this thread came up on google lol

S.

Kash is an excellent lake. My buddies family has a cottage there, And we where up often in our 20's. Did very well on bass and musky. Trolling was the ticket for the musky. I can't seem to think of one that we caught while casting, but we trolled up many suspended fish along the rock faces on Kash. Big body baits did the trick! Great lake to fish... And party on, lol! I haven't been up since the kids though!

we did a late season bass trip there two years ago....

beautiful lake...not swampy like so many of the kawartha bog lakes.

we found muskie around many area's. nothing big, but aggressive.

we found some ok bass.....numbers, but not much in the way of size....likely due to the standard "kawartha pressure".

reminded me a lot of lower buckhorn (just with more pressure).

I now have a cottage on Lower Buckhorn and you are correct Steve in your comparison of it from what I remember from fishing Kashabog when I was a kid although Lower Buckhorn is now a lot more weed infested then when I first got the cottage back in the 80's never had any luck finding the muskies on Kashabog but remember lots of big largemouth bass. Great memories for sure!!

Kawartha Kev

Love it when an old thread comes up and stirs the memories.

Edited by Kawartha Kev

Im not much of a bass guy, so looks like i'll have to figure out the eyes and musky. Its a pretty big lake...weird that ive never been to it all these years. Im looking forward to it!

Thanks for the info!

S.

Kosh is my home lake. I have a cottage on it and know it very well. Awesome bass lake. Also lotsa walleye. Just remember to release the big ones. I grew up wishing to be able to fish walleye there and now that I can I see a lot of fish being taken. Decent muskie but not a lot as they would never have stocked it with walleye if it had a high muskie population. Im not sure of the beach campground? There is a beach and places to camp but its not permitted anymore.